Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a Athlon 1.4 uses p3 casing (300 watt) ?

Also, how big is the possibility that a Athlon 1.4 can burn ( consider it is never overclocked ) ?

The shopkeeper offers me the Athlon 1.4 with a p3 casing, aand the price is quite reasonable, but i m just too scared the power supply isnt just enough and make my cpu burn....

Finally, is it a must to buy a cooler fan for the Athlon cpu?

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
there is not need to be scrared of the p3 casing.......one thing that U should keep in mind is that it should be ATX,and it should be a Mini tower......and it should have the option of attaching two fans...one on the front bottom and the other one in the back......right close to the Processor.........the front one should draw air in and the back one should exhaust the air out.......!

I have done that........this keeps a proper circulation of air through the casing.......!

The Fan that come with athlon is good enough.......!.......no need for extra fan on the processor but there must be atleast two more fan attached to the casing.......!

Ali

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi liaqatali,

thx for ur answer :)

why sould it be mini Atx? can i use a medium one instead of the mini one???

will it have any problems if i add one more cooler fan to my cpu but not the casing ???

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
hmmmmmm........just a suggestion from me.....by the ay if you want information on casing for AMD...then goto to the AMD site and check out their recomemdations........I did what they said.......!.....they recommend a min tower........go check it out yourself

Ali

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
300 watt should be enough for an Athlon. The P3 Coppermine only requires 250 watts to perform, the Athlon requires a tad bit more power.

The CPU should never "burn" at its original clock if it has a proper heatsink/fan attached. As long as it stays under 70 degrees celcius it should be fine(preferrably 30-40 C). If you're worried about stability then run some benchmarks or render some complex images in photoshop for an hour or two and if nothing goes wrong then you're fine. If the temperature gets a bit too high then get a better heatsink/fan or some case fans.

S

·
0 Posts
Actually, if you use a power supply that is AMD recommended, you should have no problems. I use a "MId" tower case (between a mini and full tower) and I use a 250 Watt power supply. I'm runing both an Athlon T-Bird 1.2ghz and GEForce 2 GTS video card.
The reason my power supply holds up is because it is AMD recommended as is the case. So, if you check out the specs of the case and power supply you are considering, and they meet or exceed AMDs recommended standards, you should be fine.
BTW even w/only a 250 Watt power supply, no BSODs, graphics glitches, CPU overheating, or any other problems.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts