Next Generation Emulation banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>yeah. and to be honest, it really doesnt matter to me. my current monitor will only display 75hz at a max of 1152x864...but if/when i get an LCD @ 1280x1024...that's a high enough res for me to stop caring about much AA. so i think it works out :)

It's only HL2 I get any kind of slowdown at 1280x960 4xFSAA, every other game seems to be fine (except Deus EX 2 and Vampire, which are just badly coded and run crap whatever)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Before my 6800NU died it did 1156x864 with 4xAA/16x AF fine in practically every game I played. My god have mercy on my broken 6800NU :( it sits over here on a table.

Strangely enough. I still play every game @ 1156x864 with 4xAA/16xAF

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yeah,6XXX series would be a nice upgrade nowadays...do the fx5900 series it too bad for dx9 game?and do ati card is too bad for opengl game?is it the hardware or the driver problem?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
The 5xxx series seems to be fine for Dx8 based games, but is comparatively slow in Dx9. The 5900XT was a nice card, but compared to even the 6600GT (supposedly a mid range card) it's quite weak.
ATi cards are gereraly worse than nVidia cards at OpenGL, however these days there aren't that many OpenGL games in development (any which are are on the Doom 3 engine, IIRC), and older games won't exactly be hurting for speed.
Myself? I'd get a 6xxx jsut so that when SM3 becomes more popular I can reap the benefits.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hmm I wouldnt say OpenGL is dead as you imply Kane. Problem OpenGL faces is simply the fact that its compiler tools havent been as available as DirectX. I really expect the next 2 years to even out a bit. OpenGL tools (Such as GLSL) are now available since the latest OpenGL spec finalized. Until recently devs didnt have much choice but to use Direct3d for a decent feature set.

P.S. Actually I play World of Warcraft in opengl ;p

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
>yeah. and to be honest, it really doesnt matter to me. my current monitor will only display 75hz at a max of 1152x864...but if/when i get an LCD @ 1280x1024...that's a high enough res for me to stop caring about much AA. so i think it works out :)

It's only HL2 I get any kind of slowdown at 1280x960 4xFSAA, every other game seems to be fine (except Deus EX 2 and Vampire, which are just badly coded and run crap whatever)

Deus Ex2 1.2 patch fixes it up to make it run better cuz when i played it with my GF4Ti4200 i was playing it at 1024x760 Highest Game settings no aa and no af and it ran smooth. gamershell should have the patch for it.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
ChrisRay said:
Hmm I wouldnt say OpenGL is dead as you imply Kane. Problem OpenGL faces is simply the fact that its compiler tools havent been as available as DirectX. I really expect the next 2 years to even out a bit. OpenGL tools (Such as GLSL) are now available since the latest OpenGL spec finalized. Until recently devs didnt have much choice but to use Direct3d for a decent feature set.

P.S. Actually I play World of Warcraft in opengl ;p
Not saying is dead. I'm saying that Direct3D has a large lead at the mo.
GeneralClaymore said:
Deus Ex2 1.2 patch fixes it up to make it run better cuz when i played it with my GF4Ti4200 i was playing it at 1024x760 Highest Game settings no aa and no af and it ran smooth. gamershell should have the patch for it.
Nope. Didn't do bugger all.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
The ATi 'weakness' in OpenGL is down to the drivers for ATi cards being not as good as thier nVidia counterparts.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well they are improvnig a little bit, but very slowly ...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Apparently they have to completely rewrite thier OpenGL code to improve it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Actually ATI stated they arent rewriting their opengl code. So I wouldnt expect any improvements unless the game is important..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
so the ATI have potiential to improve their driver,but the fx series is stuck:p luckily i go for r98p instead of 5900nu last time:p

41 - 54 of 54 Posts