Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Penadinho
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after 2 nights of research and trial/error I've finally gotten to boot dos from my pendrive! :D I just have some questions and was hoping you guys could help me.

1 - After booting the pendrive assigned letter is A:\ or C:\ (when set as floppy or HDD on my bios) but I can't access my real hard disk, is there any way to do it?

2 - I'm using an onboard Vinyl AC'97 sound card and, guess what, it doesn't work on DOS =/ Is there any way to make it work using some generic or modified driver? I have a spare pci card but I'd like to exaust the driver possibilities before installind it ;)

That's all I want to know, thanks in advance!
Omegainf

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
DOS will not read your ntfs partitions. Probably possible with some drivers though.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
i really dont know why on earth u wanna use dos?!?
What you wanna do with it?
OT: feliz ano novo mano!!

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
ahhh i know what you mean. but unfourtunately its very hard to run those older games properly on new pcs. the dos drivers are non-existent for such things as sound and graphics of newer cards. maybe if you fiddle with dosbox youll be able to get em running otherwise i suggest searching around for an older computer with like a tnt2 or something in it to try and play those older games.

·
Penadinho
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeap! The main point is for playing some old dos games, also I want to finally be able to get rid of the need of floppy disks 'cos I really hate them (damn, my rig doesn't even have a floppy drive!).
There's always the challenge :) Who doesn't like one?

Update - Got my hands on NTFSDOS, a utility that can read and mount an ntfs partition as a logical one and readable under dos :eek:k: Next step is installing that damned pci audio card so I can finally use sb sound on dos.

·
Penadinho
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already know dosbox, a really nice program but it doesn't run all games and most of them run at a somewhat slow speed =/

Got some progress: Dos boots, installed pci audio card and it's working under dos, mscdex (cd-rom support) works and most of the games I've tried worked like a charm! :) I've even installed QEMM87! LOL

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Try generic Soundblaster drivers as they're the most compatible. Take note that DOS drivers may have trouble with newer cards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.