Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Birth as art A woman has given birth as part of an exhibition in a German art gallery in front of dozens of spectators.

Ramune Gele, 27, gave birth to her first child, a healthy baby girl named Audra, in the DNA art gallery in the capital Berlin.

The father, 29-year-old musician Winfried Witt, who said before the birth "it's a gift to humanity, a once in a lifetime thing", called the experience "an existential work of art".

Johann Novak, manager of the gallery, said the couple wanted to challenge conventional norms.

"It's a bit of test to see if society can cope," he said.

Some 30 members of the public were contacted when Gele went into labour.

But the "live art exhibition" was heavily criticised by some including doctors and religious leaders.

"A birth is an intimate act, and should remain that way," said Stefan Foerner, 40, spokesman for the Church in Berlin.
Anything goes for art I guess

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I'm NOT religious or anything, but I find this disgusting... It just goes to show how much art has decayed as of late. These post-modernist types do something just for the sake of shocking others, and call it "art".

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Whats with all the flooding of stupid news?

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Boltzmann said:
I'm religious....
Why, did someone spray you with a few holy water bottles and dried you off on a cross? :evil:
yes, I know it's a typo...go edit it quick...:p

PS: Oh and I do agree that "art" is degrading. I bet a garbish can could be considered as an art these days :rolleyes:

Yours,
-Elly

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
エッリー said:
Why, did someone spray you with a few holy water bottles and dried you off on a cross? :evil:
yes, I know it's a typo...go edit it quick...:p
Damn it, you caught me red handed :p

エッリー said:
PS: Oh and I do agree that "art" is degrading. I bet a garbish can could be considered as an art these days :rolleyes:
Could your agreement with my opinion be originated in my typo? :p

Anyway, seeing abstract paintings these days, I'd say that garbage IS being considered as art.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
Yeah, it seems when poeple don't work and just through **** together(or kill themself) they get all the credit in the world, but when someone works their hardest and gain a form of perfection , it's trashed, somehow flaws are found in it.

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Don't you think it's rather elitist of yourselves to judge another's form of expression? Oh wait, that's all art is. Nevermind.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
what!!! no pictures? :evil:

hey, as long as other people like it and percieve it as art, let them be. one cannot impose art on others, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Wait, we can have paintings of a woman giving birth, carvings, even large intimate sketchs, yet we can't actually physically show it. Since when has humanity been so afraid of it's own functions and body, whilst I consider birth is an intimate moment, and very special I don't condem this.

Creation is indeed 'art', now wether this should be considered 'art' is anouther matter, creation / nature is art, but displaying it like this I dunno, to me watching my GF giving birth would be artistic and wonderfull, but perhaps it's art only a couple should share.

But I do admire the attempt to make people think, and the bravery behind displaying such an invocative image.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
well all things are art to someone, but not everyone. in public places only art that can be enjoyed by the majority of people should be showed. like im sure a devil worshipper would find a picture of ruthless killings with blood guts and all sorts of that stuff art... but you wouldnt show that in a gallery would you? maybe im wrong but i wouldnt want kids seeing that kinda stuff... you know?

·
Moo.
455 Posts
Postmodernism is all about showing what people don't want to see coolsville.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am generally speaking against censorship, so I don't think there's anything wrong with giving birth being put on public display. And artistically speaking, I think the process of giving birth comes a lot closer to qualifying as art than most abstract stuff. But based on the husbands statement it seems this is being done more for shock value than anything else, and IMO that is not the proper context for showing this kind of thing. There are too few beutiful things in this world that people haven't found some way to cheapen...

·
The ChinaDude!!!
3,930 Posts
Art... i guess having a birth on photo(or anything else) could be considered art. It does give a person a feeling. be it good or bad.

I think this is okay. If someone thinks this is gross: don't have kids. :evil:
What i don't consider art, is something that has no apperent thought, almost no work done to actually make it, and a name that should signify it's artistical value.

/me remembers some sort of research.
Scientists let a monkey draw with paint. After that they showed it at an art-exhibition. People were really impressed. They weren't after they were told it was done by a monkey :D

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Boltzmann said:
Damn it, you caught me red handed :p
Ooh! is that a "NOT" I see in your post? It's way too small. It needs to be bigger! bigger!! :p:lol:

Boltzmann said:
Could your agreement with my opinion be originated in my typo? :p
Unless you mean that wasnt a typo.... :p

Boltzmann said:
Anyway, seeing abstract paintings these days, I'd say that garbage IS being considered as art.
Sad but true. Throwing buckets of paint together is considered as art too. Someone bring the old artists back >_>;

Yours,
-Elly

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Talbain said:
Postmodernism is all about showing what people don't want to see coolsville.
True enough. But then is it really art to the people who don't wana see it... or is it just art to the people who created it? When you display art in a public forum I believe an amount of modesty should go with it. As to my example, you wouldn't show a brutal killing of say an enemy prisioner of war as art in today's society would you. (And yes i know they used to do it all the time, but i think that was more for the fear factor.)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
エッリー said:
Sad but true. Throwing buckets of paint together is considered as art too. Someone bring the old artists back >_>;
I couldn't agree more.

BTW, as a disclaimer, I'm agaist all forms of censorship, so I don't think that censorship is appropriate.

But to consider a woman giving birth as 'art' is too much for me. There's nothing artistic about it. There's no effort on the part of the artist to actually create anything good. Next thing we know this couple will make a presentation "A Woman Using a Bathroom: A View from the Inside" and call it an art form (it's a natural process too, you know).

When people start doing "art" just for the sake of shocking others, I think that something has gone wrong somewhere.

If an artist produces something innovative that happen to shock people, then it's ok, but doing it just for the sake of shocking? No, I won't pay to see something like this...

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
birth as art??? well it does takes alot of pain and effort to complete :D

But just a plain old birth??? not art. Maybe if she is giving birth upside down and being whipped and chained up, then maybe that could be art for the mentally disturbed.

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
Kirby said:
Maybe if she is giving birth upside down and being whipped and chained up, then maybe that could be art for the mentally disturbed.
i call it "a view from hell" :???:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
hellmasterx said:
i call it "a view from hell" :???:
not all people have the same views as you (but as in this example, everyone should) Some people actually enjoy looking at this ****. But the planners picked a bad location.....should of gave birth in a bizzaro museum somewhere, right next to the female hermaphrodite and peanut butter penis sculptures oO

1 - 20 of 24 Posts