Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i load the ISO to disk one - goes through the piracy + squaresoft + sony screens - then the start screen with final fantasy written - and then can get to the screen where it says new game or continue - i click new game and then it just goes blank

i have a nvidia geforce4 Mx4000 with openGL2 plugin recommended bios - intel celeron 2.8ghz processor and windows xp.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
PAL version eh?

i'd say use OGL 1.76 instead. make sure you're using ePSXe 1.5.2, not 1.6.0. also, update your graphics card drivers (dont use the ones that came off the CD with the card for example).

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
and please don't double post, just edit your previous thread.

note to everyone else: yes it's double not triple post if you try to correct me i'll sodomize you ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Go find KProbe2 or Nero CD-DVD Speed. With one or the other of these free apps (they don't both work on all the same drives) you can scan your CDs and find out what the correctible error rates look like. More info at cdfreaks.com.

Here are some simple tests to see if something obvious is wrong with your CD:

- Deep scratches on the underside?
- Scratches on the label side?
- If you hold the disk up to a strong light, underside towards you, do you see light shining through what appear to be pinholes or scratches?
- If you look at the underside in a well-lit room, do you see a circular discoloration looking something like a coffee ring?
- Is the disk warped at all?
- If you look at it edge-on, does it look like the layers are separating?

All of the above are indications of a fatal scratch or some variety of disk rot.

If your disks really are hosed - won't even play in your PS1 or PS2 - you can get a brand-new copy of FFVII at Walmart for $15US (or at walmart.com if your local store doesn't have any). If those are unavailable to you because you're in the UK or on the continent, you can have it from amazon.co.uk, though they're on the expensive side (almost twice as much).

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dbhankins said:
Go find KProbe2 or Nero CD-DVD Speed. With one or the other of these free apps (they don't both work on all the same drives) you can scan your CDs and find out what the correctible error rates look like. More info at cdfreaks.com.

Here are some simple tests to see if something obvious is wrong with your CD:

- Deep scratches on the underside?
- Scratches on the label side?
- If you hold the disk up to a strong light, underside towards you, do you see light shining through what appear to be pinholes or scratches?
- If you look at the underside in a well-lit room, do you see a circular discoloration looking something like a coffee ring?
- Is the disk warped at all?
- If you look at it edge-on, does it look like the layers are separating?

All of the above are indications of a fatal scratch or some variety of disk rot.

If your disks really are hosed - won't even play in your PS1 or PS2 - you can get a brand-new copy of FFVII at Walmart for $15US (or at walmart.com if your local store doesn't have any). If those are unavailable to you because you're in the UK or on the continent, you can have it from amazon.co.uk, though they're on the expensive side (almost twice as much).

Dan
thanks - i do get a few read errors but the disk does not look bad - reason i want it to work so bad is my PS2 recently was broken during a house move and as such i have a few games that i cant play unless i emulate - the others all work fine but unfortunatly this doesnt, being in australia getting another copy will be tricky from a store - but im willing to pay amazon as its one of my fav games, just sucks is all :p

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you're getting actual disk read errors from a scanning tool (as opposed to C1/C2 errors which are correctable), your disk may well be done for. Or you may have a marginal CDROM drive. Try scanning some other CDs you know are good.

Also, if its not a really hard read error, you may be able to get past it. Make an ISO of the disk with Alcohol 120%, set it to not ignore disk read errors, but also set the retries as high as they'll go. It'll slow the disk down to try to re-read bad blocks and you may be able to get a good read. I had marginal disks for Dino Crisis (somebody actually put a price sticker on the label side of the disk!) and Warhawk, but Alcohol was able to get me good ISOs with those settings.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dbhankins said:
If you're getting actual disk read errors from a scanning tool (as opposed to C1/C2 errors which are correctable), your disk may well be done for. Or you may have a marginal CDROM drive. Try scanning some other CDs you know are good.

Also, if its not a really hard read error, you may be able to get past it. Make an ISO of the disk with Alcohol 120%, set it to not ignore disk read errors, but also set the retries as high as they'll go. It'll slow the disk down to try to re-read bad blocks and you may be able to get a good read. I had marginal disks for Dino Crisis (somebody actually put a price sticker on the label side of the disk!) and Warhawk, but Alcohol was able to get me good ISOs with those settings.

Dan
thanks once again for advice - i just piad for a new copy from amazon though so ill wait till that comes in. Thanks all for help - this can be closed now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.