Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm starting to sound like an old fart, because I like my games on a medium, whether it be CD or DVD. The idea of buying a game online, downloading it to a PC, and not having an archive, in case of a virus or hard drive crash, is scary...

I like to play my games for years. I keep games I like, trade/give away ones I don't, so the idea of having no hardcopy of a game, just doesn't appeal to me...

I also don't like being forced to register a product. I don't think I should have to 'prove' I own a product I bought before I can use it, and then, when the company decides, I won't be able to use the product anymore because it won't be registered when I upgrade or need to reinstall it in the future... :hdbash:

I also like buying used games *I'm cheap, no apologies, it's just what I am* and I don't like the fact that some games that require registration can't be purchased used... :innocent:

So I was wondering what the appeal to downloading games from companies is, or having to register games before playing them is, because, I for one, don't get it... :cuss2:

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well I guess I like to buy hard copies as well. You just feel safer that way. This whole new wave of having to register things does piss me off as well. It's bad enough that games are so large it takes 20 minutes jus to install them :rolleyes: Let alone taking 10 minutes through their complicated registration papers and "activation" sites ...

If it comes to having to download games, I think that would suck. I mean, so what? We are all gonna have to buy DVD burners with the huge size game files that games are today? (I mean I have one already) But what about everyone else? And people that can't afford high speed internet? What about them!?

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
Yeah, my computer can play all the latest games but what's the point if I can't buy them because I don't have broadband internet!

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
and what about backing up all possible data? even registry? :) I'm sure there's a way to back it all up :) and if there will occure a need you will just load that data back ;)

·
band
4,912 Posts
i believe u wud have to be very, very skilled ( a la emporio, but we dont know whot they are now do we ;) ) ...otherwise u'd just be ghosting the entire drive :p

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Digital mean of commerce sucks... I'm a purist, I can't live without the fancy box, the pretty painted cd/s and the manuals...

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I don't mind doing online ordering, but ordering something and downloading it seems kind of strange to me. I like having tangible evidence of the game, especially since there's usually art in the manuals. If it's cheaper, I'd think about it, but usually they cost the same thing.

As for registering...what a waste of time. :p

·
Registered
822 Posts
For online ordering for games that require d/l and registering, if they charged oh say $20 Canadian (should be around $10 - $15 USD) then I will consider doing the registering/activation and having full rights to download whenever I need to then yes If they charge the same prices as todays games there is no way I want to pay around $50USD for a game that has no media or anything tangible.

Also I am known as a COLLECTOR, and so hence I prefer anything in a Limited Edition + toys :D

S

·
0 Posts
I got LFS...which is only available online, but I ordered a version with cd.
I like a real box you can hold much better too...

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Yeah I like to have my cases and cd's aswell. Its nice to show off your collection and its a solid proof of purchase :)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Well, concerning HL2, the good part is that you have nothing to do but to wait till it's completely DLed through Steam, then you have autoupdates and some -badly done- features. The bad part, you must have broadband internet to get it, and I know some guys that are still on 56k. Backing up is easy, just burn all the Dled content to CDs/DVDs,
of course having a box still appreciated. But on HL2 the retail box contains only a DVD and a stupid card as a booklet, doh' .... looks like they found a way to make buy online ^^

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's called "backup game files", hehe. :p

As for the subject. This is the only game I've bought online that I've had to download. The rest, I'll just purchase via Amazon.com or some other place and have it shipped. :)
- Modem

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I've bought download software online before, Activestate Komodo. Never bought download games before though.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Nightwolf, NS is isn't an official mod but it's the 1st in the 3rd party games :)
Anyways, those 3 pasts months, it's become hard to find a decent NS servers, either they're full/empty, either they're filled with noobs/massive script users :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I could download it, burn it on a cd, and then be able to reinstall from this cd alone (without requiring acces to the internet or some other kind of registration, as with most offline retail games), i would think about it (of course the price would have to be lowered, since the manufacturing & selling costs are near zero). But Half-Life 2 disgusts me. Even with the retail version, you have to register online in a way which disables trading/selling of the product, and doesnt guarantee permanent ability to use the product. I will never buy such a product.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Once you have it, you can back up the big big big files, then if you have to reinstall Steam, put them back in their original folders. I'd think the only thing you have to do is log into your account once if you have to reinstall Steam. They just want to make sure you have it legally. And I don't get it. If someone no longer wants the game, they can give it to a friend (for a price :p) and just give them their steam account to log into. Then they can just change the password at their leasure. Or, if it's a password you commonly use, you can just change it then give it to them. It's not hard. You'd just have a tough time of doing it online.
- Modem

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the point is you can't trade the game in at stores like Electronic Boutique...Once you buy the game you're stuck with it.
And since you have to download part of the game, if you're on dialup you might not be able to get the 'reast of the game.'
Then, once the company stops selling the game, you'll no longer be able to reinstall it. I still play games I bought 10 years ago, like DOOM '95' ... Do you think you'll be able to play Half Life 2 10 years from now? I doubt it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts