Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have finally bought the new PC. Now i have some questions hope you guys can help me again :)

1) The motherboard i bought is a Gigabyte X58 Extreme, i have used the window utility that came with it to overclocked my CPU (i7 920) to be 3.2G. Since the multiplier has been set to 20 and the max multiplier the bios can set is 20, so if i want to overclock more, i will need to adjust the frequency right? (Right now the frequesncy is 160MHZ). If i set the frequency higher, anything i need to be careful of? (I have totally no experience on setting those voltage thing)

2) The Ram i get is 6 GB Dorminator 1600 CL8,but i noticed the frequency showing is 1000+- before i overclocked the CPU, now is 1200+ after overlocked the CPU. If i am not mistaken, i think i suppose to overclock the Ram to be 1600MHZ?

3) My current CPU temp is around 48c-50c as reported by the Gigabye utiliy, but in the bios it usually showing 51c-53c. Let's say it is 53c, will it be considered high temp? (I will overclock the CPU to 3.4G instead of 3.2 if possible, so i guess the temp will increase again)

4) Lastly, is it recommended to overclock Graphic card?

Thanks in advance!

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Hi guys,

I have finally bought the new PC. Now i have some questions hope you guys can help me again :)

1) The motherboard i bought is a Gigabyte X58 Extreme, i have used the window utility that came with it to overclocked my CPU (i7 920) to be 3.2G. Since the multiplier has been set to 20 and the max multiplier the bios can set is 20, so if i want to overclock more, i will need to adjust the frequency right? (Right now the frequesncy is 160MHZ). If i set the frequency higher, anything i need to be careful of? (I have totally no experience on setting those voltage thing)

2) The Ram i get is 6 GB Dorminator 1600 CL8,but i noticed the frequency showing is 1000+- before i overclocked the CPU, now is 1200+ after overlocked the CPU. If i am not mistaken, i think i suppose to overclock the Ram to be 1600MHZ?

3) My current CPU temp is around 48c-50c as reported by the Gigabye utiliy, but in the bios it usually showing 51c-53c. Let's say it is 53c, will it be considered high temp? (I will overclock the CPU to 3.4G instead of 3.2 if possible, so i guess the temp will increase again)

Thanks in advance!
-CPU temps are only considered high after 70C
-Your Ram is fine
-Good job
-Don't mess with the voltage

enjoy your new PC.

·
The Master of Disguise
811 Posts
is the 40-50c idle or load. The load could be really high since Corei7 tend to have really high temps when HT is on. Can u tell us the temps when stressed to the max or at least close to it.

btw: Congrats on ur new comp!!

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the 40-50c idle or load. The load could be really high since Corei7 tend to have really high temps when HT is on. Can u tell us the temps when stressed to the max or at least close to it.

Yeah, it is idle.

I will try to check the system temp and cpu temp when playing Crysis with max setting tonight. Will reply the post after i got the result. (I have turned off the HT since a lot of people said it will increase the temp. Anyway, so far there is no difference before and after i turned off the HT, i think that is because i haven't got chance to use any application that making use of the HT yet.)

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
it shouldn't idle at more then 40c, check your application of your thermal grease. you might have used to much, or too little.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it shouldn't idle at more then 40c, check your application of your thermal grease. you might have used to much, or too little.
Hmmm, first when i brought the PC home and checked, the temp for the CPU was only 28-30C on idle, it was at night time.

After i flashed the bios to the lastest one (From version F4 to version F7), then the temp went up like 6-8C, and after i have overclocked it, it became 45C-47C idle at night and 48-51C in the afternoon. Not sure what is wrong if it shouldn't be more than 40C on idle...

I will test the temp when i stress the GPU and CPU with Crysis. Will be back.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I ran Crysis Warhead for 20 mins with max setting, but the CPU showing 30%+ being utilized only, so i am not sure howto stress test it :S

During this 20mins, the highest temp for the CPU was 56C. After i closed Crysis, it is becoming 49C now and probably will go down a bit more.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
I ran Crysis Warhead for 20 mins with max setting, but the CPU showing 30%+ being utilized only, so i am not sure howto stress test it :S

During this 20mins, the highest temp for the CPU was 56C. After i closed Crysis, it is becoming 49C now and probably will go down a bit more.
Seems fine.. a little warm but fine. Make sure you've got good intake and exhaust on your case. Make sure your CPU cooler is getting cool air from somewhere to pump out that heat.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems fine.. a little warm but fine. Make sure you've got good intake and exhaust on your case. Make sure your CPU cooler is getting cool air from somewhere to pump out that heat.
Yeah, all the coolings are fine i think. The case itself has 4 fans, 1 at the back, 1 on top, 1 on the left and 1 on the right. And beside the casing has a big fan blowing it.

·
The Master of Disguise
811 Posts
Use Orthos or Prime95 to stress it to the max, and report the temps u get back to us.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
If i set the frequency higher, anything i need to be careful of?
Don't go totally nuts with the voltage. Be reasonable. Actually, don't touch the voltage at all and see how high you can get. If you can't get higher then start increasing in 0.02v intervals, and don't go over 0.15v on anything.

There's a thing called RAM ratio... and that's what you should look into to get it higher.

That's a dangerous range!!! Consider stopping, or lowering your frequencies because those temperatures are just too high for comfort especially if the CPU is not doing anything.

Do NOT attempt to stress the CPU when you are in that range, because you are more than likely going to overheat something.

Nope. The gain is minimal in most cases. You probably won't even notice it and the extra heat is not something to play with.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
lol, as long as it stays under 85 when its under load its fine.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
lol, as long as it stays under 85 when its under load its fine.
50C at idle. :p Last time I tried stressing a slightly overclocked Penryn at 45C, it barely stayed under 80C in Prime95 and locked up eventually anyway. But to say that much, Prime95 is not even as intensive as Intel Linpack, which is what they use to test their CPU's absolute limit of stability, I believe. All things considered, I guess stressing your CPU that much is "reportedly" unrealistic, but you can't rule out the possibility that one day, the user would want to try encoding/converting a video using a multi-threaded app... and bam! :innocent:

Sincerely, though, the amount of bloat that today's applications boast might well make some of 'em even more intensive than the stress tests you have out there.

Anyway, long story short, quad-core at 50C+ idle and with HT enabled is bad news. ;p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.