Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm buying a new video card because the one that came with my machine isn't very good.

I'm not looking to play the latest PC games, just my PSX games with ePSXe. Games like metal gear solid, crash bandicoot, final fantasy 7, driver, megaman x4, street fighter alpha 3, tenchu etc. For instance, I was looking at the eVGA Geforce 6600GT, but that may be more than I need.

What do you suggest? What do you currently own? Please don't hesitate to leave out any info.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
a videocard just to play ePSXe....well then you'll definitely want to go Nvidia, so you can use very high X and Y with pete's new plugin. actually, he has that new super high Y...

well anyway the 6600GT should be perfectly fine to run psx emulation with alllllll the goodies, however i think that "super high Y" might need a 6800 or higher to run... i have a 128mb 6800 and i've yet to try out the ultra high Y, it says a 256mb card recommended but we shall see..

·
Registered
654 Posts
To back up Guyver2K6's advice:

I've owned a PCI-based FX5200. It can't do particles, shaders or framebuffer effects to save its life. I mean, officially it supports them, but in actual practice whenever those features are in use framerates drop drastically, sometimes by more than a factor of 10.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
bbglee said:
Hmm... It appears I only have PCI slots (not express) so either I need to start building my own system, or get an old PCI card.
you wont have much luck with a PCI card. you'll be playing PSX emulation with OpenGL with no goodies turned on. pretty crappy.

you need to build a new system ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want to stick with what you own, i'd reccomend a NVIDIA 5x00 series card. My old 5500 FX ran everything at near full speed with everything on using petes OGL2 plugin (and i only had a 1.2GHz CPU to power my PC!). These type cards will probably still cost around $100-$150.

If you feel you need a new PC, my only advice is NOT to buy any gateways/dells/ect. Go to a specialty company (alienware being the most famous example) and put the thing together the way you want it.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
yuck. i would recommend a 5600 as the bare bare minimum. my 5600 did very high X and Y, but was horrible at shaders and such. it will do the trick...but leave you wanting more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.