Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can all DVD R/RW Drives write CD-RW Dics?

I'm looking at the DVD R/RW Drives and most don't state their CD-RW/R writing abilities.

Also has the DVD disc format standard been settled yet?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
well, from what input I get from friends that do dvd video authoring of pvr video they record "DVD-R" (as opposed to "DVD+R") seems to have the lowest failure rate and best streaming data quality more consistantly. AFAIK all DVD R/RW drives can do the same with CD R/RW...but I wont bet $10,000,000 on that.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
RZetlin said:
Can all DVD R/RW Drives write CD-RW Dics?

I'm looking at the DVD R/RW Drives and most don't state their CD-RW/R writing abilities.

Also has the DVD disc format standard been settled yet?
No..the DVD standard is still not set, but most writable drives do DVD +/- R as do some DVD Players now..

DVD-RAM still seems to be the stepchild..hehe

DVD R/RW drives have the capability to write CD-RW, but it is just a matter of the maker including the firmware for it. The laser can easily be backwards compatible.

Most Burners do have the capability, but if they fail to advertise it..then don't get it

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yup, like Dark Watcher said most do. There are the few odd ones that don't though. Just a word of advice. If you do wnd up getting a DVD-R/W drive, than make sure you don't use it as you regular drive to run cd's etc off of. You can, but you want the laser lasting as long as it can and DVD's require more strength in the laser so prolonmged use, and it probably won't last as long as a regular CD Rom drive. I never burn CD's on mine. I stictly use it for DVD burning and bought a seperate CD/RE-DVD Combo drive for watching DVD's, Playing games and burning CD's. I would reccomend you do the same to get the most life out of your drives, but it isn't essential that you do :p

Heh, If I were you I would either

a) Find out which format your DVD plaer plays

or

b) Get a multi burner (like I did) so you can burn anything and everything you want!

Luckily both my DVD players play all formats imaginale (they were cheap too!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts