Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3D image is great, but it's so obvious VGS is better at 2D image than ePSXe. For game like Breath of Fire 4, both 2D and 3D are essential. However, is there a way to have them both??

C

·
0 Posts
Bilinear-filtering enhances 2D, but most users don't like the 'paper cut-out' image it gives 2D Sprites, I don't mind it, but the option most prefer for 2D/3D games is filtering without sprites...

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Pete's drivers are fully capable of enhancing both 3D and 2D at the same time. Just hit shift-pgup while using either his D3D or OGL plugin, and instant improvement (Warning - Requires FAST equipment!)

S

·
0 Posts
I use the in-game menu to improve 2D rendering. I'm not siure which feature it is bu I set it in Castlevania SOTN and the graphics were greatly improved. Almost as good as eagle graghics. I'll post some screen shots later.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If you call shift-pageup "instant improvement" then I have a suggestion for you that will give you the same improvement "value" without the massive framerate drop! Got to your local store and get some glasses and make sure they undercorrect your vision a bit so that everything is blurry. Tada! Now all sarcasm aside, fullscreen blur is a very cheap way of doing antialiasing as it decreases the texture quality. GeForce or Voodoo4+ FSAA is the much better alternative here, if available. Oh and none of this is a jab at Pete so no need to get a twist in your knickers!

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by sxamiga
I'm not sure which feature it is but I set it in Castlevania SOTN and the graphics were greatly improved
The setting you"re referring to is Filtering

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Originally posted by gerbilcannon
If you call shift-pageup "instant improvement" then I have a suggestion for you that will give you the same improvement "value" without the massive framerate drop! Got to your local store and get some glasses and make sure they undercorrect your vision a bit so that everything is blurry. Tada! Now all sarcasm aside, fullscreen blur is a very cheap way of doing antialiasing as it decreases the texture quality. GeForce or Voodoo4+ FSAA is the much better alternative here, if available. Oh and none of this is a jab at Pete so no need to get a twist in your knickers!
...And then again, some games on my screen (21") are SO pixellated that it's horribly nasty. One pixel takes up about half a centimeter on some of these games. The relief is not FSAA, as that works with 3D stuff. The better option is to smooth the colors from the center of the pixel down towards the surrounding pixels - meaning filtering. If you WANT to see such flaws, then go play Doom or something, that's the age of the huge pixels (btw, Doom is about as bad as some of these games pixel-wise). Better yet, try Star Trek : 21st Anniversary...those pixels are a FULL centimeter around on this screen (I kid you not). There's where I really wish I had some 2D filtering :)

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks Raziel. That is, indeed, what it is. I was at work when I wrote that and could not remember until I got home and checked it.
Thanks again.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the advices. I tried the flitering stuff (everything, and I mean everything). However, it created some funny "lines" while smoothen some image. Overall, it was worse than no flitering. Anyway, either way VGS is obviously better at 2D graphing. I know VGS is actually use the software graphing just like the software plugin in ePSXe, which means software graphing 2D is better than D3D 2D!? Don't know why. Not to mention VGS has a better sound system and FMV playback system. Hope those respectable programers work on these field. Thank you all again.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
if you got a graphics card with FSAA, use 4xFSAA at a resolution of 640x480........... great 2d and 3d......check out the shots of this setting using a voodoo 5 5500 in the screenshots section...... FF7(i did take some 2d shots) and legend of mana(2d game)........ posted by me of course.... plus, it seems that 2d looks better with this setting on glide and ogl than with d3d....... If you got a card that supports glide or ogl then use those..... This setting makes 2d look soo good...... with epsxe.... At higher resolutions the 2d gets stretched too much for FSAA to make a huge difference but at 640x480 the resolution is just right for FSAA to make some noticeably great improvements to the 2d.......

·
Registered
161 Posts
For 2D games in ePSXe, I'm using Pete's soft 1.50 at 640x480x32 with scanlines, or 1024x768x32 without scanlines. Castlevania, Megaman X5 and Legend of Mana works really great! Try it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
:D Marvel vs Capcom, X-Men vs Street Fighter, JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure and Guilty Gear work very well with Pete Soft driver (Pete is a very super bari bari programmer). The image is perfect.
I've a Geforce 2 MX. Good Luck:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, fivefeet8: What is FSAA???

And, did I mention that I tried everything.
Oh yeah, if some of the guys were worry about my graph card.
I have a GeForce 2 GTS, so for now skip that option of yours.
In my experimences, it has proved that software drawing is better at 2D, at least for now. And I have never doubted the great 3D ability of Pete's Plugin.

Another question, which one has the better graphic overall, a real PS or the emulator if the setting is optimum. (exclud the factor of low resolutionn TVs compare to computer monitors) Because, recently I just saw some PS FF9 shot which looks much better than FF9 shot in ePSXe, and I heard somewhere before that ePSXe has a better graphic than a real PS. Since I do not have a PS, so please answer my question objectively (<--That is not possible, I can't do it. But we can try.)
Thanks.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
FSAA : Full Scene Anti Aliasing......

To make it simple..... Smoothes jagged edges...... It smoothes the pixels of the 2d... works better at 640x480 res.... Your Geforce 2 gts should have the option......Use petes' ogl pluggin with 4x FSAA on the 2d games and let me know how it turns out......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this FSAA option in some kind of setting or it is just there in my card. I don't seem to find it anywhere....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts