Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Games need BLUE SKIES! Games need BRIGHT YELLOW SUNS! Games need RED AND BLUE THINGS in them! We want to play in a HAPPY PRETEND LAND, not a **** version of an American slum full of mixed-race gangsters wearing licensed sportswear!"

Whatever you say ...

But seriously, it seems the typical "fun" game of the 80's and 90's are long past, and I for one really miss them. All these games these days are either dark and too bad ass for their own good or just plain retarded.

We want out blue skies back damnitt!

Linkage

Discuss :D

·
band
5,270 Posts
razor blade i totally agree.

/me goes cries in a corner because i is too old....

·
...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
yeah, and at sunset it can be pink or orange, green during tornado time, black at night and gray on a crappy day. but i guess in happy pretend land (which is somewhere i wouldn't want my games set) blue would be the way to go. oO

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Super Mario Sunshine, not surprisingly, has plenty of blue skies and, yes, sunshine. As for the decline of "happy-worlds" I don't think it's about games being more mature and edgier these days. I think it's just about the fact that most games are about a hero overcoming an evil... as such, you're often in an evil-infested world where it's eternal night, or cloudy or whatever.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno, personally the site is a little overkill lol, but honestly I seem to enjoy games that have a little more of a brighter side to them. Ya good vs evil and al that crap does apply, but I can't even stand to play those matrix games because they are just so dead looking.

Ya that shot was probably at dusk, but I didn't make the site :p

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
What about Windwaker? Spacecowboy? World of Warcraft? Final Fantasies? Breath of Fire? America's Army? Half-Life 2? Vice City?

There's plenty a blue sky.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There's plenty of Blue Skies in games when necessary. If its day time and you're not in a smog infested city, it's usually blue, unless its overcast...but then the game takes note of that. If its dawn or dusk the sky reflects that. Useless. Site.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Aaah come on, dark skies are the best! Don't you remember world 6 from the original mario :p

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Gotta love Shenmue or F255's sunset ;)

But I think you're right, DC doesn't have many of those games in which you're walking around in dark cities fighting gangs of thugs. I bet most gamers might even consider it a kiddy console like N64 and Gamecube.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
blue skies = kiddie?
That's a new one ;) ..I'll try to remember it whenever it's sunny outside (ho hum, another kiddie day)

Daytona USA 2001, Crazy Taxi 1/2, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Jet Set Radio, F355 Challenge, just to name some famous ones ...they all use lots of blue skies and bright colors.
Are blue colors and bright skies automatically "kiddie" then? I don't really see it; I just think it's good use of colours... I sometimes think the PS2 has a limited colour palette ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shadow of the Colossus is a great looking game but the same atmosphere all the time just seems boring. Believe me, I wouldn't want all my games to be like Mario 64 or anything, but even though as I have said the site is a little much, it seems as if the trend right now of bland unsaturated games.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Samor said:
blue skies = kiddie?
That's a new one ;) ..I'll try to remember it whenever it's sunny outside (ho hum, another kiddie day)

Daytona USA 2001, Crazy Taxi 1/2, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Jet Set Radio, F355 Challenge, just to name some famous ones ...they all use lots of blue skies and bright colors.
Are blue colors and bright skies automatically "kiddie" then? I don't really see it; I just think it's good use of colours... I sometimes think the PS2 has a limited colour palette ;)

I didn't say it's kiddie by definition, I said it might make certain games look less like it's suitable for adults and more aimed towards kids. A game in a bright and colourful world immediately creates a different image than a game in a dark and gloomy world. Just compare something like Rayman 2 with Evil Twin.

Do I need to explain you everything word by word? :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.