Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't going to surprise some of you, but for the rest of you I ran into a fairly old (October 24) survey posted by the Pew Research Center that seems pretty interesting regarding the U.S. election for president. It shouldn't take too long to read, so give it a look when you have twenty minutes or so.

Survey says...

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Hmmm well I'm not too surprised regarding the media. Whilst I was touring the Us/Canada this summer, I did watch some of your news stations. No offense, but it is very different to what we have. Very hard to describe, but it was as if it was more "sensationalised". It reminds me of tabloid newspapers here. They care more about their profits than actual factual integrety. Hence their stories are "spiced up" to make folks want to read it, rather than just relaying the facts. I got the similar impression in US news, only instead of sales, it's ratings (AKA avertising revenue). Such a system by it's very nature is inherant to bias.

Strangely though I didn't get anywhere near as strong an impression with canadian news :p.

·
Registered
833 Posts
LoL yup thats the type of news we have here in the United States. The worst is 20/20 on ABC. They try to make you worry about everything you do. I just stopped watching news all together on tv. Pretty much everything i get news wise is from the internet.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Strangely though I didn't get anywhere near as strong an impression with canadian news
always good to hear :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
So where do you get your news. Like, where specifically on the internet? I only trust the Drudge Report so far.
Strangely though I didn't get anywhere near as strong an impression with canadian news .
What about the UK and France? The Guardian actually got off on saying it wanted President Bush dead.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well normally I get the news from lisening to radio 1. It's non commerical, so it has the least chance of being biased.

I don't know about france because I haven't really been there much (plus my french langauge skills have much to be desired :p ). However I do agree with you regarding the UK papers. They will do anything for that exclusive and have been known to manipulate front page layouts to be deliberately misleading on first glance (just to boost sales). Actually they are probably worse than Us tv :D.

Although in defense of the guardian they do have a very good film section ;).

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
on the sensationalization of the news...YES it is horrendous (sp?) and its everywhere. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, all local news stations they all do it. We get news updates on the ones on how some little kid is doing for a paper cut...j/k but you get the idea.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Narrrf said:
What about the UK and France? The Guardian actually got off on saying it wanted President Bush dead.
I think the problem is that most European news media openly admit their political biases whereas the American media tries to maintain the myth of "impartiality" and "objectivity" in their news coverage.

Unicron said:
on the sensationalization of the news...YES it is horrendous (sp?) and its everywhere. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, all local news stations they all do it. We get news updates on the ones on how some little kid is doing for a paper cut...j/k but you get the idea.
Even worse than the infamous "fluff" and "feel good stories" are the "Global Minute" updates. I know that most American channels should focus on domestic matters but I think it's absurd to try to summarize the world's major news in one fricking minute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts