Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Did you want comments? If not, disregard anything below. :p




From a designer's point of view, I like. It's fast. The design is clean, uncluttered. The navigation is clear. Clicking game screenshots and photo's of your room might not be as obvious to less experienced users. I would have done 1 consistent style for those pictures, as well as something different for the colors of those blocks. The design is sufficient for its purposes, by far, as are the menu and submenu. In fact, there's plenty of room to change the menu's if there ever need be.

My subjective view on the Links page is that I expect to see textual names in addition to pictures, possibly even IN the pictures.

The Profil page's Overview and PC parts lack some sort of a defined canvas that fits with the rest, IMHO. Just so their set places on the page look distinguishable. It kinda looks like they're just floating in there, looking for a place to fit in. It sort of seems unnatural to me.

Overall, I think it's very good. Too bad I suck at giving ratings, huh? :D How many designs did you create before this particular one?
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gaurav said:
Did you want comments? If not, disregard anything below. :p
Thats why I posted it up here, every comment is appreciated. ;)

Gaurav said:
From a designer's point of view, I like. It's fast. The design is clean, uncluttered. The navigation is clear.
Yeah, a overdone navigation would distract the userers view from the important things (content).

Gaurav said:
Clicking game screenshots and photo's of your room might not be as obvious to less experienced users. I would have done 1 consistent style for those pictures, as well as something different for the colors of those blocks.
IMO photos are not important and thus can be displayed without a preview, the connection to the screenshot ones is the size, the only difference is the color (mostly skin) to indicate a personal thouch. The screenshot ones indeed should change their color on rollover, but they do not work in GoLive! 6.0 yet, need to fix that manually. :rolleyes:

Gaurav said:
The design is sufficient for its purposes, by far, as are the menu and submenu. In fact, there's plenty of room to change the menu's if there ever need be.
I can gladly say that I can't think of any element of the site which doesn't fulfill a certain purpose. Something I always criticize then it comes to webdesign. Because of the transparent .pngs, theres even the possibility to change the entire background image just by exchanging "background.jpg". Something I figured to be handy for example to display a certain mood or for a announcement purpose (new artworks shown tranperent in the background).

Gaurav said:
My subjective view on the Links page is that I expect to see textual names in addition to pictures, possibly even IN the pictures.
Thats excatly why I only showed the titel of the links with Alt messages. :) The purpose of this is to arouse the viewsers curiosity, I wanted them to follow as most links as possible.

Gaurav said:
The Profil page's Overview and PC parts lack some sort of a defined canvas that fits with the rest, IMHO. Just so their set places on the page look distinguishable. It kinda looks like they're just floating in there, looking for a place to fit in. It sort of seems unnatural to me.
Yeah, I know ;) But more lines would distract the user from the content IMO. Also, the (to be artistic looking) image of myself would appear sort of caged, something I don't want to express. I may use a light color difference in the background for Overview and PC. Need to think about that further.

Gaurav said:
Overall, I think it's very good. Too bad I suck at giving ratings, huh? :D How many designs did you create before this particular one?
Nah, you don't suck at ratings, not at all. I found it to be very good, thx for the effort. ;-) I made one "slightly" other design for the a school project, I may post it up later.

BTW: What browser do you use? I'm guessing Firefox, could you open the page with IE? GoLive! gave me some bad .pngs there.
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed the bug: rollovers are working now. ;)

Heres the first design, quite bad, I admit. I originally wanted the site to be separated in three frames horizontally, but that would cause more problems than advantages.
 

·
Just visiting ^_^
Joined
·
8,299 Posts
great! thats a nice site... I like it clean and simple... minimalism applied :)

just a few suggestion...

in your profile page, the ones in the lower left where you ahve a link to the photos like the room and your photo, why don't you create a table near that where you can target that table as a small thumbnail to that image so the ones browsing would already have an idea what that photo is about than clicking them individually...

the link page is really cute... the graphics are good and you put them into categories based on the sections of your profile page but I think some might get lost if they are not aware of the meaning of the image category... a few labelling would be much better...
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quatro said:
in your profile page, the ones in the lower left where you ahve a link to the photos like the room and your photo, why don't you create a table near that where you can target that table as a small thumbnail to that image so the ones browsing would already have an idea what that photo is about than clicking them individually...
Hmm, sounds very interesting, although, maybe its just me but I don't find the photos so important. Also, I tried to suprise the viewer at some point and since I didn't used this kind of navigation at the rest of the site, it would look kinda out of place. But if I find another use for the tablets, I might implement them there. Thx for the suggestion. :)

Quatro said:
the link page is really cute... the graphics are good and you put them into categories based on the sections of your profile page but I think some might get lost if they are not aware of the meaning of the image category... a few labelling would be much better...
Hmm, guess you're right, the single cut-outs of the linked pages are confusing enough, also because of the portfolio symbol some may could think that I designed the linked pages, although I only attended the schools there ;) Thx again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
are your sure this grey boxes looks good? o_O'
that isn't characteristical for you >.>'

or is it only my browser, what show it wrong? <__<



edit: ah okay ... it looks so bad -.-''' poor IE user...*attach two new*
( i cant ask why, jovita has berufsschule <___<)
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meh, I don't know why, but IE displays all transparent .pngs like that. Firefox has no problems with'em tho. ATM I can't think of any solution (frag mal Jovita ;) ). Thx for pointing that out pop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
she saids some browsers are not able to show pngs <.<
you have to save in gif ( i think the "verlauf" will dissapear ;_; ) or jpeg and choose the same background color like the color of the background of your site ^^''
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did that from the beginning, but I knew that I woudn't be able to change either the background image nor important elements without spending alot of time resaving (because of the shadow) so I switched to .pngs. I'll simply place a "Get Firefox" button at the bottom. ;) Say thx for the help anyway pop. :)
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
Nice site, I love such clean layouts. It's very easy to the eye. And very fast. Sites like these beat those flash horrors any day :thumb:
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thx for the comments pals, I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll get the animation section to work soon, so does someone know a good place to host big files (like little movies) for free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Tori-Yama said:
Because of the transparent .pngs, theres even the possibility to change the entire background image just by exchanging "background.jpg". Something I figured to be handy for example to display a certain mood or for a announcement purpose (new artworks shown tranperent in the background).
Transparent PNG's eh? I prefer GIF myself because of the majority of IE users out there, but as you've already stated, you have your reasons.

Tori-Yama said:
Thats excatly why I only showed the titel of the links with Alt messages. :) The purpose of this is to arouse the viewsers curiosity, I wanted them to follow as most links as possible.
Damn you for making me waste those precious seconds for rolling over them to see where those links were headed. :D Well, either way works. :) And I second Quatro's comment on the Link page.

Tori-Yama said:
Yeah, I know ;) But more lines would distract the user from the content IMO. Also, the (to be artistic looking) image of myself would appear sort of caged, something I don't want to express. I may use a light color difference in the background for Overview and PC. Need to think about that further.
Colors could work. Otherwise you could try and do something with those small rectangles, connecting them to somewhere, somehow. I would say: experiment, but you probably already know that. :p

Tori-Yama said:
Nah, you don't suck at ratings, not at all. I found it to be very good, thx for the effort. ;-)
Well, I was referring to grading it with a number, from 1 to 10. :) I don't do that, because I suck at it: I often end up being too subjective.

Tori-Yama said:
BTW: What browser do you use? I'm guessing Firefox, could you open the page with IE? GoLive! gave me some bad .pngs there.
I had little time, so I only looked at it with Firefox yes. In IE, it looks like on the attached screens from Popuri, but that's obvious.

Tori-Yama said:
Heres the first design, quite bad, I admit.
Well.. I suppose this would have worked too, but the current design is much better yes. :p
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top