Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sorry for bad English becouse my native language is Bosnian.

I am in dilema between these two CPUs, I'm not that good in hardware. Prices of both CPUs are similar, about 180-190 €. I need recommendation for motherboard and RAM (this one could be an solution: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2-1066 Dual channel kit 8500CL5D-4GBPI). As for motheboards, give ma a solution between BIOSTAR, MSI or DFI Lan Party series.
I alredy have Club3D CGAX-4852DDC HD4850 512MB, BlueStorm II 400W 99% efficiency PSU, Monitor 20" LCD SAMSUNG T200 2ms and total of 500 € to spend.
My PC main objective is GAMING, nothing else. THX Everyone in advance.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
usually if its gaming then id say intel but Phenom II X4 20 is amazing beats the E8500 big time

if you could just add a little money get a nice CPU heatsink and the phenom II 940

so id say get Phenom II 940 ( has 3GHz clock speed and unlocked multiplier ) and a nice CPU heatsink

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And what about emulation (PCSX2) ??? As far as I Know Emu currently does not support QuadCores, although it will in the future !!!
What motherboard for Phenom II 940 ???

1. MSI KA790GX AMD790GX AM2+ 4xDDR2-1066 VGA+HDMI+GLAN+SB -Price 95€
2. DFI LanParty Dark DK 790FXB-M2RSH AM2+ 790FX DDR2 3xPCIeX -Price 132€
3. BIOSTAR TA790GX3 A2+ AMD790GX AM2+ DDR2 1066 VGA HDMI -Price: 100€

Which one of these 3 ???

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
And what about emulation (PCSX2) ??? As far as I Know Emu currently does not support QuadCores, although it will in the future !!!
Nope... not for a long time. It's either single-core or dual-core for a while. You'd probably not see quad-core (or more) support until a PS3 or 360 emu, assuming those are even attempted.

And IIRC, Intel is still faster at emulation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, E8500 would be wise decision ??? Emulation is currently only what I have in stock. Games for windows in the moment aren't worth a doit. I just hope to see Starcraft II soon, but it's a question will we play it this year. It's a shame for Blizzard !!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
In my opinion, if that E8500 and the Phenom II X4 920 have the same price. I'd get the Phenom II in a heartbeat.

Theorhetically, the Intel E8500 has the better overclocking limits, but most people do not have the exact hardware to do that. And thus with the exact hardware needed, I will assume the overclocking potential of both processor would be similar.

And the Phenom II X4 920 is a quad core, the E8500 is only a dual core processor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, now I ask u, price diference between AMD X4 920 and X4 940 is 70 € !!! Is it worth in performance diference ??? I alredy know that X4 940 have unlocked multiplier and by that more ovrerclock potential. But is it worth that 70 € extra ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And what about BlueStorm II PSU 400W ??? Is it able to handle PH II 920, 4 GB DDR 1066 GSkill RAM and ATI 4850 512 MB ???

My current config is: AMD 3200+, ATI 4850, 1,5 GB DDR400 and BlueStorm II PSU. I can Play on decent details games based to windows, but emulation is awful, becouse CPU is single core.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
So, E8500 would be wise decision ??? Emulation is currently only what I have in stock. Games for windows in the moment aren't worth a doit. I just hope to see Starcraft II soon, but it's a question will we play it this year. It's a shame for Blizzard !!!
E8400 is worth more than the both of those together. You don't need expensive hardwares to overclock, either. Contrary to belief. A G31 motherboard (either from GIGABYTE or Foxconn or ASUS, I recommend GIGABYTE), then 2 sticks of RAM that can run at 800MHz with CAS 4 timings (4-4-4-12) are all you'd need. Those can be had for under $80 S&H included where I am now. I guess you can find them for roughly the same amount of dough.

Phenom II is amazing, and I admit it has the performance to match its price, maybe even better than E8400 or E8500 in... anything else, but just quoting myself again: quad-core is useless for emulation for an amount of time so long, hexa-core or octo-core CPUs would have been under $200 before you even hear about emulators that use more than 2 cores. I find it silly to "future-proof" with quad-core processors now that octo-core processors are just on the horizon.

Rule of thumb: never get the latest of technology in this generation if you're at the dawn of the new generation.

Then again, I just noticed you're using a HD4850, so... yeah, maybe Phenom II 920 it is. That card is godawful when it comes to PCSX2 because it offloads work onto the CPU...

·
Registered
254 Posts
How about the X3 720?

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Well... sure, why not? If you think that one is more worthwhile than a E8400.

AnandTech: The Phenom II X4 810 & X3 720: AMD Gets DDR3 But Doesn't Need It

Anandtech might be more biased towards Intel so the results might not say much... but I'd be interested in overclockability if I were to use it for emulation, and I think the X3 is decent... but won't be able to beat out even a E8400, which can reach beyond 4.0GHz in an ideal environment. 4.0GHz might actually be a given for all E8400 processors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In conclusion, I heard a lot of god things about "MSI P45-PLATINUM P45 775" good bios, exelent oveclockability, following with "E8500" and "CPU Cooler Noctua NH-C12P LGA 775", plus "G.SKILL 2GB DDR2-1066 Dual channel kit 8500CL5D-2GBPI".

Timigs are 5-5-5-15, but with a little of luck, maybe I will manage to tighten them to4-4-4-12 T2.

Two identical machines will not work on a same speed. Someone has managed to clock something to 4,22 GHz and I can't more than 4,12 with identical hardware, OS, driver e.g.! I asked myself "WHY ???" It's all in a hardware production quality (nuance), and u must be born with a lucky star above your head, to buy such hardware !!!

If u ask me, this case is closed.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
The CPU with more extensions will be the better buy in the long run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.