Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an eee pc and wanted some suggestions for some of the best lightweight software for usage on a netbook. I was looking for things like mp3 software, virus scanner etc.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I got an eee pc recently too, heres a few recommendations
tightvnc - its great app to control other computers
Norton Internet Security 2009 - Although they have a bad history with it bieng a resource hog, 2009 series makes it the fastes and the lowest retail antivirus/internet security app
Community Codec (google it) pack/VNC - Great for watching all types of videos
Irfanview - Great, lightweight app for viewing any form of multimedia quickly and easily. It is also great for fixing photos and has great batch support
The Longest Journey and Blade Runner - I know they are games but they are the best adventure games ever! The other thing is the game looks less pixelated due to the smaller screen

By the way I am using my eee pc writing the message, man I love the eee pc

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
tightvnc - its great app to control other computers
It's an adequate remote desktop solution. RDP is far superior if available.

Norton Internet Security 2009
Good god NO!!! Stay away from this at all costs. I'm an internet tech and I spend a good chunk of my time coaching customers on how to uninstall this crap. It's often worse than actually getting a virus.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Community Codec (google it) pack/VNC - Great for watching all types of videos
Don't install any Community Codec Packs. These packs install a ton of codecs on your system which in many cases, can conflict with one another. Use ffdshow tryouts instead. It's actually just one codec that can encode/decode multiple audio/video codec streams.

For a video player, I recommend Media Player Classic Homecinema. In fact, using this, you might not need ffdshow at all since MPC-HC internally supports just about every codec built into ffdshow. It also features DVD playback, it can parse and play .mkv and .ogg videos, and supports both internal and external subtitles.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
mplayer: Entering MPlayer homepage , nothing is faster or simpler (and still _very_ customizable) for videos and mp3 (though you might want a gui for playlists, but for single instant play of mp3's it is the s**t. No external codecs needed either.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
cccp uses ffdshow. It works great.
Just looked it up. Good to see that this pack includes the essentials. Most codec packs I've seen in the past just install every codec imaginable.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
playback of higher resolution videos can be kind of troublesome with the eee pc's weak graphics processor, is there anything comparable to coreavc for mkv and h264 ?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
playback of higher resolution videos can be kind of troublesome with the eee pc's weak graphics processor, is there anything comparable to coreavc for mkv and h264 ?
mkv is a container format similar to mp4, ogg, and (to a lesser extent) avi.

h264 is the codec. ffdshow tryouts, CCCP, mPlayer, and MPC-HC can all handle this codec. Unless your eee has an ATI 1800 or newer or an nVidia 8XXX or newer graphics, h264 will be decoded via your CPU.

mPlayer, MPC-HC, and ffdshow have options to adjust to improve speed on lower spec processors.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
You could try the latest version of VLC? I think the thing is quite fast, and I can view some 720p contents even without overclocking. Now... h264 at high bitrates is another problem altogether. 1080p decoding is nigh impossible on my machine here. Yours might have slightly better luck at that.

Oh yeah, and for music, I find tweaking Winamp gave the best light-weight MP3 and music player (plus it lets you playback most other emulation music as well), and ironically, it uses waayy less CPU than most other players I tried, including Foobar.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
community codec pack is dedicated to eliminating those conflicts and makes those troublesome games work... not unlike the crappy kazaa lite codec pack which is filled with beta crap and ends up getting some media files and games not to work.... let me say it again community codec is perfect, i have never ever had a problem with it period

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
As i've said. no combo of media player classic and a bunch of external codecs, or vlc or any other media player is faster and more tuned for a smaller computer where resource-saving is king, than mplayer. try it and see.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
As i've said. no combo of media player classic and a bunch of external codecs, or vlc or any other media player is faster and more tuned for a smaller computer where resource-saving is king, than mplayer. try it and see.
Already did? :p CoreAVC beats mPlayer by miles when it comes to decoding h264 or MKV. mPlayer lags like there's no tomorrow when it comes to h264 beyond 720p. Heck... even 720p is barely playable. h264 720p is like a slideshow with mPlayer.

With CoreAVC, I can occasionally play some 1080p contents, and all 720p contents. VLC is getting close to that, but it's still barely playable for 720p. At least it doesn't lag as much as mPlayer.

We're talking about squeezing out every last ooze of processing cycles on extremely slow computers, not just "slow" computers.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Well i can confess that i haven't played around with an ee-pc. and it is true that mplayer at absolute by default is no quickie' when it comes to xxxx*720 and above material compressed with x/h264. But it can be configured to do the task just as well, selecting the right vo and filters and cache settings and more. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts