Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was trying to repair a laptop at school (Some HP Laptop, can't recall the exact model off the top of my head) today that was going to a blank screen after the BIOS showed, but I can't seem to figure out what is causing it.

The first thing I thought of is that someone hit one of those Fn keys that can turn the screen off, and that wasn't it.

The second thing I thought of was that there was an issue with Window XP's drivers, so I hit F8 when the BIOS screen came up and oddly enough, the boot menu did show up, so I selected safe mode..... blank screen.

Finally I thought that maybe Windows was completely screwed so I tried popping a XP CD in there, but once I hit a key at the "Hit any key to boot from cd' screen, I got... yeah blank screen.

I also tried hooking it up to an external monitor which also got a blank screen.

Any thoughts on anything else I could check?

Edit-
Gr.. wrong section... could someone move this to the hardware section please?

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Have you tried the hard reset? at least a lot of laptops i worked on have it, like clearing the cmos, take out the battery and/or power plug, and hold the power button 30 seconds. For some reason that fixes a lot of issues:lol:

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So removing the battery, unplugging the laptop and holding the power button resets the CMOS in laptops? I've always wondered since the batteries in laptops are generally soldered on.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
moving to hardware disc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.