Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is any way I can downgrade my PSP's firmware, by flashing it, or some sort of method.

Reason being, I foolishly upgraded my psp's firmware, in excitement for the web browser, and now the web browser does me no good with dial-up. I recently became interested about running homebrew app's like emulators, and other various small non-taxing programs on my PSP, and would eventually like to, when a psp emu gets more developed, be able to use my bios from my psp, and I don't think I can do that with the firmware 2.0 .

This question is not intended to be anything illegal, as I own my own psp, and a game, I'll even post a picture of it later when I get back to my home. And if I am breaking the rules don't hesitate to point it out, As I'm aware of, I don't think I am breaking any rules;)

· Registered
5,810 Posts
Common dude :p

Google: -> "psp downgrade" -> First found page

· Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well I have 2.0 and it's actually not so bad. There are a few homebrew games and emulators that don't run on it yet, but I think 1.5 is overrated. With he eboot loader, you can run just about anything. As long as it doesn't use the kernel.

Just be aware that downgradin can brick your PSP if not followed step by step exactly! Go to some respectedf psp forums and sites and try to read other peoples meathods and steps used to downgrade their PSP's, so you don't end up messing up and rendering your PSP useless.

I was gonna downgrade, but after seeing so much horror, I changed my mind. Since the developers realize we can't stay at 1.5 forever, they are redesigning their software to make it run on at least 2.0, and above in some cases with the help of 'hello world'. :)

· Coffee Demon
2,916 Posts
We too are running homebrewn on firmware 2.01. The Eboot loader is non intrusive (unlike the memstick swap methods that risk damage). We are also able to maintain the wifi support, and can play current game titles.

Find a respectable PSP DEV site and do some research

· Registered
7,407 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
We too are running homebrewn on firmware 2.01. The Eboot loader is non intrusive (unlike the memstick swap methods that risk damage). We are also able to maintain the wifi support, and can play current game titles.

Find a respectable PSP DEV site and do some research
Um, homebrew isn't possible on 2.01. Fanjita's loader doesn't work with it.

You can only downgrade if you have 2.00 (nothing higher, IE, 2.01).

I just downgraded my PSP to 1.50 this morning (original MPH 0.1 method).. took my first PSP, a 1.50 first US batch unit, back to blockbuster last night and got a new one because of 4 dead pixels and a screwed up d-pad, and this new one (luckily) had 2.00 on it and no defects. I usually use 2.00 with Fanjita's eboot loader, but there are a few things keeping me on 1.50. ;)

I'm saddened that Sony is so harsh on the homebrew scene, these forced firmware upgrades really kill a lot of what PSP has going for it.

· I Burnt The Toast!
1,522 Posts
Only a matter of time before we see full homebrew on 2.0+ I'm sure. It will take some time since the kernel access is a pretty important part of how alot of these apps work. I'm stayin with 1.5 untill there are 2.0+ homebrew apps that will do what you can do on a 1.5 FW. This is where I wish I had a second PSP with 2.0 or later on it, just for the sake of having it. I feel I'm not really missing much of what later firmwares offer over what I acctualy use it for most. Thats some quick gaming fun and MP3 playback while out and about.

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
I heard that the PSP Bricker was a seperate virus itself - not if you do it wrong. (Altho I'm sure you can brick your PSP by downgrading incorrectly). Scan the overflow.tif file in the RAR with a virus scanner like Norton AntiVirus that detects Trojan.PSPBrick.

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I Sucessfully downgraded, Thanks for the help

For, four or five days, I was using the eboot loader 0.9, in fear if I tried to downgrade, I would mess up and brick my PSP. Well Last night, I finally got the courage at midnight to try the downgrade, so I could run psp-oss 0.2b, and guess what, I did it successfully, and did not brick my psp, and lucky me, I was able to downgrade, because I had 2.0 firmware and not a later version:lol: . Thanks For the help everyone

In reply To metalmurphy, (forgot to use quote feature), I don't like searching on google, at the risk of coming across a malicious website, and Accidentely clicking on it, I come here first to get input from the knowledge and experiance of all of you, And recomendations, so I don't go on the wrong website, and accidently without knowing, download a trojan, virus, or spyware/adware, bundled with the download.;)

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Btw this thread is almost three months old, I've already got my answer and successfully downgraded my PSP.

That's great it works, but I'm not interested in any grand theft auto games, and there hasn't been any other games I'm interested in. I'm basically only interested in homwbrew/emulators/programs.

I'm Requesting a lock on this thread to prevent spamming ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.