Next Generation Emulation banner

Broken Socket478 HSF Retention Bracket

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  hushypushy 
#1 ·
When I first booted up my linux machine I went through the normal tweak/configure the bios step. I noticed it had a safety feature to shut the pc down at a certain temp so I set it to 65c. After a while I noticed that the pc was just shutting down without warning so I knew what was up. The problem is that one of the clips on the black retention bracket is snapped off and the HSF isnt being held down all the way.

I managed to get the temps down to about 47c Idle with just hot glue, but if I push just a little harder down on the HSF the temps drop to a nice 42c. Any ideas on how I could fix this? If not, what is a good, _cheap_, hsf that would involve me taking out this bracket to put the new one on.

Ive attached a picture, its a bit blurry but you can see what I mean. Thanks intel/ecs for such cheap plastic ****! :cuss2:

#2 ·
You can buy a new one from most computer shops.. very easy to replace.

/me hugs Albatron for putting a kickass sturdy bracket on. :D

#3 ·
I know naugh bout P4´s....

#5 ·
Mad said:
I know naugh bout P4´s....
Then why did you post :rolleyes:

Thanks, will email a few stores to see if they have any. Hopefully will have a replacement by the weekend :thumb:

#7 ·
reich, you could also just get another HSF that requires the retention bracket removed :)

#8 ·
D.D. said:
reich, you could also just get another HSF that requires the retention bracket removed :)
Gonna pick up the replacement bracket tomorrow I hope, I would get a better hsf if they were only... free :p

$9.99 (CAD) is better than anything else, and the stock hsf will do just fine.

I removed the broken bracket a few minutes ago. After a while of curse words I managed to scrape my screwdriver against the board twice :hdbash: Hopefully it still works, they werent tooo bad :p

#10 ·
I had to post this.. check out my awesome lapping powers. :D

#11 ·
Nice lappage cooliscool :p

Pictures of the walking wounded:

1. Busted retention bracket removed
2. My 2.0Ghz Cellery waiting to bring FC2 back to life
3. Old SDRam in the ocz case, my DVD-RW bag, Stock celeron hsf, 96mb ddr 2100 waiting to go back on the board, DVD-Rom sitting on the left doing nothing.
4. The first scratch on the board, the worst one :(
5. Second scratch, not so bad.
6. The bare socket.

#12 ·
Reichfuher said:
Nice lappage cooliscool :p

Pictures of the walking wounded:

1. Busted retention bracket removed
2. My 2.0Ghz Cellery waiting to bring FC2 back to life
3. Old SDRam in the ocz case, my DVD-RW bag, Stock celeron hsf, 96mb ddr 2100 waiting to go back on the board, DVD-Rom sitting on the left doing nothing.
4. The first scratch on the board, the worst one :(
5. Second scratch, not so bad.
6. The bare socket.
your camera needs Macro so bad it's not even funny :p

#13 · (Edited)
What's macro? I assume it's a timer where the camera will find the most stable time to take a pic then it snaps. Jesus christ Reich, those pics are hella blurry. :p

If so, mine has it. :p If not, can you explain it hushy?

edit: nm, google fixed me up. Also.. my cam has macro, and it fecking rocks. I wish I would have known this sooner. :???: It helps so much on close ups. :thumb:

#14 ·
hushypushy said:
your camera needs Macro so bad it's not even funny :p
Its a canon powershot A20, no idea what you are talking about :p

#15 ·
#16 ·
heh, you could've just asked me :rolleyes: (not like you woulda known)

reich, your camera doesnt have it. you have the same camera as eternal11 btw. basically, it changes the focal length. normally it's, say, 2 feet to infinity, but this changes it to 6 inches to 50 feet or something like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.