Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried three different cd sets of Final Fantasy 9 and all of them have bad sectors. The last copy I tried was a bought version from EB so there were no scratches on the cds. The other two were from BlockBuster. I am using Blind Read when copying the games but no matter how many times I clean all the cds, I still get those damn bad sectors. I tried just letting it copy all the way and playing the game but I end up with missing movie scenes which help explain the story. Is there any program out there that can copy these cds properly? I think Square put those bad sectors on the game to stop pirating. I know I can just play off the cds and have no problems, but it runs to slow. By the way, its not my cdrom seeing as GranTurismo, Silent Hill, Breath of Fire 3, and Tekken 3 all work flawlessly after making them into ISO's. I GREATLY appreciate any information you can give me on this matter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried using CloneCD instead and it reports no errors but does take along time at certain percentages to copy the game. Some of the movies still don't play though such as before the opening scene of the play in Disk1. Is this normal for some movies not to play or do you have to setup epsxe a certain way to run this game properly? By the way, I have no problems with my other games such as Final Fantasy 8 and Silent Hill. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Spidy
I just tried three different cd sets of Final Fantasy 9 and all of them have bad sectors. The last copy I tried was a bought version from EB so there were no scratches on the cds. The other two were from BlockBuster. I am using Blind Read when copying the games but no matter how many times I clean all the cds, I still get those damn bad sectors. I tried just letting it copy all the way and playing the game but I end up with missing movie scenes which help explain the story. Is there any program out there that can copy these cds properly? I think Square put those bad sectors on the game to stop pirating. I know I can just play off the cds and have no problems, but it runs to slow. By the way, its not my cdrom seeing as GranTurismo, Silent Hill, Breath of Fire 3, and Tekken 3 all work flawlessly after making them into ISO's. I GREATLY appreciate any information you can give me on this matter.
Hmm maybe itllbe better to use VGS?? Theres no such problems on this emul...:eyes:

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Id say the cdr u are using to read the cds is probably crap and its causeing the read error problem as you say youve tried various sets of cds.
If u want to play this game so bad why not just use the origional cds to play from?
Or do you just want help to make a copy of someone elses set of cds in which case you'll get no help here :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use CDRWIN. I too had problems copying the first cd of my game to iso format, until a friend lent me a copy of his burned cd 1. The other 3 cd's I owned copied with no problems. It is possible that you have a cd rom drive that is less tolerant of such copy protection methods. What kind is it?

Amberion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a toshiba dvd drive and it copyed final fantasy 8 with no errors. I have only had a problem with ff9. As for playing the game from the cd, its way to sloooow. One version of ff9 played the opening movie no problem but when it got to the play, it didnt work. Another version would get half way through the opening scene and skip ahead to the actuall gameplay when you have to light the candle. No matter what prgram I use or how many different set of cds I try, it just doesnt copy it without bad sectors. Why can you read from the cd and play the game with no problems but you can't copy it all to Iso? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Because Sony includes within their CD's certain "dark sectors" areas that the game doesn't access but have been strategically placed to foil copying. These dark spots can cause an entire cluster to go kaput, losing often critical data.

That's what I was told, anyway.

Amberion

·
Registered
575 Posts
hrmmm

I made my copy from a set of CDs using CDRWIN 4.0a and have had no problems... just make sure you have error correction set to 'Ignore'... or the one that replaces one bad sector with another..... I've played through the entire game using this method and have had only minor problems (things like green squares in the MDECs but I think those are either age or just bazd reading on my CDRs part)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.