Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Kinda new with the whole emulator thing here. My Playstation finally died, after god only knows how many thousand hours of play. Being a self-supporting college student I really don't have money that I can justify spending on a new game console right now, so I did some looking online and found several different Playstation emulators. After a lot of looking and reading it seems like ePSXe has the best reputation in general among them. The only problem is that I'm a retard when it comes to computer specs, so I don't know if my computer can handle it or not. I was hoping if I post what I know about my pc maybe someone here can tell me if it can run ePSXe or not before I go and download a bunch of stuff I might not be able to use, and if I CAN run it possibly make some recommendations for plugins.

If this is laid out wrong I apologize, I'm just copying it right from the menus on my PC. Like I said, I'm a retard about this stuff- I use my pc to do school work on, and occasionally watch a DVD.

Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz CPU, 504 MB RAM
149 GB Memory (159,989,886,976 bytes)
128 GB Free memory (137,513,107,456 bytes)

Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 9 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2992 MH
Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

I appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I downloaded everything, and after some tinkering- and a couple dozen reads of the FAQ and an hour or three searching these forums- managed to work out enough bugs to get it running.

I can tell I'm going to have to tinker with the settings a bit, since I get some weird graphic displays (blurring, after-images, etc.) on some games, but I think I can manage that. It should simply be a matter of trial and error, and some time.

Thank you, fireblaster_lyz and KrossX! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can it handle as wide of a variety of games? From what I read it isn't as versatile as ePSXe, but perhaps I was looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got settings that work fine now for all of my games, with one exception. I'm still wading through a big pile of search results on the forum looking for some tips on that one, lol. I think I'll stick with ePSXe for the time being.

I appreciate the tips and advice all of you have shared. Thank you all very much! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A game called Vanguard Bandits. I just haven't found the right settings to get it to run yet. The closest I've gotten is with a fresh ISO I made from the disk, and all I get there is a blank screen with an icon of a controller in the top right corner. I might need a different GPU, but I don't know yet.

I already made a thread over in the game help forum, since I couldn't find anything that seemed to help by searching the existing threads. Hopefully someone will read it and have some suggestions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, unfortunately. I have made several different ISOs from the disc, too, none of which will work. I think perhaps I need a different GPU to run it. It's not a big deal right now; I have plenty of other games I can play. I DO want to be able to play it at some point, though- it's one of my favorite games.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know the disc works; I was playing it at a friends house over the weekend. I tried cleaning it already, too. It might just not play on ePSXe. I thought I'd found it on a list of all the working games, but that was for an older version of ePSXe, so I don't know if it works or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't tried any other emulators yet. I've got enough games that work to keep me busy for a while, so I'm giving the thread I made in the game help forum time to draw some answers; maybe someone knows a particular plugin that it works with. Since I have a limit on how much I can download per month and school eats up a lot of it, I'm trying to avoid having to download multiple emulators and stacks of plugins to go with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went ahead and downloaded pSX. It seems to run the game without any problems. The only thing I have noticed at all wrong is that the game runs a bit faster than it should, but it's not a problem- I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I didn't know the game as well as I do. So, unless I run across a problem in the later stages of a game (like Xenogears, I saw from reading around a bit that it has issues in a couple spots) I seem to be able to play everything now.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice. I really appreciate all of your help. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts