Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Kinda new with the whole emulator thing here. My Playstation finally died, after god only knows how many thousand hours of play. Being a self-supporting college student I really don't have money that I can justify spending on a new game console right now, so I did some looking online and found several different Playstation emulators. After a lot of looking and reading it seems like ePSXe has the best reputation in general among them. The only problem is that I'm a retard when it comes to computer specs, so I don't know if my computer can handle it or not. I was hoping if I post what I know about my pc maybe someone here can tell me if it can run ePSXe or not before I go and download a bunch of stuff I might not be able to use, and if I CAN run it possibly make some recommendations for plugins.

If this is laid out wrong I apologize, I'm just copying it right from the menus on my PC. Like I said, I'm a retard about this stuff- I use my pc to do school work on, and occasionally watch a DVD.

Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz CPU, 504 MB RAM
149 GB Memory (159,989,886,976 bytes)
128 GB Free memory (137,513,107,456 bytes)

Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 9 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2992 MH
Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

I appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Yes.
Use Pete's D3D Plugins and Eternal SPU and you are pretty much ready to go.

EDIT:
Note that the minimum specifications for ePSXe (in my context) would be at least:
Intel Pentium III 450MHz Processor
nVidia GeForce 2 MX/3dfx Voodoo 3
64MB RAM

Can't forget those days running ePSXe on the Voodoo 3...works extremely well back then.
Haha.

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Yup, back then I was using a Voodoo4 with Lewpy's Glide plugin... oh, so many memories. XD

Anyway, yes, that computer should be able to handle the emulation with no troubles. But, you will be limited on the GPU plugin side. As said, use Pete's D3D on that IGP, it seems Pete's DX6 works ok with those.

Anyway, you can always use PEOpS Soft plugin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded everything, and after some tinkering- and a couple dozen reads of the FAQ and an hour or three searching these forums- managed to work out enough bugs to get it running.

I can tell I'm going to have to tinker with the settings a bit, since I get some weird graphic displays (blurring, after-images, etc.) on some games, but I think I can manage that. It should simply be a matter of trial and error, and some time.

Thank you, fireblaster_lyz and KrossX! :D

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
if it gives you too much trouble i suggest using psx instead, its much easier to work with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can it handle as wide of a variety of games? From what I read it isn't as versatile as ePSXe, but perhaps I was looking in the wrong place?

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
pSX is very compatible just like ePSXe... you may find some games that work on ePSXe but not on pSX and vice-versa.

The versatility of ePSXe comes from the usage of plugins... wich in pSX you have none. And that's what's makes it more simple. Although that's mostly useful for improved graphics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got settings that work fine now for all of my games, with one exception. I'm still wading through a big pile of search results on the forum looking for some tips on that one, lol. I think I'll stick with ePSXe for the time being.

I appreciate the tips and advice all of you have shared. Thank you all very much! :)

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
what is the exception?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A game called Vanguard Bandits. I just haven't found the right settings to get it to run yet. The closest I've gotten is with a fresh ISO I made from the disk, and all I get there is a blank screen with an icon of a controller in the top right corner. I might need a different GPU, but I don't know yet.

I already made a thread over in the game help forum, since I couldn't find anything that seemed to help by searching the existing threads. Hopefully someone will read it and have some suggestions.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
does it work when running from the disc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, unfortunately. I have made several different ISOs from the disc, too, none of which will work. I think perhaps I need a different GPU to run it. It's not a big deal right now; I have plenty of other games I can play. I DO want to be able to play it at some point, though- it's one of my favorite games.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
sounds like a bad disc, the plugins and settings you use would be irrelevant if that is the case here. do you have any means of testing it on a real psx?

edit- nm i remember you saying your psx doesnt work. if any of your friends or whatever have one though you should try it out on theirs because you might be looking at having to buy a new copy of the game from somewhere. if the disc appears to be in good condition (no scratches, tire marks, bullet holes, etc) then try cleaning it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the disc works; I was playing it at a friends house over the weekend. I tried cleaning it already, too. It might just not play on ePSXe. I thought I'd found it on a list of all the working games, but that was for an older version of ePSXe, so I don't know if it works or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't tried any other emulators yet. I've got enough games that work to keep me busy for a while, so I'm giving the thread I made in the game help forum time to draw some answers; maybe someone knows a particular plugin that it works with. Since I have a limit on how much I can download per month and school eats up a lot of it, I'm trying to avoid having to download multiple emulators and stacks of plugins to go with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went ahead and downloaded pSX. It seems to run the game without any problems. The only thing I have noticed at all wrong is that the game runs a bit faster than it should, but it's not a problem- I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I didn't know the game as well as I do. So, unless I run across a problem in the later stages of a game (like Xenogears, I saw from reading around a bit that it has issues in a couple spots) I seem to be able to play everything now.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice. I really appreciate all of your help. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts