Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to emulation in general but I am new to psx emulation. Anyways, I just downloaded ePSXe v. 1.2.0. I tried to configure it up so I could play some games and everything was fine until I had to give a *.bin file for the "bios configuration." I tried to find info all over the net but I just can't find anything to do with *.bin's and *.iso's. I noticed that it is illegal to give them away or link to a site that has them so I'm not going to ask that. What I am going to ask is 1)What exactly are they? 2)Do I have to "write" my own? 3)Why are they neccessary? and 4)Why can't I find any information on them ANYWHERE? Please fill me in A.S.A.P. I really want to play PSX games on my computer as quickly as I can. Thanx.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
thank you for checking the rules prior to posting.
1) the bios is the binary dumped from the bios chip within a psx. it serves the same job as a cpu bios, which is just basic input/output commands.
2) no you dont hafta write your own. the only legal way to get one is to use a gameshark pro and dump the image from your playstation to your computer.
3) they are necessary for most emulators because they dont emulate the basic input/output coding. some of them have reverse engineered the bios and thus do not require a bios.
4) the reason its so tough to find is because its illegal to distribute or even own if you do not have the original hardware, just like roms. so sites with the bioses tend to close pretty quickly.

try google. if that doesnt work, try it again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts