Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an idea of buying a bunch of RROD Xbox 360's and YLOD PS3's cheap from ebay, fixing them and sell them. I could make a profit doing so providing I can fix the systems. I could also invest in bricked Wii's as well and get the tools to reflash the nand chip.

Need to buy a soldering kit. If I decide to mod some systems after fixing, that of course would be for my personal use.

I could scour ebay for any faulty console and give it a go at trying to fix them.

If I could fix some systems, I would of course consider donating a system to emu authors.

·
Super Moderator
13,072 Posts
If extremely cheap, visibly easy to fix and not done any more often than extremely ocassionally enough that any failure to fix could be treated as spilt milk, who knows.
With purchases of faulty hardware, I wouldnt recommend considering that though, even occasionally.

'Normal' repairs and tech support is usually much less troublesome than dealing with electronics. Random freelancing is alright too.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was considering that as well since I will be trying to get my A+ certification. I was thinking taking up repairs of other electronics besides pc repair. My reason for buying faulty systems would be to fix and sell them, providing they can be fixed, as well as the costs and complexity involved in fixing. If I can buy cheaply, fix the systems, I can sell them for a decent profit.

For bricked Wii's, there is soldering involved but once a re-flashing tool is installed a new system menu can be flashed on to the system.

This would also be an excellent opportunity to learn. I've been interested in electronics and electronic repair since I was thirteen and I've had some success stories.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
I just had an idea of buying a bunch of RROD Xbox 360's and YLOD PS3's cheap from ebay, fixing them and sell them. I could make a profit doing so providing I can fix the systems. I could also invest in bricked Wii's as well and get the tools to reflash the nand chip.

Need to buy a soldering kit. If I decide to mod some systems after fixing, that of course would be for my personal use.

I could scour ebay for any faulty console and give it a go at trying to fix them.

If I could fix some systems, I would of course consider donating a system to emu authors.
I have actually done that inbetween jobs.

I would provide a full lite-on service back in the days of old and had vacuum forming machinery to mold replacement mod parts for access flash updating.
For a while I was even a mod on the ixtreme support forums but alas, my mum died and that was the end of my 360 1337 days.

Make sure you crunch the numbers for your ebay business and have a solid turnout.
Determine a set price to sell systems for in ebay, it is important as when people check your feedback history and see other systems all going for the same price, it will remove questions they may ask themselves about individual items.

Figure out the kickbacks you must give ebay and paypal for each system sold at a set price and figure out your taxes.

From these numbers, draw up a profit margin you would be willing to accept.
Up this by 40%.

Basically, have good organisation and set rules that you will follow to ensure you can both earn wages and reinvest into assets to improve your services.

Honestly, I would avoid rrod 360's. Kids these days towel trick and oven the hell out of them before hawking them on ebay. You could receive some very crispy systems bro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts