Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been researching DVD burners, and I think I'm going to get one for myself as a sort of MEMEMEMEMEME Christmas present.

I'm primarily looking at three burners:

Lite-On SOHW-1633S
Pioneer DVR-108
NEC ND-3500A

I'm leaning towards the NEC drive, but I haven't made a decision yet. I won't be ordering it until after Christmas, anyway.

Any comments/insights/anecdotes? I've seen threads like this here, but they were all old, so I made a new one.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've never had problems with a lite on product, pioneers have gone out on me b4, and I've never tried a nec. help any?

·
band
4,912 Posts
this i know for sure :

nec = amazing quality with even [email protected]$$ media+ lots of firmware updates (due to lots of companies using nec as oem) + lots of 3rd party firmwares made by users to allow faster speed burns and higher quality

liteon = more firmware than NEC + good quality

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Go with either the liteon or nec,they make damn good brands of dvd burners and whatnot:).

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
I got the Pioneer in my main PC & ordered the NEC for another PC yesterday (it was £10 cheaper than the Pioneer) obviously I havent used the NEC yet but the Pioneer is really good.
It burns everything I try on it with no coasters so far, with updated firmware it burns the 8x disks Im using at the moment (Datawrite Fuji greys) at 12X & all the DVDs I have tried work flawlessy in my home DVD player.
I think you'll find that Liteon only burns @8x on - media & 2.4x on dual layer though so I cant see why you would want that.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Overall I can tell you a majority of the DVDRW are "good" the reason I say this is because spec wise and burning capability wise they are on par with each other. It is mainly about the media (brands like Maxell, Verbatim etc..) type you use which determine the compatibility. Currently the popular ones at our shop are:

NEC 3500A
LG 4160B
Pioneer 108

These have been the popular sellers at our store.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
the DVR-108 is a very nice drive. Make sure to update the firmware though ;)

Never had a problem with mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts