Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Bloom" your Open GL Games (ATi Radeon Cards only) :D

K, I've read this thread on rage3d.com and try it out.

http://www.beyond3d.com/downloads/smartshader/

get pssControl2.zip entries.zip AND psseffects.zip

extract psscontrol2.zip to any folder

extract the "all" folder from entries.zip to the same folder
extract psseffects.zip to the same folder
open pssControl2.exe and browse the "all" folder for desired effect
all you have to do is open one of the .pss files and its automatically turned on
to turn off smartshader just hit the fat button that says it.

HDRish is the one your looking for. it was made by NitroGL, its alittle bit over done though.
Some of the scenes are shiny bright but some scenes work pretty nice with this HDRish effect.

Take a look.

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two more from SWKotOR.

You can tone down the brightness of the bloom a bit by editing the HDRish.pss file and change line 207 from:

ADD result.color, back, blur;
to:
MAD result.color, blur, 0.75, back;

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think any Open GL game would work with this.

I don't think this is a cheating tool, it just creates the bloom effect that many new games uses right now (eg, Prince of Persia, Thief 3, Deus Ex, etc)

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
not cheating or anything, if u use it and play a game with it, u will notice how nice does it look :)

·
band
4,912 Posts
whoa...thats pretty darn cool. but wuts the performance hit on this thing?

EDIT: nvm i just tried it on COD. there IS a performance hit, but its one where i can still play with 4x AA and 8x AF at 1024. I have one thing to add tho...that is this kinda thing shud be automatically detected as a cheat in certain games, esp COD. this is because there are certain places on some maps that are ment to be dark. using this thing, these places are effectively rendered completely unsafe to hide in. in other words, i think it gives an unfair advantage to those who can use this feature.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Heh, Final Fantasy 9 looks kinda like Guild Wars in the second shot :p I think there's too much bloom effect going on in games. Kinda sick of it really. But neat tip nevertheless. :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Yeah you are right, it does look like a guildwars effect :p Too bright for my tastes :eyemove:

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I get pretty dizzy fast when using "ghost" with any fps :D

Well anyone is using it for cheating than shame on them :p

Just think it's giving a nice effect for some of the old games I'm playing.

If anyone doesn't know these entries are for the SMARTSHADER competition that ATi /Beyond3d/Driver Heaven held a few months back, forgot who's the winner tho.

·
band
4,912 Posts
hey..its not like i WANTED to cheat... i mean..i didnt have that intention to begin with. but when ur scores suddenly soar..its hard to stop >.<

but neway. isnt there a way to make these work with D3D?

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately no, it works only on OGL.

If ATi ever released the psscontrol that's for D3D perhaps it will work.

·
band
4,912 Posts
dammit...if only Ati actually incorporated this in OGL and D3D form in their control panel, they'd finally have something to be proud of over nvidia's driver.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Doesn't work here with Cat 4.12.. using this in conjunction with anything OpenGL causes my whole computer to.. crash.

:(

·
band
4,912 Posts
o.o

thats weird. works fine on here with the cat 4.12s. are your 3d settings at default? (shudnt matter but thats a good place to start)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Just realized that my card was hitting 90C under load.. the block for the heatpipe came kinda loose, so it was like an inch from the core. I'm suprised it didn't die, and I'm suprised I didn't notice earlier.

All is well now, works fine and looks great. I love the bloom effect, although it is kinda overused. :p

btw D.D. - what ATi CP do you use? I tried to install the drivers with the regular control panel and not CCC (ugh I hate that POS) and I don't get any tabs in advanced video properties, except for RadLinker. :???:

edit: fixed it.. manually installed the CP, working now. :) Wonder what happened to my overdrive tab though.

·
band
4,912 Posts
lol. glad u fixed it man. shoot that stuff was close >.<. i use the CP and not CCC (that thing is really really cheesy imo)

btw, im not sure bout that overdrive thing since i dont have an XT card. tho from the rage3d forums, i hear it does some pretty weird appearing / disappearing acts sometimes :D

PS: i dont think i can stop cheating in COD !! HELP!!! its so fun to finally get back at the little camping [email protected] that think no one can see them !!

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah you'll get bored with it in a couple of days anyway :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts