Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Back to regular business
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, this sounds strange, but is it posible to remove all those annoying masquerade from the WindowsXP GUI and give it a more clean view? You know, I already managed to disable the themes completely, but I would also like to disable that colourful "Welcome" splash screen and those speech bubbles popping out of the systray turning the more necessary of them into dialogue boxes (I know that you can disable them, but the task bar keeps in front of my desktop until I click the corresponding icon).

If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.

P.S.: And if anyone knows how to suppress the "Insufficient Disk Space" (For my swap partition) message appearing at every logon, I'd be even more crateful...err...grateful.

· Registered
378 Posts
to get rid of the "welcome" screen go into Control panel --> User accounts --> change the way users log on an off. Deselect the welcome screen.

I hope that nlite thing will allow you to suppress the pop-up bubbles

· Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
If it's just the disk space...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Disable low disk space checking
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:1
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:1

· AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Here, it will make all those help bubble pop up things disappear, take off menu shadows and other stuff.
It will become a really fast system.

3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Mad, I already tried that. Unforunately it has two major backsides:

- By removing those bubbles, I may loose important information, because their content won't be displayed anywhere else (dialogue boxes would come in handy)
- I usually hide my task bar. When a bubble pops up, it forces itself into the foreground, and disabling them won't actually change that. Which means that I'll always have to search the systray for the symbol the non-existant bubble originated. Pain in the arse...

P.S.: Thanks for the link, Valcrist. I planned to reinstall Windows, anyway :)

· Registered
145 Posts
Install Windows Server 2003. Its exactly the same as XP, but since its designed for servers it doesn't have any of that annoying candy crap that just gets in the way.

XP drivers 100% compatible (so far in my experience) and every game I've tried has worked perfectly, in some cases even better. EVE Online plays so much better under 2003 :).

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

· Registered
2,794 Posts

· Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
what are you guys talking about, i heard F-3582 was going to buy a new car, obviously he can just use that money for windows server 2003 because it's meant to be a home OS....

i cant see why people ever recommend windows 2003, people just want to be "ZOMG I GOT TEH NEWER VERSION!!" i suppose, like these dumbasses pirating windows media center edition and they dont realize about all the fruity bells and whistles.....geesh

· Registered
145 Posts
I did not recommend 2003 because NEW WTFLOL!!!1!. I recommended it because it does exactly what he wants.

Though yeah its true if you're limited by money you can just tweak XP and it isn't hard to get rid of the crap. Like I said, 2003 is just XP without the crap anyway.

· Registered
2,794 Posts
hooloovoo said:
I did not recommend 2003 because NEW WTFLOL!!!1!. I recommended it because it does exactly what he wants.

Though yeah its true if you're limited by money you can just tweak XP and it isn't hard to get rid of the crap. Like I said, 2003 is just XP without the crap anyway.
Have you seriously thought this one through? Windows 2003 is ~$900 more expensive than XP beause it contains "less?" It's a nearly identical core, but actually contains *more* extras. It's just that most of the GUI-related components are toned down or turned off, because you don't need them on a server.

You have to do roughly the same amount of work turning stuff back on in 2003 that you would have to do turning items off in XP.

F-3582: XP is not transforming any dialog messages into bubbles. It's actually a totally separate function and API call altogether. Most apps check whether or not it can use these by checking your OS version. If you turn these off, you're likely just not going to receive the message. They can't be "converted" into anything by anybody but the original application designer.

3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FLaRe85 said:
F-3582: XP is not transforming any dialog messages into bubbles. It's actually a totally separate function and API call altogether. Most apps check whether or not it can use these by checking your OS version. If you turn these off, you're likely just not going to receive the message. They can't be "converted" into anything by anybody but the original application designer.
Hmm... it might be a service which could be disabled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.