Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ello hey!

well... dunno.... but do you think what im getting at is a good idea ? and well worth the money ?

what im trying to do is to build a personal computer using computer hardware.... i recently upgraded my vga card.... and my old one has tv-out put....

i could easily connect the cpu to the tv.... and use pc platform peripherals... like gamepads....

i would bring in emulation, and pc games to my cpu.... playing backed up roms from cross platform console systems....

all together i should get a quality computer at retailer stores at around a little bit more then $500 i hope....

this costs around like a ps2 and xbox...

what do you think?
any suggestions ore comments would be cool :) NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE :)

THANKS

TRUFFLES

·
Registered
12,014 Posts
This is better in off-topic hardware. I'm not sure exactly what the question's about, however. Is your current computer any good? If it isn't, sure, go ahead and get some new stuff. If it is, why bother?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
of course... i understand.... but there are many games i am missing... which i believe should be played in front of a big screen tv!

there are many snes, gbx, cps2.... games.... pretty cool....

an old game on old platform can just be as fun as games on next gen consoles :)

G

·
But why build a console PC, if that is what you are calling it, if you already have a PC? Just use your TV ouput Video card to hook up to your "Big Screen" TV, get yourself some quality emus like ePSXe, ZSNES, GENS, MEKA, Z26, VBA, and PJ 64, find some roms for those emus that require them and you are set. Building another PC soley for ths purpose is not necessary, at least to me it isn't.
On a side note, my PC is a home built system. I did this so that I could have exactally what I want in it.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

G

·
I have a tv-out on my computer, and that works really well. You cannot tell the difference if I'm playing a real SNES or an emu, so that's very cool. :)

However, it's depending on a lot of things. Where do you live, what kind of TV you have....

For example, with my tv-out/tv combination I can only get PAL (since I live in europe). There are however, much more NTSC games (arcade games are also 60fps, so thats also best on NTSC). Surely I can play NTSC games, but 60fps game on a screen that refreshes 50 times per second, well, you get very choppy scrolling. So make sure you can do 60hz, and it would be even better if you can do both. Make sure you get a card with a good tv-out. Also, it's handy to know a thing or two about refresh rates and fps in order to run the stuff as smooth as possible. And you'll still need a monitor, in case you have to change configs, reinstall, etc.

Next, the gamepad...there are often issues with pc gamepads, some emulators having trouble with certain pads, etc. Make sure you get a good one. For a real console-experience you might want to use a psx pad with psx>pc adapter. Also, having more than one game controller connected to your pc can be annoying. It is possible however, and if you use two similar pads (use USB, no gameport) it should work out..its just that some emulators dont like it...but fortunately for most systems there's more than one emulator now. You'll probably encounter some difficulties (it's a pc we're talking about) but I definately think it's possible to do what you want.

G

·
Originally posted by sxamiga
But why build a console PC, if that is what you are calling it, if you already have a PC? Just use your TV ouput Video card to hook up to your "Big Screen" TV, get yourself some quality emus like ePSXe, ZSNES, GENS, MEKA, Z26, VBA, and PJ 64, find some roms for those emus that require them and you are set. Building another PC soley for ths purpose is not necessary, at least to me it isn't.
On a side note, my PC is a home built system. I did this so that I could have exactally what I want in it.
sincerely,
sx/amiga
I could imagine he has his computer upstairs and a big tv in the living room or something. Personally I prefer the monitor screen, but that's me..I also prefer playing games on a PC over a console, but everyone feels different about that. The only time I disagree is when people say console games are for consoles and pc games are for pc...thats something you should decide yourself.

G

·
I agree Samor, I much perfer a Monitor over a TV. I will also take emulators, anyday, over the actual machines (SNES, Genesis, etc.).
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
Yes, but sometimes it also looks cool when you're playing a game on your PC that's connected to a monitor.. especially when the TV screen is large, it really rocks! Although I'd think that having that capability is a novelty and you really shouldn't go out making yourself a 'console' PC for any reason.. buy a card with a TV-out if you wan't to, having a good controller for you PC is also nice.. but don't do it for the purpose of connecting your PC to the TV (well if you can spare the money.. :heh: ) at any rate, the decision as always is up to you.. if it makes you happy, then maybe it's all worth it.. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
it would be cool if you had bought ....just what you need for a decent system(fast cpu Gf3 big hddd 4 usb ports SBLive) thats about all youd need and fit it in to a homemad(or bought)console size box jamming it full of emus and games for every system imaginable and keep it at the tv at all times just like a multi game machine /dvdplayer/tv recorde/stereo.... also get (cant remembethe name)that lets you use your gamepad as mouse under windows or a cordless mouse on the coffe table....SWEET this wo ld be the shit...

·
Registered
276 Posts
The great thing about tv out is that peoples tv's are normally considerably larger than their monitors. Playing snes, megadrive, etc games with the gfx nicely blended on a tv, coupled with a control pad, is certainly something everyone should try if they have the chance.

G

·
I did that exact thing, built a 3rd computer just for emulation, movies, and music and hooked it up to my home theater system. For me it is the only way to go for emulated consoles besides the real thing.

Also forgot to mention that PSX, and N64 games at a higher resolutions, and enhanced graphics with FSAA is the only way to play on a TV. There is just no comparison to the real thing. Also using rocknes with video filtering, as well as other emulators will make the games look so much better then the originals being played on a real console. For me it is so much better to relax on the couch in front of my big tv then sitting in a computer chair in front of my monitor. I personally just like to play the console games like you would the real thing. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consoles on a Monitor??

Is there any way to take the output from a (real) console, and put it onto a monitor, without buying a TV card for the PC. I would love to be able to connect a gamecube straight onto a monitor without worrying about a TV card.

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
The VGA box you got is the same as mine, Shadowflare: It's a line doubler. I doubles the scan frequency of the PS2 output so that it can be outputted to a monitor. You can get a generic one for composite/s-video/EuroAV, but they cost around GB£200 IIRC

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Well I use a Zoltrix Genie TV for playing PS2 games on my monitor.
So that I can capture a few shots and record some gameplay too.
(Lord Kane u once told me about Dscalar, which is the best filtering mode for using it with PS2?)

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
There is a Greedy setting I think. I'm not at my own 'pooter at the mo, so I can't tell you. The VGA box produces much crisper images, but you can't take screencaps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.