Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late I think it would be a good idea to get a Mac book. What for? iPhone development of course! But unfortunately, I can't afford an expensive Macbook right now! :mad: So I was thinking about doing what I did with my desktop PC, build one from scratch. I've never build a laptop computer before (especially not a Mac) so I'm not exactly sure what parts I would have to get to build it. I assume it would be cheaper to just build one.

So, would that be worth it? Or would I just be better off buying VMware and emulating MacOS X Leopoard on my Notebook PC? Thanks.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
You can't build a Mac. However, you can install a hacked version of OSX on a regular computer. Its illegal, but it works.

Odds are this thread will get closed fairly quickly, so if you have any more questions best place to go is: InsanelyMac Forum

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Obtaining an old Macbook motherboard might well be more difficult and costly than buying one brand new, but not like you can't find one.

Here's a reliable hit on eBay:

APPLE mac book pro 2.40GHZ MOTHER BOARD 661-4834 - eBay (item 310154140993 end time Aug-07-09 14:35:13 PDT)

Or actually, it's among the few you can find on eBay. Mac's hardware is pretty proprietary after all.

Anyway, after obtaining that board, you only need to worry about the hard drive, RAM, a case and a screen. Those are also on eBay. A new 13.3" LCD WITH a case should set you back at most $150. But the battery might actually costs more than that. <= Reality with proprietary laptops.

So if you're building your own like that, you should be looking at about... $800 - $900 roughly for the entire build if you're lucky.

That's why I said you're better off getting a new Macbook altogether. If it's too costly, you can take it up to Steve. :p Alternatively, though, a Mac Mini (desktop) might be cheap enough for consideration.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
killing yourself would be more merciful.
seriously.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
....thats not what i meant....

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
You can't build a Mac. However, you can install a hacked version of OSX on a regular computer. Its illegal, but it works.

Odds are this thread will get closed fairly quickly, so if you have any more questions best place to go is: InsanelyMac Forum
I don't think the mods care much about copyright infringement on greedy overpricing ****s like apple. No offense of course, but the thread probably will be closed anyway :p.

....thats not what i meant....
Hes determined to get a mac to play around with some dev app.
Suicide is the only option.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Mac computers use (partially) proprietary hardware. A Mac isn't a mac unless it has Apple stamped all over it... And apple doesn't sell many of the individual hardware pieces required to build a computer which can actually be called a mac.

Technically you can do what RAP suggested, but as he said, it just doesn't make any sense.

You can build a PC and install OSX software, but that's illegal, as stated by Apple. The way I see it, hackintosh is the way to go.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Technically, as per the EULA, if your computer is Apple-labeled then hackintosh is not illegal. In a sense, slap an Apple on there somewhere and you're legal. ;p "Apple-labeled" but didn't have to be "labeled by Apple". Pretty silly EULA there. I can twist it all the way around. Apple has a problem with legality right there.

·
Read Only
9,687 Posts
Technically, as per the EULA, if your computer is Apple-labeled then hackintosh is not illegal. In a sense, slap an Apple on there somewhere and you're legal. ;p "Apple-labeled" but didn't have to be "labeled by Apple". Pretty silly EULA there. I can twist it all the way around. Apple has a problem with legality right there.

Lol so that's why I have seem some Acer laptops with an Apple Logo. :lol:

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
The words "budget" and "Mac" don't exactly add up together well. A hunk a' junk Mac with similar specs to my crappy PC would probably cost $600 or something!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Building a PC laptop is hard enough, I'd just go with a hackintosh build. Byuu, the maker of BSNES, made one a while back. This kinda shows how it works if you're interested byuu's homepage

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't get what makes this thread closable just by asking about building a mac book (and it's a fairly common question on the net) unless it's illegal. If I'm better off buying one, no big deal.

I found this auction for $450 USD each: APPLE MACBOOK 13" C2D 2GHZ 1GB/80G/OSX.5 APPLECARE-2011 - eBay (item 190322975196 end time Aug-19-09 16:45:40 PDT)

Agreed.

Now who has my noose? This fool obviously needs it.

Hes determined to get a mac to play around with some dev app.
Suicide is the only option.
You weak pathetic fool... The Mac Book and XCode dev tools are not a toy! oO Only a fool like you would underestimate the power, sheer value and massive market opportunity of iPhone programming! Besides, I have more "senority" than everyone posting in this thread so killing me would be a really hard task as I have survived attacks from some of the most powerful admins. Don't make me laugh... Noob...

Seriously, isn't it obvious why I want this? Business opportunity kid. I mean really, who would spend $800+ USD just to "play" with a tool exclusive to it? Wouldn't it occur to you that this is beyond "a toy"? Do your research... :rolleyes:

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
I don't get what makes this thread closable just by asking about building a mac book (and it's a fairly common question on the net) unless it's illegal. If I'm better off buying one, no big deal.

I found this auction for $450 USD each: APPLE MACBOOK 13" C2D 2GHZ 1GB/80G/OSX.5 APPLECARE-2011 - eBay (item 190322975196 end time Aug-19-09 16:45:40 PDT)

You weak pathetic fool... The Mac Book and XCode dev tools are not a toy! oO Only a fool like you would underestimate the power, sheer value and massive market opportunity of iPhone programming! Besides, I have more "senority" than everyone posting in this thread so killing me would be a really hard task as I have survived attacks from some of the most powerful admins. Don't make me laugh... Noob...

Seriously, isn't it obvious why I want this? Business opportunity kid. I mean really, who would spend $800+ USD just to "play" with a tool exclusive to it? Wouldn't it occur to you that this is beyond "a toy"? Do your research... :rolleyes:

That still amounts to you wanting a mac to play around with a dev app.
~

P.S: your rant was not required, as I was just joking. You insult me by forcing such obvious things down my throat :(.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That still amounts to you wanting a mac to play around with a dev app.
~

P.S: your rant was not required, as I was just joking. You insult me by forcing such obvious things down my throat :(.
Sorry, it sounded/looked rather serious to me. I guess it's because I'm used to being attacked. Sorry about that :emb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.