Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I've recently begun playing Breath of Fire IV on the ePSXe emulator, it's the 1.60 version and I seem to have run into a problem with being able to move the camera angle. I'm not sure if its a configuration problem on my end or if the emulator itself is preventing the camera from being able to turn angles.

Normally I wouldn't mind because turning the camera isn't a necessity for most games but I find that it is for this game because theres hidden areas and chests that have to be found and without turning the camera angle that is extremely hard to do.

I have tried to mess with the config settings in-game and the emulator settings but no luck in actually finding anything that makes the camera turn. I tried the controller settings and when I press the top buttons it just randomly changes my controlling character while ignoring the camera angle reguardless if I have it set up to move the camera. It is annoying because I can't really play the game properly being unable to change the camera angle. I'd kind of have to guess where things are and that usaully never works out or I'll get a massive headache by the time I actually find what I'm looking for!

Again, I'm not sure if it's an emulator problem or the games problem so bear with me if this doesn't belong here but I have tried everything to get the camera to work - even by deleting the game and redownloading it. I kind of feel I have no other choice but to ask on a solution to fix this. It is just the camera angle giving me problems, everything else in the game works perfectly fine, it isn't choppy, it doesn't freeze, perfect sound quaility. I'm also using SCPH1001 bios - I almost never use SCPH7502 but I tried it and it didn't make any difference on adjusting the camera.

Another thing to note is that I can turn the camera with other games, just not with this one. As far as I know its a configuration problem exclusively to this game but I might be missing the right settings or theres a patch I need to have if its something external to ePSXe.

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
If I remember correctly, it's just the R2 and L2 to move the camera. =_=

Note that certain locations have a camera lock, you can notice that
by the camera icon (somewhere on the screen).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have tried to use those buttons but they don't move the camera, the only thing they seem to do is switch what my controlling character is. For example, if I'm on Ryu it will switch him out and Nina will be in his place or vice versa and I am in places without the camera lock, that I know for certain because I played this game through multiple times and I know what places have the lock.

I have configured it as best as I could but nothing seems to be working. This is like trying to figure out a puzzle except I don't even the pieces to solve it with.

Is there any other way I could move the camera besides using the controller? It could be the controller itself not being compatible with those buttons for the game and not the configuration settings.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
I have tried to use those buttons but they don't move the camera, the only thing they seem to do is switch what my controlling character is. For example, if I'm on Ryu it will switch him out and Nina will be in his place or vice versa and I am in places without the camera lock, that I know for certain because I played this game through multiple times and I know what places have the lock.

I have configured it as best as I could but nothing seems to be working. This is like trying to figure out a puzzle except I don't even the pieces to solve it with.

Is there any other way I could move the camera besides using the controller? It could be the controller itself not being compatible with those buttons for the game and not the configuration settings.
are you sure you dont have two commands mapped to the same button/key?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I think I do because with this controller I kind of have to do that, without me doing it myself. There isn't just an R1-R2/L1-L2 buttons, they are kind of just two large buttons on the top of the controller, there aren't four seperate buttons with two on each side. Ofcourse that makes it very difficult while playing a game that requires the use of the buttons from a traditional PS1 controller.

The strange thing is even though the buttons are like that on other games I can use the top buttons just fine as if I have the four seperate R1-R2/L1-L2 buttons.

The top buttons say 8 for the right button and 7 for the left, it's a Saitek controller.

I'm guessing the controllers top buttons can't be used with this game and I don't have any other controllers... so I'm stumped on what to do. It's not like Breath of Fire III where you can get away with not having to turn the camera. The camera in that game doesn't even turn all the way.

So, I'm guessing no one else has encountered this problem?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
if there are any buttons that you do not use with this game, the d-pad for example, try mapping the camera commands to them instead.

another thing you could do is map the camera commands to a separate input device such as your keyboard. in this method all of the other buttons would remain on the controller but you would use you keyboard specifically for changing the angles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what I was going to do, put the camera button on the keyboard because I use the D pad for moving around and that is the only other thing I can think of. I might just use the regular directional buttons though, not sure. I don't want to ruin the configuration settings for other games and dig myself in a ditch with those. I'll figure it out..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I am horribly sorry for posting this here because as much as I've looked through the other threads, none seem to represent the problem i am having, and i am getting annoyed and frustrated of looking, so here goes.

I am using:
ePSXe 1.7.0
with PEC VT Version 1.2.2

My Desktop's specs are as follow:
MS Windows Vista Home Basic SP1,
AMD Sempron Processor 3400+,
1.0GB RAM,
NDIVIA GeForce 6150 LE.

I started playing Breath Of Fire IV[ISO] on my ePSXe a while ago, and everything was going very smoothly. But recently, i got bored, so i downloaded PEC, and i did as it told me; I switched the video plugin to PEC. I tried configuring it the best i could, but each time i run the game, it seems that unless i am in a fight, most of the left part of the screen flashes black, and on the world map, the whole screen flashes black. Although this only happens when i run ePSXe with PEC, because it works just fine on its own. I have tried googling my problem several times, but never getting any useful results. I have also tried configuring it myself in a bunch of different ways, which the only time i actually found a good setup that stopped the screen from flashing black, either the compass was transparent, or the loading times between maps and going in and out of fights was excruciating. I am using Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9[ePSXe>Config>video>configure>Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9].

If anyone could please help me on this, I'd appreciate it so much, thank you.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
^ next time you should probably make your own thread, so people will notice what you're looking for.

Anyway, if it works without PEC and it doesn't work with it, the problem is obviously with PEC. What cheats are you using? You might have to change/remove some...or just not use PEC at all. It can be finicky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for having not posted my own thread. I have not been on any forums in a while, and for some reason, probably due to the fact that i was very distracted and tired, i couldn't find the new thread button.

I tried even removing all the cheats[There are only 3 for BoFIV] and still i am having the same problem. I'm suspecting it to be something related to the frame rate, but i have absolutely no idea. If i could get a good configuration for the video plugin, i think that would work, because I've tried a bunch of different options without any decently successful result. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.