Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I am just using the wrong search terms, but when I search for a bluetooth receiver for pc, I get all these results for bluetooth gps or for music players and not what I am looking for..

Can anyone help me find a decent inexpensive bluetooth receiver that I can use on my PC, so I can use my Wiimote with Dolphin?

I nearly fell over when I walked into Radioshack and Walmart, only to find out they carry no such thing. What complete tech morons/n00bs, you'd expect that an electronics store/shop such as Radioshack would have this in stock, Walmart is a bit more understandable to not carry this item even though their electronics section is quite large.:dead:

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize for being a bit oblivious but how would I know if it can support bluesoliel or not? Would that mean that any bluetooth dongle can support bluesoliel?

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A customer review says it comes with Ivt bluesoleil version 2.7, so I take it that it supports it then..

Would the Wiimote work like I was using it on the Wii or is there a difference because of using a dongle instead of a sensor bar?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,492 Posts
Alternatively, you can search for a dongle that has a Broadcom Bluetooth transceiver chip. All Broadcom chips will work with the Wiimote.

But getting one with BlueSoleil included will make the process of connecting the Wiimote to your PC infinitely easier.;)

A customer review says it comes with Ivt bluesoleil version 2.7, so I take it that it supports it then..

Would the Wiimote work like I was using it on the Wii or is there a difference because of using a dongle instead of a sensor bar?
The Wiimote will be functioning with motion sensors and buttons only. (you won't be able to use it as a pointer)

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
I got mine from a place called Micro Center, which I doubt that you have in your area. It is insanely small. I saw another one that is even smaller (oO), but I forget the name brand of it. It only cost me $20 bucks. I saw one at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago in the portable laptop accessories section, but if you have a Circuit City in your area, most of the good stuff is already gone. Try Best Buy to see if they have some.

Newegg.com - IOGEAR GBU421 USB 2.0 Bluetooth Micro Adapter - Network - Bluetooth

I sometimes have some trouble getting a good grip on that thing when I try to pull it out the side of my laptop, but I like the fact that it's non-obtrusive and doesn't get in the way. :p

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if there will be a way to get pointer functions working with a Wiimote sometime in the future on the PC?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,492 Posts
I wonder if there will be a way to get pointer functions working with a Wiimote sometime in the future on the PC?
Well, if you're willing, there is a very simple way to make your own IR sensor bar.

I haven't yet tried this myself. I tried lighting two candles and placing them 4 inches apart from each other to simulate to IR light feed that would normally be output by the sensor bar. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, it would be much easier if someone made an adapter that allowed you to hook up the original Wii sensor bar to your PC...

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,492 Posts
Haha, it would be much easier if someone made an adapter that allowed you to hook up the original Wii sensor bar to your PC...
Yeah, I suppose, but it would be more costly. Just purchase a spare Wii sensor bar and a USB cable. Cut the connector end off of the sensor bar and one end off the USB cable. Splice and tape (electrical tape) the positive sensor wire to the USB +5V wire, and the negative sensor wire to the USB GND(ground) wire.

Tada, all done.:p Still probably better to use a soldering iron and some heat-shrink tubing for that "semi-professional" look, but I was going for the quick and dirty (and cheap) method.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,492 Posts
Or if you like wireless stuff, buy a wireless Wii sensor bar. The only reason it's hooked up to the Wii is for power. The unit itself has no circuitry except 10 IR LEDs.
Precisely. The sensor bar doesn't actually sense anything. It just outputs infrared light via ten IR LEDs to provide a distance and aiming reference that the IR receiver in the Wiimote "sees" and sends this data to the Wii (or PC).

This is why the "candle trick" works. A burning candle wick releases a large amount of IR light which "fools" the Wiimote into thinking that its "seeing" the sensor bar.

BTW, thanks for pointing out the wireless option DAX. I had completely forgotten that a wireless version was made by third-party companies. :thumb:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,492 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts