Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Bleem requires Windows 95/98/ME to run and that XP compatibility mode doesn't work...nor is there an XP patch for Bleem since it's been dead for almost 9 years now.

But has anyone been able to get Bleem (the full version) to run on a virtual machine running Windows 98 SE? Using Virtual PC 2007, Bleem just hangs on startup. And using VMWare Server, Bleem just crashes with an "Illegal Operation Has Been Performed" message.

However the Bleem demo version runs fine on both virtual machines, but the demo is useless since it doesn't support memory cards or have sound. And dual-booting is not an option for me since my hardware doesn't have drivers that support anything below Windows 2000.

Thanks in advance (and please be kind enough to respond with something other than "why are <expletive> you still using Bleem?").

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Bleem is old, and sucks kthnx, use a newer better emulator like epsxe or psx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes...Bleem sucks because it plays every PSX game I own with a flawless framerate and didn't require me to pay $150 (at the time) for a new console nor illegally obtain a copyrighted BIOS. Such worthless software...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Your bull****ting me, because i know exactly the capabilities of bleem, and that it had issues with 70% of the games for the PSX, and was pathetic in performance.

It isn't even nearly as optimised as the newer emulators, and can't even launch Protected pal games.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol...I **** you not. Every game I own works fine with minor graphics glitches like invisible menus or minor sound twitches. All were run on a P3 700MHz with 256MB RAM...(and a P2 266Mhz with 128MB RAM before that). Crash Bandicoot 1,2, & 3...Crash Bash...Jet Moto 3...all were very much playable. And I heard FF9 works fine too but I only recently bought it and haven't yet tried it on bleem. I had Spyro 1,2, & 3, Twisted Metal 2, FF7 and FF8 which all worked great too but I sold them. As for PAL games, I don't see myself leaving the US anytime soon.

But yeah the only reason I was hopeful for bleem to work on a VM running 98SE is cuz its pretty retarded to switch emulators when all my games are working just fine....regardless of how old bleem is. But obviously I have no choice if bleem wont work in XP or in a VM running Windows 9x.

I can't use epsxe or pSX since they require a PS BIOS dump and I would have to own a PS to legally use it. I'm currently trying both PCSX and AdriPSX ILE. PCSX runs only 2 of my 6 games (3 if you include FF9 and its Dali FMV crashing issue) and the memory card doesnt work in Crash 1. AdriPSX ILE runs 4 of my 6 games (havent tried FF9 yet) but has no memory card support. So that's why I'm hoping someone figured out how to get bleem working on a VM....otherwise I wouldn't really care and just sell the damn thing on ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
29 Posts
Excuse me by post past, I really did not know that was a Emurayden Hack.

·
band
4,912 Posts
im entertained by the notion of someone running bleem. maybe i should try to do so on a virtual machine on osx just to relive the days :D

man it was such an exciting time...Psxemu, the days of bleem, VGS.... Where did my youth go.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I remember seeing a Bleem box in a local game store, I wish I had bought it back then for nostalgia's sake. Look where I ended up now, several years later. Sitting here with hand signed Dreamcast copies :D The emulation scene rules, and Bleem is definitely a great project, kudos to Randy. I wonder what he's up to now, he was making cellphone games last time we had contact.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,648 Posts
I remember seeing a Bleem box in a local game store, I wish I had bought it back then for nostalgia's sake. Look where I ended up now, several years later. Sitting here with hand signed Dreamcast copies :D The emulation scene rules, and Bleem is definitely a great project, kudos to Randy. I wonder what he's up to now, he was making cellphone games last time we had contact.
other than that you'd have the disc to show off with, there's not much reason for wanting a bleem! pc these days. I liked it at the time, but it's far surpassed by current emulators; same goes for vgs.
It's different with the bleemcast versions, both because of the quality and the platform.

And uhm, thanks for the reminder - I recently got PS1 MGS and I found MGS bleemcast cheap on ebay just now :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts