Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all who don't know this, yet (music addicts should already do): The Black Mages is a prog rock band led and founded (?) by Nobuo Uematsu who can be blamed for making the amazing soundtracks in the Final Fantasy series. This very band rearranges tunes from Final Fantasy games to play them in their own special way which can already be heard in their first album "Black Mages".

If you head to this site, you'll find sneak previews of two songs being found in the next album "Black Mages 2".

The first one is a variation of "In Zanarkand", the piano tune that is used in Final Fantasy X: It is sung (by a singer who reminds me a bit of Joachim Cans from Hammerfall).

The second one is a variation of "The Man With The Machine Gun", the battle theme that was heard when fighting as Laguna in Final Fantasy VIII.

Enjoy.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
cool but this tread dont belong in this section

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops... Sorry about this accident. Would someone please move this into the Game Discussions Forum? :emb:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Wow, this is great. I loved the first album, and the music in this one seems good so far.

I just hope they don't go to far with the vocal tracks :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
THIS ROCKS

:guitar:

Really, this is great! too bad it's all in Jap... I wonder if it will be available in Europe...

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cid Highwind said:
THIS ROCKS

:guitar:

Really, this is great! too bad it's all in Jap... I wonder if it will be available in Europe...
Ebay, perhaps. Lik-Sang might ship it, too.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I already checked ebay....
They didn't have it atm.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess that this caused by the fact that the album isn't out, yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
F-3582 said:
I guess that this caused by the fact that the album isn't out, yet.
:lol:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Well I've been looking for the first album as well, I should've mentioned that, hahaha!

I've listened to a few songs from the first album and it is great as well! ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
I have the first album, kicks major ass, but gotta say the first preview song here, with lyrics, was kinda giving me a bad feeling, didn't sound all that great.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ditto. I hope that this is just an exception.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
As others have mentioned, I thought the track selection on the demo was somewhat... dubious. I mean, Black Mages was all about recreating the BATTLE music of the FF series in prog rock fashion. I definitely wasn't feeling the To Zanarkand rearrangement... in fact, I like the original solo piano version from FFX much better.

Anyway, I also hope that this track is the exception... in both style of selection, and in vocals... yeah, I don't like vocals that much - I prefer instrumental tracks. Oh yeah, and this time there better be some FF4 boss music on there!

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm... The only song I could imagine would be the Boss battle theme (the melody played by a solo guitar), but IMhO that soundtrack has too much "orchestra" to be arranged for a rock band... maybe they'll get a little support - the NHK Symphony Orchestra Tokyo would be cool :D

I hope that they will include some tracks from Final Fantasy IX which Black Mages I was appearently lacking of.

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Actually , I have the first one . Seymor battle was the best of their work . Btw , they did a good job reviving some not so awesome themes (like the ff6 battle one) .
Jenova , ff7's ff6's and ff8's boss battles were great as well .

For laguna's battle , the best remix was made by Nobuo but not through black mages . It was in that album with shiro hama (was that his name ? )

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cloudvii said:
Actually , I have the first one . Seymor battle was the best of their work .
I didn't notice much difference from the OST (except for the guitar :D ). May I add that the FFX OST (and FFX-2 even more) were technically outstanding? Considering that they are _just_ _simple_ _MIDI_...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts