Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is absolutely not a fraud or a lie.I got a mail in which it was informed that there is a Virus that is going to activated on June 1.

How this Virus operates
----------------------------------
This virus keeps a file in your windows directory which contains a vrius.This is a application(exe)file which will be executed on June 1.

How to Remove it
---------------------------
Simply go to serch files and folder type sulfnbk.exe and press search.If this file appears then delete it and donot exetcute it.Simply select and press del.

How come I know that
----------------------------------
I got a mail from mcafee..........:D :D :D

Why should U trust me
---------------------------------
Donot trust me if u donot want to.

What if it is fake
-------------------------
I don't care

Why I am telling U
---------------------------
Just to help U.......Because U are my friends.

Ali
M.L.A

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Thank god................I love you liaqatali
I serch it in my windows dirrectory and I FOUND IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure I delete it already I don't know how it come???
But anyway I thank you so much..................

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hoax

taken from http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html :

SULFNBK.EXE Warning
Reported on: April 17, 2001
Last Updated on: May 15, 2001 at 05:28:25 PM PDT

The following hoax email has been reported in Brazil. The original email is in Portuguese; it is followed by an English translation.

CAUTION: This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files.

Original Portuguese version:

Vocês acreditam que uma amiga da lista enviou um alerta e os procedimentos que deveriam ser tomados para a possível detecção do maledeto SULFNBK.EXE. e eu fui conferir só por desencargo de consciência. Pois é...O bichinho tava lá, escondidinho até da McAfee e do Norton, talvez esperando algum gatilho prá começar a trabalhar, né?
Aí vão, moçada, as orientações que eu segui à risca e que me levaram ao tal coisinha ruím:

1 - Iniciar/Localizar Pastas. Digite o nome do "mardito": SULFNBK.EXE
2 - Se for encontrado, abra o Windows Explorer, vá até a pasta onde ele se encontra alojado e delete-o de lá ou do próprio ambiente do Localizar; - Não click com o botão esquerdo sobre ele e não abra o arquivo nem em caso de incêndio, ok?
3 - Apenas delete o bichinho.
4 - O meu estava em Windows/Command.
5 - O vírus da pessoa que passou o aviso estava em Windows/Config.

Sim, o Norton e nem o McAfee não detectou.
Não sabemos se ele faz algum estrago na máquina, mas acho que ninguém aqui vai querer testar para saber, né?
Gente, sem brincadeiras, já tirei o meu daqui....
E nem imaginava que tivesse hóspedes no PC.
Minha vacina está super-atualizada!!!
Façam o mesmo, ok?

Translated English version:

Do you believe that a friend of mine sent me an alert and the procedure that we have to follow for the possible infection of SULFNBK.EXE. And I had checked, just to make sure. An then... the file was there, hidden even of McAfee and Norton, maybe waiting something to start work.
Well, see bellow the procedure that I followed step by step, and I found the file:

1. Start/Find Folders. Type the file name: SULFNBK.EXE
2. If it find, open Windows Explorer, browse into the folder where the file is and delete it. Do not click with left button on the file and do not open it.
3. Just delete it
4. Mine was on Windows/Command
5. The virus from the person who gave the alert was on Windows/Config

Yes, Norton and McAfee do not detect it.
We do not know if it makes some damage on the machine, but I think that anybody will not want to test it to know, will it?
Folks, this is not a fun, I delete it from my computer.
And my definitions are updated.
Do it the same, ok?

Category: Hoax

Please ignore any messages regarding this hoax and do not pass on messages. Passing on messages about the hoax only serves to further propagate it.

S

·
0 Posts
it's a hoax...
the file has a weird icon but is included in the windows installation....
nothing to worry about; every win98 system has it...well, except for enigma's system now O_O

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well on the contrary I also don't have any proof that it is a virus..............I just got a mail...they warned me.......I warned U...So why don't U do something for us if U don't think it is a virus...Search that file and execute it and then tell us what happens.........That would be funnnnnnnnn....

Ali
M.L.A

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
That's the old long filename backup program. Like the name suggests it backs up windows long file names into a file in case the resgistry gets corrupt and all the file names revert to the old 8.3 format. Utterly useless and safe enough to delete.

BTW as if to add more proof that its fake. A missleading executible as this would have been is called a trojan, not a virus. I suriously doupt that any antivirus company would make such an obvious slip.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Well.............
If it not virus it ok.Because I still can boot and do anything fine.
Everyone can misunderstand safty first right :D.................

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmmmmm..............well it's good if it is not a virus........

Ali
M.L.A

S

·
0 Posts
No, Disturbed, don't delete it. Leave it alone and every thing will be fine. We also get virus warnings where I work and we have heard nothing about this. So just ignore it.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
526 Posts
i just got of emailing everyone on my mailing list after i received this email warning about the file that not to remove this file .. These hoaxes do a lot of damages and people should do some research on these matters than to just blindly go around FWDing the mail to each and everyone and to create a panick ,,sheeshhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
513 Posts
>Is there any way I can get it back without reinstaling my whole
>computer?
I haven't any idea what .cab file it might reside in, but you can restore the file by using the "extract" utility that comes with Windows.

You'd want to use a command line like

extract /e /l C:\Windows\command\ cabinetname.cab sulfnbk.exe

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is NOT a virus. It is a file that is installed with Windows. The file is not needed however. It is okay to delete the file, but there is really no point in it. The file serves no purpose.

There are no undetectable viruses as of right now, and this virus can not be detected, therefore it does not exist. If you go out and buy a new computer right now, then search for sulfnbk.exe, you will see it there. It means nothing.

THIS VIRUS IS ABOUT AS REAL AS THOSE ANNOYING MESSAGES YOU GET ON ICG SAYING THAT IF YOU DO NOT SEND THE MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED.

Go ahead and delete it if you want, but you have to be pretty dumb to believe an email like that(please don't take offense if this applies to you;) ).

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Guys
Sorry to bother U with suck a fuckin false Virus warning....!
As I said in my post that I am not sure whether this warning exists or not..........it is definitly a HOAX.......yea it is false........!
I never did this intentionally.........I am telling the truth....

I got a mail from smart Reminders and they say

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Liaqat Ali,

SmartReminders has detected the following computer virus alert:

Well-meaning people warning computer users that their PCs may contain a virus called sulfnbk.exe are sending around a false email. The message suggests that the virus will be triggered on June 1, 2001 has many people in false alarm. The email which originated in Portuguese and has been reported in Brazil, has now been translated and appears to be traveling in UK and US emails, warning people to delete a harmless Microsoft Windows utility—called sulfnbk.exe—from their hard disks. Antivirus experts were quick to point out that the e-mail does not contain a worm. Sulfnbk.exe is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names, according to Symantec, and deleting it could cause that feature to cease working properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am fucked man.....I deleted the file and I apologize to those who deleted the file because of me......I am sorry...and would try to never post this shot again.......again thousand apologzese...

Ali
M.L.A

1 - 20 of 21 Posts