Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Irregular User
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some initial testing. Runs very smooth at high settings 1280x1024 (native res) and 2-4X AA (i enabled FSAA ingame/config settings but it doesnt seem to be working, mebbe cards CP will do)
Runs at 40-60FPS (cap?) very smooth, except when i enable SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion), it consumes a lot of rendering power making things way slower, there is some difference in shadow quality but id rather take it off...
ALso supports my ol Logitech Rumblepad 2 natively as it automatically assigns the buttons and analog sticks, complete with vibration function (too bad i dont have analog triggers)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
This looks like a real good follow up to Test Drive Unlimited, I'm kinda burnt out on that game due to it's nerfed online gameplay. Can't even drive with Samor :(

Can't you put acceleration to your right thumbstick? That's the first thing I'll do. A racegame without analog throttle is a no-go ever since Dreamcast.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Nice i will get this one

·
Irregular User
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Cid Highwind: Yes you can map the acceleration and break to the right thumbstick, but the game warns you not to since there are times that both must be used at the same time (i also prefer that in most of my racing games, mostly racing sims since i dont have analog triggers like the PS3 pad and x360 pad)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,650 Posts
hearing it runs smooth, I have no reason not to get it, I guess :)

I also got Grid recently (budget bin), but I actually didn't get to play it yet. I've been experimenting too much with the pc recently (windows 7 testing, back to vista now) and I've also been revisiting several games on PS2 (MGS2 on PS2 is so much nicer than on the PC) and DC (Shenmue still rules kthxbye).

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
i run the game full settings and it run silky smooth, a pity when games like gta4 never got such attention.... still burnout paradise is the best burnout thus far so I am fine that this is the only one they released on the pc, still i cant seem to find the feature in the psp burnout legends game where you have to smash up as many cars as you can and if your car gets hit a few more times you can make it explode to cause even more destruction, but i think it is not in this game, pity it wouldve been great with the new engine

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
hearing it runs smooth, I have no reason not to get it, I guess :)

I also got Grid recently (budget bin), but I actually didn't get to play it yet. I've been experimenting too much with the pc recently (windows 7 testing, back to vista now) and I've also been revisiting several games on PS2 (MGS2 on PS2 is so much nicer than on the PC) and DC (Shenmue still rules kthxbye).
Having fun looking for Sailors, schoolboy? :p

Where did you see Grid for a nice price, I'll make sure to pick it up. The demo rocked. I'll get this game soon as well, would like to try a demo by the time I get my videocard back, or a replacement. I need my racingfix man, haven't toured with you for a while. At least in Burnout and Grid the crashes are nice ;)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,650 Posts
Having fun looking for Sailors, schoolboy? :p
Better get a tough tattoo, so no one will mess with you ;)

Where did you see Grid for a nice price, I'll make sure to pick it up. The demo rocked. I'll get this game soon as well, would like to try a demo by the time I get my videocard back, or a replacement. I need my racingfix man, haven't toured with you for a while. At least in Burnout and Grid the crashes are nice ;)
Grid was 25 euros at both Next Level and NedGame.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
my system is pentium d 3ghz, 2 gigs of ram, 9800gt and i can run on max settings inluding ssao, very high res and max antialiasing.... i would be very suprised that you cant run it redlofredlof, not sure at max settings, though... what is surprising that gta4 runs like a dog even at low detail, still i havent tried with the new patch and the latest nvidia drivers (which give a huge performance boost, depending on the game, just look at what they said "80% performance on lost planet, although i think the game was purposefully locked at 25 fps on dx10 with an 8500 gt so it forced me to upgrade the video card to 9800gt and now it runs faster! I tell you nvidia and ati purposefully make some games run slower to make you get a better graphics card)

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
SSAO completely kills performance. Went from 60fps to 20fps in my case.
Anyway : the cars and shadows are nice, the city is far from impressive tho. The environment is really not that great, but most of the time you'll be going too fast to really care about it, so it's not that big a deal.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Better get a tough tattoo, so no one will mess with you ;)
Hey! Wanna wrestle you guys?

Seriously, Shenmue was amazing ;) Long live Dreamcast/ex-Dreamcast owners !

·
Irregular User
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SSAO is performed completely in the GPU as a pixel shader so if you have a fast GPU, it will run better (my ol stock 9600GT can't do it well), GTA4 is massively dependent on the CPU though.

Btw, Crysis is also using SSAO as one of its features (and for nVidia cards SSAO can be enabled and disabled if you have the latest drivers and is running windows vista/7)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,650 Posts
Thanks for the info, Viper. Seems that since this game isn't as CPU dependent as GTA4 (as in, GTA4 does not seem to care about your GPU at all), it should run just fine here :)

·
Irregular User
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i get decently high framerates even with a puny X2 4000+ lol (without SSAO)

anyway, more shots, a screenshot difference between SSAO enabled and disabled.

SSAO off

SSAO on

SSAO off

SSAO on

It adds additional shadows on more enclosed spaces, as well as when multiple objects are near each other (and seems to add extra shadows as well), it's up to you if you want to keep it enabled or not depending on how good your video card is and if you like the little graphical extras.
Framerate is from 60FPS to 17-20FPS when SSAO is enabled -_-

and the rest

1 - 20 of 206 Posts