Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Emu author
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I posted about this before but I am currently in a dispute with a ebay guy who never sent me the gfx card i paid for.

A few things I need to say spec wise to give you a better idea of what I can actually use. (I am not upgrading the psu, too expensive)

Dell Inspiron 530
Q6600 Quad Core 2.4ghz
3GB DDR 2 Ram
ATI 2600 XT 256mb
400W PSU

The purpose I want this graphics card for is Dolphin and PCSX2 mainly but other emulators will be used too.

The ATI is really ****ting out my system. I get pretty lame fps on Dolphin because of it (some games run great, but others like WW (20fps) and crash bandicoot (15>17fps) ...

I am leaning toward an nvidia...

I did read on loads of sites that people are running 9600GT's on there inspiron 530's using the stock psu without issues..

Thanks for responses and sorry for asking again

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
The question is...what are your budgets?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Value wise, I'd suggest the 9600GT like you said Zack. Hell, spend the extra few dollars and grab a 9800GT instead :p It's has plenty of GPU power for emulation :)
Yep, I fully agree, that's pretty much what I would have said.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yeah, a 400W PSU can handle a Q9400 + 9800GT according to a Fujitsu Siemens prebuilt...so you should be fine.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yeah, a 400W PSU can handle a Q9400 + 9800GT according to a Fujitsu Siemens prebuilt...so you should be fine.
It's a Q6600, it's a bigger energy gobbler than the Q9 series, especially if he's looking into overclocking it. Though there's not much chance of that on a Dell. I hope he has a volt meter, last night I checked up on the PC of my neighbours, and their PC had like 11.5 Volts where it should give 12. If it weren't for that being an old PC they simply got from a friend who didn't need it anymore, I'd have said to ditch it right away, that was an HP system. So I hope yours is of better quality. (Checking HWmonitor and the fluctuations when your system is stressed and idle is recommended)

I'd got with 98000GT or 9600GT, according to budget. Though if you want to go a bit more medium profile, I checked out my girlfriend's Club3D HD4670 yesterday, on a 2.4 GHZ e4400, and it ran Mass Effect at a full 60FPS constantly, at maxed out settings @ 1280. I was impressed. So that may be a nice budget last resort as wel :)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Hmm true...I forgot that it was a 65nm VS 45nm...I just thought less power VS more power...

I have seen Q6600 + 8600GT prebuilts on a 400W PSU as well though...and the 9600GT should not draw too much more...the 9800GT would perhaps, but the 9600GT should definitely be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts