Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, it's not often contributors to open-source projects say goodbye, most just disappear. Let me be an exception;

For anyone that still cares : I've decided to abbandon Dxbx.

It was a nice project, I've learned a lot, we've delivered at least something working, but it has also cost me dearly. My priorities have changed significantly, so I had to make choice - risking my health or abandoning Dxbx. Understandibly, Dxbx lost. :cry:

I still have one or two small commits pending, but I can't tell if and when I'll commits these, it's nothing really special anyway.

I know I leave this project in mid-air, sorry for that and believe me : If I saw any chance that I would be able to continue the effort, I wouldn't say goodbye like this.

So, I'm sorry - but with this I leave Dxbx to the community, anyone that wants to pick it up - be my guest. I'll give you admin rights without hesitation, but please don't ask for more, as this is really a clean and complete break.

Thanks for all the support you people have given me the past 3 years - all the motivations, all the suggestions, brainstorm sessions, little and large contributions - everything, really!

Well, I guess this is it then. Have a good life. Cheers! :wave:
- PatrickvL

·
Registered
10 Posts
You know April Fools was last week right?

Seriously though, sorry to see you go. Are you sure you couldn't just manage your time spent on Dxbx more specifically so that you wouldn't be affecting your health in a negative light (eg, not staying up late all the time)?

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
Very sad news as you and shogun were our 2 best hopes for xbox emulation... thanks for all your efforts :)

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Sorry to hear this.

You are one of the last fires that keep this forum emulation wise burning.

Hope you someday find a balance between your responsibilities and your passion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well this was totally sad news:( But i really understand. This kind of project takes so much time and energy that it must show in your health. I was always thinking by watching the svn progress and keeping us updated, that how how mutch effort it must take.

Atleast Shadow_tj is still working on the project, and i hope to see more genius coders to join in the project. The dxbx has really come long road and has made very good progress:)

So thanks for all the big efforts for the project and i wish all the best to you:thumb::D:thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Aw, that's sad. However I was very pleased with the amount of progress that you've instilled into the Xbox emulation community with the DXBX emulator.

I was getting worried that there wouldn't be many new commits on the DXBX sourceforge page from you for about 3 months or so while you were taking a rest, but bye we must all say!

P.S. I really hope that the Xbox 360 emulation would be easier in a 'practical' sense than the older Xbox console for the PC systems!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bad! Bad! Bad!
XBox is one of the worst emulated platforms - and such sudden strike! oO
P.S: I hope that was't threats from lo-o-o-ong arm of the Microsoft?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
P.S: I hope that was't threats from lo-o-o-ong arm of the Microsoft?
I'm sure that's not it. Microsoft doesn't seem terribly interested in what happens with Xbox emulation - To them, it's a dead platform nowadays. Not to mention the original developer of Cxbx, Caustik used to work at microsoft - I'm sure he would have known better if Microsoft was really concerned.

Sad to see you go, good luck in the future.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Oh my. Not sure on what is happening in your personal life but I send you my best wishes patrickvl. Thank you for your contributions and take care! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this, although maybe it's for the better, you'll get to live your life in full instead. Godspeed and good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wanted to say goodbye too. I appreciate you trying. It was a good run, and kinda exciting too. You will be missed sir.

Have a great life.
goodbye

·
So he's a demon too...
54 Posts
oO You are mofo kidding me !!!!, Nobody is going to pick this up !!! else we would of had loads of other xbox emulator authors etc by now...

I wouldnt care if the xbox360 played all the original xbox games... but damn!!.

Sure there are still ways to get an original xbox... but thats not the point... Thats like spending the last 3 years of your life giving blood... only to realise youve been feeding a fat greedy vampire oO

Anyway... this is a true loss to emulation as a whole.. and just as it started to show promise by running a few games.

And to be honest, i was willing to allow you to sacrifice your well being for the good of the project... lol jk

Profound sadness is all i can say. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Patrick,

aren't you just spending all your time playing those XBOX games that you received for debugging purposes? It would take you few months!!! ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the efforts put into this.

I am sure that at some point somebody will pick it up and continue it. It is in the human nature to face something bigger than us. And since there isn't yet a fully functional XBOX emulator, some coder will decide to face it at some time.

Meanwhile, let's keep collecting info about the XBOX.

It was good, very good effort.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts