Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
An old lady.
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get into MS-DOS on a Windows XP machine. I've made the DOS boot-disk, booted from it, but the only directory I can get to is the \A: drive (the floppy drive). It won't recognize the hard drives.

The hard drive is formatted in NTFS. I've googled this situation, but haven't found an exact answer. From what I've read, I'm getting the impression that MS-DOS won't work with NTFS. Can anyone confirm this for me?

If this is the case, is there anything I can do? Or will I have to re-install?

(Why am I always asked to play "tech support" for my family? :hdbash: )

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Nope. MS-Dos supports up to FAT32 (MSDos of Windows 98). They stopped developing it after Win98. NTFS was introduced in Windows NT, but it didnt have real Dos in background (much like win2000 and xp nowadays and so on...), so they didnt feel need for programming NTFS support for Dos that comes with different operating system that didnt even support NTFS. Sorry, AFAIK you are stuck. I have one partition left as FAT32 with my old Dos games in it, so i can use it with bootdisk.

·
I'm Lost..
141 Posts
..or u can use third party software like.. ntfsdos pro, etc.. to gain access to your ntfs drive from msdos.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Look for Hiren's Boot Cd 5.0 or 6.0, it is a great tool to recover and test your pc and it includes a MS-Dos vertion with NTFS support.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
I just use CygWin and dosemu to do the work from Windows.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Mats said:
..or u can use third party software like.. ntfsdos pro, etc.. to gain access to your ntfs drive from msdos.
Does it allow normal access from real MSDos command prompt? Or is it some kind of dosshell program?

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Ive got the best solution for you my friend!!!
BartPE
This is the best thing they ever made up for recovery situations!

Now stop the advertisement, lets explain: BartPE is like WinXP running from CD.

Yes, thats possible, after you toss away some unneeded stuff and only preserve some basic stuff, like acess to HD´s, CD-rom´s, Network, VGA and Sound.

The instructions are pretty easy, but ill just easy even more your job.
You copy the contents of a WinXP SP1 or later CD to a dir in your HD. Then you run bartpe. It will create an ISO. Burn this ISO to a cd-r, or cd-rw if you doing this for the 1st time.

Then you just place it on cd-rom and tell your PC to boot from it, wait and thats IT!

There are a lot of plugins, allowing you to install lots of appz, like nero, office, mcaffe, ad-ware, hd recovery file tools and many others!

This is how it looks:

If you need more help with it, just tell me, i made up a simple version for me already, still have to dig up more info to make THE ultimate version :)

·
I'm Lost..
141 Posts
MaZa said:
Does it allow normal access from real MSDos command prompt? Or is it some kind of dosshell program?
yeah.. the pro version will allow u to read/write to ntfs drive from real ms-dos. there's several other such program, but i forgot their name. it's fit into 2 diskete (including msdos boot disk, if i'm not mistaken).

// EDIT:
that's BartPE looks interesting, if you have cd-r.. :thumb:

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Forgot to mention, since it is WinXP, it DOES read/write NTFS....

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Mats said:
yeah.. the pro version will allow u to read/write to ntfs drive from real ms-dos. there's several other such program, but i forgot their name. it's fit into 2 diskete (including msdos boot disk, if i'm not mistaken).

Sweet! Pro version? So i presume its comercial program. Gotta check it out still.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Or you could always try a Linux live cd like knoppix or suse :)

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Hey, im a hc PC gamer, so no linux unless they figure reliable DirectX emulation. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The two main points of Knoppix (that I know of) are to try out Linux without having to install anything and for data recovery :p. I have a Knoppix CD and it's pretty nifty :).

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
NTFSDos Pro is definitely the way to go. I used it when my Win XP comp wouldn't boot(Win XP's "Recovery Mode" is sheet by the way). It saved my comp from a format :D.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Linux via knoppix may work OK for reading an NTFS partition, but it won't write anything to it. As of kernel 2.6.9, they still haven't figured out safe NTFS write support (unless you write a file of the exact same size... not sure how to do this, though).

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I got both knoppix and BartPE here.
Now i use more bartpe....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts