·
Banned
23,263 Posts
GET TO PLAYING THEM!!!!!!

its not to late!!!! D:

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Indeed there some very good games folowing the nes its now a days games that suck.

Nice work interesting to see a nes emu based on solely on DX10 to bad i'm on XP now and can't test it :p.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
Impressive emulator buddy but i guess you will have to add some limits to it... if i point to my collection of nes roms which is about 3500 roms(just the first part of my collection) it crash... i was expecting that tho because rendering 3500 games at once can be very heavy even for nowdays puters... also CPU usage on my Q6600 is about 10% with just 4 games... maybe you can use an old trick and un-load games that goes off screen..as i think that´s the only way to keep things at a normal level... just an idea tho.

Eitherway great work and keep it up because its rare to see a developer even here that cares about design which for me is a big point...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
hmm, I too have a very large collection of NES games like @ruantec...I'm not even gonna bother trying it on my C2D.

What might be a better idea is to have it use your recently played games. So it's empty until you play SMB, then when you start the emu up, it loads that. Then you play Bases Loaded and on next start it loads SMB and Bases Loaded--you see where this is going. This would work better because, admittedly, I have a ton of games that I don't even play, or play once every few years.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
hmm, I too have a very large collection of NES games like @ruantec...I'm not even gonna bother trying it on my C2D.

What might be a better idea is to have it use your recently played games. So it's empty until you play SMB, then when you start the emu up, it loads that. Then you play Bases Loaded and on next start it loads SMB and Bases Loaded--you see where this is going. This would work better because, admittedly, I have a ton of games that I don't even play, or play once every few years.
seconded!

another idea i got now is to load games on mouse over.. and the rest just keep a pic of it or just paused. and if you keep moving the mouse over them then it plays. don´t know if this can help but i did that in my case(hope it helps):

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for checking it out and for the feedback!

nemulator does not try to emulate (or even load) all games at once -- only the games that are visible are being emulated. My i7 920 system does this at about 25% CPU utilization.

re: crashing -- this is not due to having too many roms -- nemulator should be able to handle a virtually limitless number of roms in the directory (I just tested with 5600). It's more than likely a bug caused by an unsupported game or corrupt rom header (admittedly, my error handling code in these situations is not the best). If you happen to find out which game is causing the crash, please let me know.

hushpuppy -- I encourage you to give a try and see how it performs for you. Your C2D should be able to handle it (I was previously developing on a C2D before lightning took out my computer :dead:).

·
Read Only
9,687 Posts

nemulator does not try to emulate (or even load) all games at once -- only the games that are visible are being emulated. My i7 920 system does this at about 25% CPU utilization.

re: crashing -- this is not due to having too many roms -- nemulator should be able to handle a virtually limitless number of roms in the directory (I just tested with 5600). It's more than likely a bug caused by an unsupported game or corrupt rom header (admittedly, my error handling code in these situations is not the best). If you happen to find out which game is causing the crash, please let me know.

hushpuppy
-- I encourage you to give a try and see how it performs for you. Your C2D should be able to handle it (I was previously developing on a C2D before lightning took out my computer :dead:).
lol please get the name right. :lol:

By the way, it figures you have a powerful pc to try all those games at once.

Keep working on it. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts

hushpuppy -- I encourage you to give a try and see how it performs for you. Your C2D should be able to handle it (I was previously developing on a C2D before lightning took out my computer :dead:).
mmm that´s what i thought but i wasn´t sure... but i should have known that because loading all those games would be silly actually and pointless... anyways i think some of my roms may be corrupt tho... well i do not play all those 3500 roms to see which one works and which not :???:.

i´ll try to do some tests myself and see what game is causing the problem.. eitherway you should try handle errors while reading the headers :thumb: just curious are you using C or C++ to code that emu????

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
ok your emu seems to be quite accurrate i have to admit that and well coded but there´s another error i´ve found... when you browse roms and hold down the right row key or the left and try to browse roms quickly the emu crash... i guess you´re using separate threads to handle the rendering right?? or are you doing the DoEvents trick? i noticed when i browse that fast the memory keeps growing and it seems like some data doesn´t get released which could be the reason for the crash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok your emu seems to be quite accurrate i have to admit that and well coded but there´s another error i´ve found... when you browse roms and hold down the right row key or the left and try to browse roms quickly the emu crash... i guess you´re using separate threads to handle the rendering right?? or are you doing the DoEvents trick?
That's an interesting one... should show the first letter of the roms you're scrolling through (see the video on the media page at nemulator.com). Do you ever see the letter or does it crash immediately? If you received an application error, let me know what it said (e.g., "The instruction at xxx...")

re: architecture. There is one main thread which handles input, graphics, and sound. Emulation happens in separate threads.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
That's an interesting one... should show the first letter of the roms you're scrolling through (see the video on the media page at nemulator.com). Do you ever see the letter or does it crash immediately? If you received an application error, let me know what it said (e.g., "The instruction at xxx...")

re: architecture. There is one main thread which handles input, graphics, and sound. Emulation happens in separate threads.
i can see the letter but it crash immediatly sometimes...btw how can i get the controls working??? i´ve added my joystick values in the settings file but nothing works??? any keyboard shortcuts i should know??? btw here´s a pic of the error:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.