Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can RAM cause PC to freeze? Everything in my case is pretty much 20-35 degrees, except for videocard. that is 38-51 depending on the game and how long it's running for. The ram I have does not have heatsinks, I got the RAM cuz thats what newegg reccommended with the motherboard. Could the RAM be overheating and causing pc to freeze? If so, any well known heatsinks to buy for RAM?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
DDR2 generally runs pretty cool (as opposed to GDDR2 which was a failure).

Try setting the system timings back to optimal, rather then agressive.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Yes. Bad, dying, or faulty ram can crash/freeze and failure to boot or POST.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Everest will also tell you the SSVT requirement on DDR modules. (the SPD informs the system about requirements for Auto values)

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
I cannot help yous with your situation here as I am still basically a Noob, but it's the RAM that ****s it up for me everytime when my system crashes..

I know it's Dominator, but I musta got me a bad stick cause it refused to even POST with the full 4 GB....

If you can get IN when you got bad RAM, you're lucky, at least you can do that...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
most of the time, its the modules which make up the higher range memory that fails, so unless you do alot of memory intensive tasks, problems won't even appear.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its been happening about every 40mins-hour now. Without uTorrent running, so it's not that. Any programs to see whats going on with the hard drive. I know ATI CCC had something like that. Also is there somthing to monitor the RAM staus.

·
Registered
443 Posts
run memtest and let it go through a couple passes, see if there are any errors.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
i know a few years back when i played final fantasy xi still, i had crashing issues for multiple games and at that time i believed it was the games, it was not until i moved over to wow which was more intensive on ram that the problem fully came to light, which at that time i ram memtest to find out my ram was surely dieing on me and had been for over a year. so to answer your question as everyone else has, i would check your ram, run multiple tests which will give a more definitive answer as to how bad off your ram may be, if you have multiple sticks, remove one at a time until you get no more errors, or take them all out and test one at a time, that may also help find just which ones are going bad on you.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Also incompatibility between ram and mobo can cause freezes though since it they were recommended together at newegg i dont think that's the problem

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Edit: Wrong thread xD. Stupid forums doesn't let u delete :lol:

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I for one also think 1000W would be to much (except for a powerfull SLI/crossfire build, depending on what you use it could be to much even with this), at least for me and at times i do happen to hook alot of devices to my PC even so my 450W source hasnt once failed me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts