Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I have a question here. I want to upgrade my pc and I have chosen the following parts:

Mainboard: MSI K9A2 CF-F
CPU: Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition
GPU: MSI RX3850-T2D512E-OC
Ram: 2048MB DDR2 Corsair TwinX XMS2 CL5

I was looking for a PSU to use with these parts and thought of getting a Chieftec Smart Series GPS-350EB-101A. What do you think, will that one be OK? I don't play much on the pc, maybe I will do some videoencoding (I don't really know if this has anything to do with the topic but anyway).

Let me add that I only want recommendations for a PSU. The other parts are already chosen.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have one HDD and two dvd drives.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
U will need at least 450w or more psu lost wattage over time make sure u choose the good brand name

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Assuming you don't have many harddisks or other add-on devices, that should be enough, however I have never heard of that power supply brand before, so you may want to consider buying a better known brand name.

Also, I'd recommend going for at least 500w, for upgradeability reasons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks you for your quick answers. Following your advice, I've looked for other products and have found these:
Seasonic S12II-380 380 Watt
BE Quiet! Straight Power 400 Watt / BQT E6

What about these, I think the brands are quite well known. As for the upgradeability, I don't plan on upgrading again for the next couple of years. When the time comes, I will have to consider buying another PSU if necessary, so as long as I am able to run this system, it is good enough for me.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
You don't need a strong psu, you'll a reliable and highly efficient psu.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Where are you ordering from? This will let me know what's available so I don't recommend stuff you can't get.

So far, of the one's you've listed, the Seasonic is the best (probably by far), and while I usually harp that watts don't mean much, 380, while it would power that, is a little lower. Since you're upgrading the PSU now, you don't want to do it again when you upgrade another part, like say, the video card, which will be a very likely upgrade between now and your next big upgrade. I know you say you're not upgrading again soon, but you still don't want to have to turn around and do this again the next time you do. Go for something 450-500 watts, more obviously never hurting.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
...Seasonic isn't as good a brand as people believe.... its all Antec type hype and bull****.

·
The one and only
3,658 Posts
+1 for the corsair. wish i got a higher wattage, though, now i cant really upgrade my graphics.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Hi, ngemu's bargain bin PC builder; at your service.

Yes, buying something cheap can be a bad thing, it can also be a good thing; depending on why.

Mostly because of user reviews; buying the low-end model can sometimes be... a good thing. For instance; my PSU costed me a grand total of $25 dollars; and I've been using it for two years now without hickup. Why did I buy it? I heard good things about it from people who were using it for a long amount of time.

I'd say there is a higher chance that if you bought a no-name PSU that you'd get a bad one; but if there's reason to believe other people that purchaced it are pleased and have had one working well for a very long time; then there might be reason to believe it would be a good investment.

However, buying something that is expensive doesn't always mean it's the best choice; only that it might be a little more fool-proof.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Mostly because of user reviews; buying the low-end model can sometimes be... a good thing. For instance; my PSU costed me a grand total of $25 dollars; and I've been using it for two years now without hickup. Why did I buy it? I heard good things about it from people who were using it for a long amount of time.
Exactly. Everyone always laughs at me when I say the Hec 585 Watt PSU is actually pretty good (~$25 when I bought a few for various computers). I even had my computer (Q6600/4gb/gf9600/3xhdd) powered by one for awhile when my much more expensive 850 watt power supply had to be serviced.

In general, for newer PC builders I'd always recommend a well known power supply model / brand with a bit more watts than is absolutely necessary.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
...Seasonic isn't as good a brand as people believe.... its all Antec type hype and bull****.
Let me guess. You had a Seasonic PSU go bad on you?

Seasonic is one of the better PSU brands. At least, it's definitely the best mentioned so far in this thread (except maybe the Corsair, which is actually made by Seasonic, so go figure...). I'm not sure what Antec has to do with it.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I'd say a Corsair or OCZ.

I've never had a problem with OCZ PSUs, and my friends have never had problems with Corsairs.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Thermaltake is alright, but it's too hard to say they're either this or that. Their lineup is a mess. They have way too many different models and makes manufactured by too many different makers, so some of their stuff is good, but some isn't so good.

Thermaltake definitely isn't in the same class as Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, or even Seasonic (which makes most of the good stuff that comes from the latter two).

The problem with Thermaltake is that if I was going higher end, I'd rather choose something else, and it's lower end stuff (like the ever so popular budget TR2 line, namely) isn't really that good. Thermaltake isn't really so great. It's cooling products (especially water cooling) is laughable, I can't speak for their cases, and the PSUs are probably above average if you averaged all of their units out, but not by as much as the hype around the name says. In other words, Thermaltake is decent, but overrated.

This would actually probably explain it better than I.

Roundup: 14 Power Supply Units from Thermaltake (page 27) - X-bit labs

Notice the TR2 line's wattage is inflated. Oh, wait, doesn't that sit there with what those "cheap" off brand companies do?

PC Power & Cooling is good. Corsair has just stolen alot of their thunder with how good of an entrance they made in the PSU arena.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Im with you on the water cooling. If you have a TT wc setup, laughing stock is an understatement. But ive never had a problem with my toughpower. i might go Corsair for the SFF im building

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
The Toughpower is the only thing that saves Thermaltake from being knocked down a peg, in my opinion. In other words, that PSU isn't bad at all.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts