Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
the emulation youtuber
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im planning on getting some new parts for my pc but have realised it may not be able to take what i initally wanted and may have to downgrade what i get.

I am currently running on:

430W PSU
Core2Duo E6400 @ stock 2.13Ghz
Gigabyte 965P S3 motherboard
Asus 7600GT 256MB DDR3
Seagate 500GB HDD
Corsair 667Mhz 3GB Ram

---------------------

I just want to upgrade my GPU and CPU to:

Gigabyte 9800GT DDR3 1GB

and

Core2Duo E7500 / E7600

---------------------

Will my PC be able to take these upgrades. If not what should i look for instead or should i just upgrade my PSU to about 500W??

Any help or advice would be great :D

cheers,

iNexXxuS

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I don't see why not. The only question mark to me is the PSU. 430W PSU says nothing (and I hope it's not a certain Thermaltake essentially rebranded one I'm thinking of). Elaborate on that part.

·
the emulation youtuber
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't see why not. The only question mark to me is the PSU. 430W PSU says nothing (and I hope it's not a certain Thermaltake essentially rebranded one I'm thinking of). Elaborate on that part.
oops sorry :p

i dont know the name of the PSU. Its an antec. I have an antec NSK6580 case and it came with a 430W Power Supply.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
replace it.
seriously.

Antec PSU's are ****.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Well, as long as they work. :p Truth be told, I stuffed a 4GHz Core 2 Quad and a 9800GTX into an Antec PSU with 450W before.

As long as it's adequately cooled... Most PSUs explode only because you neglect their cooling. And seriously, PSUs might well be the hottest component in a machine.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Antec psu's have weak ass 12v lines.

those caps be popping in months.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ThermalTakes are the tough powers!
lol

·
the emulation youtuber
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so it is possible for me to do what i want, it just needs good cooling and may buckle. ok cool well i'll look into it.
I've had this rig for 2years now so it might be an idea to replace the psu as well. anyone got a recommendation?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Corsair, or ThermalTakes Tough Power.
Silverstone.... i've heard good and bad about...

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
You could try with the Antec, if you're lucky it'll do just fine. They just don't have the highest reliability.

Your motherboard seems to be of an old type though, before the P35 even. Though most likely the default frequency (333MHz bus, if I'm not mistaken) shouldn't be a problem, seeing how DDR800 is supported as well.

·
the emulation youtuber
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well you guys have given me alot to think about.
It seems it may be able to take it, but only just, and may not last a while anyway.

I'll probably be better off selling it and buying a new box, i've had this thing for 2 years going on 3 so it's time for an upgrade i think :)

Thannks for your help and advice too :thumb:

------------------------

BTW: Cid Highwind, my motherboards FSB is 1066Mhz.... um yea, just thought i'd add to the rough description i pit down 1st :p - sorry :(

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
BTW: Cid Highwind, my motherboards FSB is 1066Mhz.... um yea, just thought i'd add to the rough description i pit down 1st :p - sorry :(
No its not.
the motherboards base FSB is 266.5.
The cpu's effective FSB is 1066.

This is the end of todays computer lesson

·
the emulation youtuber
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No its not.
the motherboards base FSB is 266.5.
The cpu's effective FSB is 1066.

This is the end of todays computer lesson
I meant that it cant go higher than 1066. The multiplyer is a x8 and cant go up anymore... so i cant overclock anything :( - if i do it'll die sooner i guess....

Sorry about that. If i had the next revision of the mb (3.3) it can handle a cpu up to 1333Mhz.
There are two versions of this mb, i was just trying to clarify which one i had.
I'm not an expert on it... so sorry about being a little bit of noob on that front :emb:

·
The 7th Key
510 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
yeah..... no its not.

they are lasting longer, thats all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.