Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· troubleshooter
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony's website says It CAN.

PlayStation.com

I'm planning to get a PS3 for myself but I'm not sure what to buy, a PS3 or an Xbox360 or even a Wii.

If a PS3 then which one would be better 40GB version or 80GB version?

Does Xbox360 come with 2 controllers or just 1 like the PS3?

Is it true that the Xbox360 has heating issues?

· Registered
8,815 Posts
From what I've heard about Playstation 3 backwards compatibility:

60gb= plays all PS1 games and all PS2 games
80gb= plays all PS1 games and SOME PS2 games
40gb= plays NO PS1 games and NO PS2 games
ALL PS3s play PS1 games. But epsxe is much better with resolution upscaling.

The PS2 compatibility list is accurate, but any new PS3 purchased today does not include PS2 compatibility.

· troubleshooter
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so If I get a PS3 now, I won't be able to play any of my old PS2 games. But if the site says that with the updated system software you can play most of the titles.(though some titles may not run at full speed and some may have issues...............like our pcsx2 :p)

· Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
Probably not. The newer 80gb have nothing over the 40gb model, save for extra HDD space, so if you have a much bigger hdd that will fit, might as well buy the cheaper 40gb model and then install the new hdd.

· Registered MSX user
1,671 Posts
Older XBox 360 -consoles had much heating issues. About more than 30% of them needs repairment service later after buying. Newer models with Falcon board have reduced issues. Falcon uses 65nm technology for processor and it has 175W PSU. RRoD (Red Ring of Death)-risk has been reduced after Falcon came out.

Current backwards compatibility list for XBox 360:

Xbox.com | Xbox 360 - Original Xbox Games on Xbox 360

· Registered
13,839 Posts
Xbox 360 is the best choice at the moment. It plays Xbox games as well. You may own PS3 for playing PSX/PS2 games and some games for PS only, but there is big mess in choice taking compatibility as example. Wii is the best family console, Gamecube backward compatibility and also Dolphin ;)
Yeah 360 does have backwards comp. but as far as I got she doesn't have X-Box games so why bother just because of that...

But I have the 40gb version and none of the PS2 have worked so that's out... But then again if you have PS2 games you most likely have the PS2 console so why getting all bent by it? I really should try playing the PSX games but I just haven't gotten around it yet, but supposedly they should work...

As for the 40gb or 80gb version, you really should just take a look if 40gb is cheaper, as in here its no longer even sold... Well, I haven't seen any ads as its always either the 80gb or the special 500gb version. But just look at the price tags and decide...

· !
9,570 Posts
Red, If you like FPS games a lot GET 360. Beware that 360 is fully of craps as hardware, temperature issues, RRoD..etc.

and if you want to get PS3, Get the 60GB version, is the best version IMO, via it you can play PS1.2 games.

PS: i think that you like FF games. so get it certainty. The new version of FF will be more better on PS3 than 360 (if will be version for it).

· Registered
13,839 Posts
Red, If you like FPS games a lot GET 360. Beware that 360 is fully of craps as hardware, temperature issues, RRoD..etc.

and if you want to get PS3, Get the 60GB version, is the best version IMO, via it you can play PS1.2 games.

PS: i think that you like FF games. so get it certainty. The new version of FF will be more better on PS3 than 360 (if will be version for it).
No, if you like FPS games, grab yourself a PC...:p
Actually koko is right, 360 has better quality in FPS(and shooting games in general) than PS3 but has problems with hardware and other failsoft creations like LIVE with the fact that they own you after you subscribe and can simply kick you out if they feel like it...
Then again PS3 has higher price and smaller quantity of games at the moment(I think...).

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Sony's website says It CAN.

PlayStation.com

I'm planning to get a PS3 for myself but I'm not sure what to buy, a PS3 or an Xbox360 or even a Wii.

If a PS3 then which one would be better 40GB version or 80GB version?

Does Xbox360 come with 2 controllers or just 1 like the PS3?

Is it true that the Xbox360 has heating issues?

Let's see...

PS3:
- Get the 40GB version if you're going to buy any.
- Backwards compatibility with PS2 only works partially, and not at all in newer consoles. PS1 works flawlessly throughout. For more information, look at the retail configuration chart here:
PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Has shooters like XBox360, too, but less popular for the fact that there's no too many PS3 owners at this point, thus shooters feel kinda... cheap. But that aside, what the 360 has, PS3 can pretty much meet it eye-to-eye up to this level. Of course if we're talking about shooters.
- For shizzles will have FFXIII and FFvXIII so if you're a fan, this is a no-brainer.
- Most of the stuffs are free... or priced in real money, so I can get them right out of my credit cards... hence... I bought a lot of downloadable games.
- In my own honest opinions, this thing holds up well on its own. But the price tag is quite a deal breaker unless you watch Blu-Ray stuffs.

360:
- Get the Pro version with the HDD and the controllers and what-nots. You don't want to miss out on the HDD.
- Yes, only comes with one controller, sadly.
- Backwards compatibility on this thing is better off... not being there. It's mediocre to say the least.
- Has shooters for sure but I personally don't like the default controller for a shooter. The right analog stick feels like it's too sensitive... (or not so... bouncy like the PS one?) so it's really hard to aim, plus the left analog stick is at a weird position. Hence PC is best for shooters. Or maybe I'm just too used to the PS controller. In any case, it's decent.
- XBox Live is a rip-off. And without that, you are pretty much on your own.
- Very very very very annoyingly loud. It reads a disc like a vacuum at its highest speed. Seriously... so loud... It even vibrates the rack it's on. Much louder than my heavily overclocked PC.
- Very reasonable price tag, though. Also very impressive game library.
- Very annoying user base. A filter should be put out when people go online.

Wii:
- It's cheap. (in every way)
- I play Wii Tennis on it from time to time...
- Um... and Zelda Twilight Princess, too.
- And Super Mario Galaxy...
- And Super Paper Mario...
- And... Metroid...
- Ummm...
- Yeah...
- Oh yeah, and I bought some classics on the Wii Shop Channel, too. You know... the ones that you can't find brand-new anywhere else...
- Yeahhhhh...

See... my usage pattern of the three is exactly like this:
Nielsen: Wii Has Lowest User Activity | Edge Online

So there's all the info you need. I hope that helped you at least somewhat.

· troubleshooter
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let's see...

PS3:
- Get the 40GB version if you're going to buy any.
- Backwards compatibility with PS2 only works partially, and not at all in newer consoles. PS1 works flawlessly throughout. For more information, look at the retail configuration chart here:
PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Has shooters like XBox360, too, but less popular for the fact that there's no too many PS3 owners at this point, thus shooters feel kinda... cheap. But that aside, what the 360 has, PS3 can pretty much meet it eye-to-eye up to this level. Of course if we're talking about shooters.
- For shizzles will have FFXIII and FFvXIII so if you're a fan, this is a no-brainer.
- Most of the stuffs are free... or priced in real money, so I can get them right out of my credit cards... hence... I bought a lot of downloadable games.
- In my own honest opinions, this thing holds up well on its own. But the price tag is quite a deal breaker unless you watch Blu-Ray stuffs.

360:
- Get the Pro version with the HDD and the controllers and what-nots. You don't want to miss out on the HDD.
- Yes, only comes with one controller, sadly.
- Backwards compatibility on this thing is better off... not being there. It's mediocre to say the least.
- Has shooters for sure but I personally don't like the default controller for a shooter. The right analog stick feels like it's too sensitive... (or not so... bouncy like the PS one?) so it's really hard to aim, plus the left analog stick is at a weird position. Hence PC is best for shooters. Or maybe I'm just too used to the PS controller. In any case, it's decent.
- XBox Live is a rip-off. And without that, you are pretty much on your own.
- Very very very very annoyingly loud. It reads a disc like a vacuum at its highest speed. Seriously... so loud... It even vibrates the rack it's on. Much louder than my heavily overclocked PC.
- Very reasonable price tag, though. Also very impressive game library.
- Very annoying user base. A filter should be put out when people go online.

Wii:
- It's cheap. (in every way)
- I play Wii Tennis on it from time to time...
- Um... and Zelda Twilight Princess, too.
- And Super Mario Galaxy...
- And Super Paper Mario...
- And... Metroid...
- Ummm...
- Yeah...
- Oh yeah, and I bought some classics on the Wii Shop Channel, too. You know... the ones that you can't find brand-new anywhere else...
- Yeahhhhh...

See... my usage pattern of the three is exactly like this:
Nielsen: Wii Has Lowest User Activity | Edge Online

So there's all the info you need. I hope that helped you at least somewhat.
All I want is a console which wont go obsolete in the next 3-4 years.

I don't have any xbox games so backwards compatibility of the 360 is of no use to me. And I don't like the messed up 360 controller. It doesn't look good too.

Wii is not easily available and even if I get one I won't be able to find any games for it.

I mostly play racing games, games like prince of persia and Tekken.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
All I want is a console which wont go obsolete in the next 3-4 years.

I don't have any xbox games so backwards compatibility of the 360 is of no use to me. And I don't like the messed up 360 controller. It doesn't look good too.

Wii is not easily available and even if I get one I won't be able to find any games for it.

I mostly play racing games, games like prince of persia and Tekken.
Then the PS3 sounds very much like a good fit for you then. Gran Turismo 5, BurnOut Paradise, GRID, DIRT 2, etc... and you even get WipeOut. There are also Prince of Persia, and Tekken, which is also available as a downloadable game (so it's not like you can't "find" it).

Actually, I also only use my PS3 to play the same games. :p Metal Gear Solid, too, because I really love the Metal Gear series.

· troubleshooter
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then the PS3 sounds very much like a good fit for you then. Gran Turismo 5, BurnOut Paradise, GRID, DIRT 2, etc... and you even get WipeOut. There are also Prince of Persia, and Tekken, which is also available as a downloadable game (so it's not like you can't "find" it).

Actually, I also only use my PS3 to play the same games. :p Metal Gear Solid, too, because I really love the Metal Gear series.
The games I'm looking out for are heavenly sword, tekken5 dark resurrection, tekken6, street fighter.
I already have the PC version of burnout paradise and prince of persia.

I Had one more question though, since I am going to use the PS3 with my computer, should I get an internal TV tuner or an External one.
Do TV tuner cards come with HDMI input?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.