1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Unlimited...
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bungie 'probably' exiting Halo
News by Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Jul 27, 2009 11:55 am PT

Now-independent developer says Halo: Reach will likely be its swan song in the sci-fi series it created at the turn of the century.

When Halo: Reach's mysterious trailer debuted at last month's Electronic Entertainment Expo, it generated a lot of interest. The rabid fanbase of the sci-fi series was intrigued by its apocalyptic imagery, which recalled Eric Nylund's novel Halo: The Fall of Reach. A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, the book depicted the cataclysmic battle on the fortress world of Reach, where series hero Master Chief and other heavily armored Spartan troopers fight off a Covenant invasion.

Now, a new revelation will increase interest in Halo: Reach even more. Speaking with British-based game site CVG over the weekend, Bungie senior designer Lars Bakken was asked if Halo: Reach was the studio's final Xbox 360 Halo game. "In terms of a platform for Halo games made by Bungie, yes," he responded.

However, Bakken quickly cautioned that that doesn't mean the Halo franchise is going away. "I can't answer that question for Microsoft, though," continued the designer. "Whether they have something in the works or not, I don't know if they're actually ready to talk about it yet. But in terms of Bungie-produced Halo games, ODST and then Reach is probably all you're going to get."

When asked for further clarification, Microsoft deferred to Bungie, which had not responded to requests for comment as of press time. However, if confirmed, the move would sever one of the links between the studio that created Halo and Microsoft, from which it broke away in summer 2007. Microsoft still retains a minority ownership stake in Bungie, and the shop is working on several unannounced projects.

As for Halo, Microsoft has announced that not only will the franchise not be going away, but it is expanding into other media. One of the big stories out of last week's Comic-Con in San Diego was the unveiling of 343 Industries, an entire Microsoft division devoted to Halo games, products, and licensing. The previously rumored label's first project will be Halo: Legends, an Animatrix-style anime compilation from such studios as Production I.G. (the original Blood: The Last Vampire) and Studio4˚C (Tekkonkinkreet). Notable anime directors Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed) and Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell) will also be working on the project.
I doubt this is going to slowdown the series tho.

·
Registered
147 Posts
...just like halo 3 was going to be their last halo game, then.

same with Kojima stating all the time he'll move away from MGS, but doesn't.
i highly think they will make any more games for microsoft. expecially when microsoft took all the credit for halo 3 and gave bungie none. To make a long story short they should be moving to sony. so bungie should be making games for the ps3.

·
Site Owner
18,081 Posts
i highly think they will make any more games for microsoft. expecially when microsoft took all the credit for halo 3 and gave bungie none. To make a long story short they should be moving to sony. so bungie should be making games for the ps3.
MS paid millions to market it, what did Bungie expect?

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Either way, unlike Final Fantasy, I cannot imagine Halo continuing to sell sequels forever. I'm not bashing Halo, I have Halo and Halo 2 and I'll probably buy Halo 3 when I get a 360, but I really don't see them as diverse as other games that have numerous sequels.

That isn't to say they suck or aren't fun, but how many Halo games can we play?

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Considering how much time they must have spent working on tools for the 360, it would be kinda ridiculous to give up on the console, they must be extremely familiar with it by now.

It would also be a pretty petty reason to jump ship. "You steal all the glory, I'm not your friend anymore, Microsoft! *pout*".

(If you mean making games for both the 360 and the PS3, then sure that would be a wise choice, they're not tied down anymore.)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Considering how much time they must have spent working on tools for the 360, it would be kinda ridiculous to give up on the console, they must be extremely familiar with it by now.

It would also be a pretty petty reason to jump ship. "You steal all the glory, I'm not your friend anymore, Microsoft! *pout*".

(If you mean making games for both the 360 and the PS3, then sure that would be a wise choice, they're not tied down anymore.)
Bungie from what ive hear (not sure if its correct though) have been looking for a way out for a long time, remember the whole fiasco with them making the marathon triogy abandonware just when ms bought them.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
I thought that was a brilliant move that might help get people hooked on Halo...

But I'm not a greedy corporate whore...like Microsoft, Sony, etc... :evil:

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
The good thing about the halo universe and how they are developing it is that they do not have to center all the story lines around Master Chief, and this is evident with the upcoming Recon game, focusing on the shock troopers instead of the spartans. I think this is a good move and will continue to keep things interesting for the franchise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That would never happen, since the halo series is the most fps series in history on consoles, it makes them tons of money. Actually they're doing the opposite, milking the franchise to the maximum by doing spin offs (Halo Reach, Halo Wars) and expansion packs (Halo ODST, sad is, they're marketing it as a full game, what a joke).

Every main halo game so far has been more of the same, Halo 3 is too similar to Halo 2 in many many ways. They're too scared to change anything critical that would anger the community.

·
11,526 Posts
It makes sense to make the the first Halo trilogy games similar to each other with minor improvements here and there. To drastically change a series like that in my books doesn't make too much sense. As for milking the franchise, many people want to see more of this halo universe, so if it means that more games are to be made, as well as films, books and action figures, they are simply giving the fans what they want. Mario and Zelda got milked to high heaven and still the fans crave for more, clearly evident in this years E3 with Nintendo basically saying "there is going to be another zelda game, we don't know whats in it yet, but its going to be awesome", *cue millions of screaming fans*.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
I don't feel as if the 3D Mario games are all the same, they have some differences in them and have advanced from Mario 64 to Mario Galaxies, and I expect Mario Galaxies 2 to advance it even more, plus New Super Mario on the Wii will be the first console 2D Mario game since Super Mario World, and will have multiplayer, and more added. It looks great.

I really don't see Halo to Halo 3 as much evolution, but I guess in the FPS realm there isn't much evolution going on, whereas in the Platformer games there is some evolution.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
I only own Halo and Halo 2.

Never bothered to buy the others, as I just rented/borrowed them and what I expected came true. They felt more like expansions and updates then a new game asking for $59. Bungie can try to expand on the universe, but it was already pretty....linear to begin with.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Is that what they call a bungiejump?

·
Unlimited...
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There are only 4 Halo games out right now. And 3 more are coming. A few really good books and an anime. Why people like to complain about that but not the 200+ mario games? There are way more games out there that are being milked to death on crappy ways and no one complains about those.

Example: the mediocre Tales series.

B b but its Halo! we haz to hatez on it!!11111 :rolleyes:

Keep in mind i stopped liking Halo with Halo 2 but i dont like it when people make Halo look the most milked franchise in history when clearly its not. Is not even close compared to others.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
They can make as many Halo games as they want and it won't bother me. I like most of the Mario games, particularly Super Mario 1-3 and the New Super Mario Bros, but to me they are more varied than Halo 1-3. Still I own Halo 1 and 2 so it's not like I hate Halo either and when I get a 360, I'll probably eventually get Halo 3...

·
11,526 Posts
There are only 4 Halo games out right now. And 3 more are coming. A few really good books and an anime. Why people like to complain about that but not the 200+ mario games? There are way more games out there that are being milked to death on crappy ways and no one complains about those.

Example: the mediocre Tales series.

B b but its Halo! we haz to hatez on it!!11111 :rolleyes:

Keep in mind i stopped liking Halo with Halo 2 but i dont like it when people make Halo look the most milked franchise in history when clearly its not. Is not even close compared to others.
so true noja, one game every two years is hardly saturating the market.

And in other news, Gearbox have denied being the developers for Halo 4.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.