Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Funk Master
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello everyone! I'm new on this forum and just wanted to say hi before I start asking dumb questions...(i'll try and find them first!)

Anyways, I've been suckered into building the infamous NES PC (A PC with a old school NES Case), and I wanted to check with you guys and see what you think of these specs--and how it will handle PS2 emulation. I realize they aren't the best of components out there, but I'm trying to fit it in a NES case--as well as my wallet. Here is the list:

Mobo:
Zotac Mini ITX w/ GeForce 7100 and LGA 775 socket. Comes with wifi kit.
Newegg.com - ZOTAC NF630I-F-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Mini ITX WIFI Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Processor:
Intel Core2 Quad 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Ram:
Just standard for what this mobo can take. DDR2 800, 2 2GB sticks.

Also a 500gb 2.5in drive as well as a blu-ray drive of some kind. The big thing is the processor, I'd like to do quad core for when the inevitable quad support comes up, but its lacking in GHz, which I know is HUGE. I'm also on the edge about overclocking since its in a unconventional case, even though I plan on installing several fans. What do you guys think?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
I checked out newegg and searched for mini ITX boards similar to the one you've proposed, but they will ALL offer you some truely abysmal performance.

Sorry, but you need a real PC case to house a better motherboard. (and to actually house a real graphics card.) :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's no way you can fit all that in a NES case (or maybe it's bigger than I remember). The HDD and BDROM will take up most of the case, and the stock heatsink for the Q6600 is pretty big too. The Q6600 can OC to 3.2+ easily on air, but I don't know about in a NES case with a Micro-ATX mobo. Is the NES case a deal-breaker for you?

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
i don't think you'll be able to fit a pcsx2 playable rig inside the NES case.

the NES projects usually use low-end performance components in order to fit it all in the case.

the heatsink for chips fast enough for pcsx2 are usually pretty large, so you'll have to find some way to eliminate this problem.
(maybe external water cooling? and just run the tubes through some holes)

also, an integrated geforce 7100 is pretty crappy for pcsx2.
i recommend at least a 8600gt GPU if you want to play 3d games.

anyways, good luck with your project.
i've thought about doing the project as well, but having done it yet :p
(the NES is my favorite console :thumb:)

·
Funk Master
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was originally going to just build a NES PC just as a media center. Its not a total deal breaker, just something that I was "geeking" over. Also, me and a buddy are trying to see who can build the better NES PC, so just a little competition in me...

Also, the contents I'm pretty sure will fit in the case with some case modifications (nothing a dremel can't handle!). I've known people to put even 3.5" disc drive in there NES's, so a 2.5 should fit really nice. Didn't think about the ginormous heat sink though, thats a good thought.

I definitely want a smaller case by any means, Its going to be with a TV and other things, so a standard tower would be a little bit too big. Any ideas? I definitely want a unique touch to it...

Also, the whole dual-core/quad-core. The dual's are cheaper for more MHz, but quad-core's are the future. What would be the best?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Also, the whole dual-core/quad-core. The dual's are cheaper for more MHz, but quad-core's are the future. What would be the best?
Well, Core i7 is much more future proof. ;) If I were you, I'd do one of two things:

1.) Get a different media PC case to allow for MUCH more expansion and performance.
2.) Stick with the NES "PC" idea but limit myself to videos and PS1/N64 era and earlier games.

As far as the CPU goes, a Core2 Duo is 100% fine, especially in a media center. (less heat)

Try taking a look around newegg for some HTPC cases. Last time I looked I saw some really nice looking ones. Maybe something will spur your interest... :thumb:

·
Funk Master
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think that NES case is just going to kill my chance of improving the PC inside. I'm still liking the small case. My end goal is to use a PS3 controller to run the PC and for my front-end for emulators. I just didn't believe how far the PS2 emulation has come and now can't say no to it!

How about this mobo?
Newegg.com - ZOTAC GF9300-A-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Its got a decent video card in it already, plus I could expand it if need be. Also, its pretty cheap and can hold a decent CPU. Any thoughts?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Yeah, I think that NES case is just going to kill my chance of improving the PC inside. I'm still liking the small case. My end goal is to use a PS3 controller to run the PC and for my front-end for emulators. I just didn't believe how far the PS2 emulation has come and now can't say no to it!

How about this mobo?
Newegg.com - ZOTAC GF9300-A-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Its got a decent video card in it already, plus I could expand it if need be. Also, its pretty cheap and can hold a decent CPU. Any thoughts?
Definitely a step up, but just because it's labeled as part of nVidia's 9XXX series doesn't mean it's any good. My old 7950GTX can run circles around it while on the 'on battery' power profile.

To get any acceptable speeds you'll have to get an add-in card. The biggest problem with this is how to fit it into an NES case. (and heat :rolleyes:) You would have to probably find a half-height video card. :/

·
Funk Master
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, after doing some other research I've decided to go micro ATX most likely and just do a micro atx case. Just a matter of finding some good stuff. Anyone know of any good mobo's or cards that are of high "value"?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not sure if you know this already, but a 9800 GT is just a 8800 GT with 3-way SLI support (and a die-shrink I heard?), and are basically the same performance-wise.

A 9600 GT is slightly (but single digit %) slower than both.

·
Funk Master
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm, thanks for the info on that. I've been out of the PC world since I've got a mac for my pro audio stuff, anyways, I'm looking to get back into the PC side of things since OSX can be dual booted on a intel system (I guess even other processors now too), but this is the wrong forum for that!

Is there a better graphics card I should go for out there? It seems like everyones using the 8800 series, but I don't want to limit myself especially when I'm building a sudo top of the line rig.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is always higher-end stuff out there, unless you are on 3xGTX 280, which is only going to cost a few kidneys.

As always, there is always a premium associated with highest-end stuff.

I think currently the card with highest performance/price ratio is the 9600/8800.

Below that it's a few bucks less for much less performance. Above that it's arms and legs for a small performance increase.

Depends on your budget I guess, but personally I think it's silly to get anything above 9800 GTX(+), even if you have the money.

For example, a 9600 GT costs ~$70-$80, and a GTX 280 costs ~$500, but I don't think it's 6 times faster. Not even 2 times IIRC.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
If you're going the media center way, allow me to jump in. I can recommend the Q8200, which has support for SSE4.1, which should help. It's a lot more energy efficient thus cooler than the Q6600.

As for a videocard, anything dual slot would be an awesome solution of course, perhaps an HD3850?

·
Funk Master
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the suggestions, its been more than helpful! I think in the last few days I've gone from building a mid-level NES PC, to now building a rather decent media PC. Oh how emulators persuade me...

I also have to say, this has been without a doubt the best forum experience I've ever had. I've gotten so sick of those know-it-alls and just angry people, that this place is a breath of fresh air. Thanks again guys!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts