Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the scene. So, please accept my sincere apologises if I have commented on something that may irritate you. Perhaps, I should have re-searched a bit better because I have a funny feeling that this question may have been answered before.

Anyway, I have just built this PC about a few good years ago. After hearing about this ePSXe thing, I have gave it a try and ran it with the default settings (the settings from the gpuPeteOpenGL2 plugin.) It ran just fine, no problem whatsoever. However, I just want to know if it's possible to enhance my experience by using the highest settings.

My PC consists of:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.21GHz
4GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8500 GT
Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit)
Around 50gb HDD free space left.

Hmm, if I were to assume that I can run the highest settings without any problem. Is it even possible to re-enhance the whole thing more? Are there any other plugins that I should get?

Besides, I'm just wondering how is your experience with the highest settings? Should be I aware of some known risks or problems? Any AMD and nVidia users out there ... ?

BTW, thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I have done that and it looks better now!

But, I have just read some debatable (or not) wiki source that states that GeForce 8500 GT (from the GeForce 8 series) is quite similar to 6600 GT (from the GeForce 6 series) therefore rendering 8500 GT useless when compared to the other cards in the same series, such as 8600 GT.

Mozgus has said something about this as well:

Mozgus said:
Mozgus noted that “OpenGL2 is aimed at very good video cards like Geforce 7 or Radeon X1K series and up… Those with weaker video cards should use Pete’s OpenGL plugin (not OpenGL2). Those with no video card should seek a software mode plugin.”
If the wiki source is actually correct, that would make 8500 GT inferior to the GeForce 7 series. As Mozgus has claimed that OpenGL2 is aimed at good video cards. This is odd because I have ran ePSXe with the OpenGL2 plugin as well as some of the highest settings without any problem. Although, I haven't make everything set to highest yet.

·
クロスエクス
4,890 Posts
That's a ... not quite correct quote.

For example, a GF6800 can handle OGL2 without troubles at max, while a GF7100 cannot.
Low end cards may not be able to perform properly at high internal resolutions (regardless of series), then, it comes the usage of shaders.... which "how powerful the cards needs to be" is shader dependant.

Do it simple, try yourself.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
The OpenGL plug-ins were made during the GeForce FX/Radeon 9x00 days, if I remember right, at least certainly before the GeForce 7 series came out. An "Ultra High" directional resolution mode was added later for more powerful cards with more memory, and older Radeon cards before the Radeon X1x00 series couldn't even do very high X or very high Y (one or the other it could do, and one or the other it couldn't), but yeah, that quote is quite inaccurate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.