Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear NGEmu,

I am looking into building a PC that is capable of emulation of several of my favourite consoles. I've been looking around and this seems it can become quite pricey after a while.

Biostar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard - Qty: 1
AMD A64 X2 4400+ 2.30GHz OEM - Qty: 1
Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory - Qty: 2
Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB Hard Drive - Qty: 1
Apex PC-373 Black Mid-Tower Case - Qty: 1

I was recently looking at a setup like the one above, and replacing the onboard GFX card. The Radeon HD 4770 caught me eye on a good replacement. I'm looking into emulating PS2 games the most and was wondering what kind of specs. I should really be looking into supply this requirement?

Regards,
Vaughands

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
if you want a media pc then nvidia is the better choice, ATI's acceleration of certain formats as of now is sketchy at best.
There is also a ATI bug in GSDX, im not sure of the entire issue but Rama2k has some info on it :\

Source
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-6867-page-1.html

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Also settle for an Intel CPU instead. They have the advantage in PCSX2.

BTW, what's your budget? If you think that build is pricey, building a computer for PCSX2 and getting decent performance might be a little bit much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'm looking to spend about 400 bucks, the above is running for 220 bucks. So that would give me about... 250 bucks to spend on a GFX card. Or perhaps it's better to build from scratch. That's a barebones kit up above. I'm measuring all prices in CAD.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
;) AMD just isn't good for PS2 emulation.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Trust him :p Skore is king of NCIX :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The build above looks enticing, I was told somewhere else that perhaps a Raedon 8800GT or Radeon HD 4770 might be a better card for a video card.

Also, the proccessor is 2.5ghz, is that too slow as a standard? Will I need to overclock it? If there is a way to get THAT much better performance for a little bit of extra money I wouldn't say no. Not to mention, how much is it going to heat up?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
the GTS 250 is based on the 9800GT.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Well, the GTS250 is a rebranded 9800GT. But yes, the 8800GT is sufficient for PCSX2. A lot of places don't carry it anymore though, but I'm sure you can find one on Ebay for dirt cheap. The 4770... I don't know to be honest. By the benchmarks though, it should be ok too.

PCSX2, it's recommended to get around 3-4Ghz on an Intel Dual core. So overclocking is definitely in order unless you're willing to dish out for an E8400 and just a little overclocking. The aftermarket cooler I listed above will be sufficient for some E5200 overclocking. The great thing about this cooler is how quiet it can be compared to other coolers but still maintain great temps. Not to mention its pretty cheap.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
ECS is more of a general brand. The G31 chipset can overclock like monsters, but only on certain brands. MSI and Asus are the popular G31 boards I think.

For KH 1, 3Ghz is enough. The emulator has gotten pretty efficient with the latest plug ins. Same for FFX.

KH2 you'll need a bit more power, same with FFXII.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
its ECS, which means poor quality design, possibly EMI across the dual channel memory interface, and a poor capability of overclocking.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.