Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder which spu plugin is the best. I have never tried Iori plugins, but I've tried the others, and there are some games where I am not satisfied with any.
For example, in Chrono Cross, before the beginning of a fight, and in Final Fantasy Tactics, in the tutorial, after 30 seconds there is a new instrument in the music that doesn't sound correctly and the sound when I move in the menu is not right (I have a Playstation).

So, which plugin sounds like a real Playstation and what are the best settings ?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Depends. As you quite rightly said, the sound is not perfect. Certain games are better with certain plugins. As for me I use Loris mainly and if that doesn't work then I use the internal one with a custom game setting for my live card to get the reverb switched on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Iori's SPU plugin works best for me, my system is stable while using it and it works with all the games I have.It is one of the best regarding sound quality so that's why it is my defacto SPU.
Of course it is a matter of personal preference.

S

·
0 Posts
I, too, would have to reccommend Iori's SPU. I just downloaded version 1471 and it works fantastically. I think that Iori's is about he best you're going to find, short of an actual PSX.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax
Depends. As you quite rightly said, the sound is not perfect. Certain games are better with certain plugins. As for me I use Loris mainly and if that doesn't work then I use the internal one with a custom game setting for my live card to get the reverb switched on.
What setting do you use? I never thought about using the 10k effects thingy in ePSXe. Maybe I'll try it, but I think Iori's would still sound better.

·
Blitz Gundam Pilot
1,014 Posts
I love to use Pete's DSound 1.10

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've made some tests yesterday : I've launched a game on my PSX and the same game on ePSXe in the same time to compare sound.

For Final Fantasy Tactics, I think that Pete Sound 1.10 is the closest to real PSX : music is good, sound when you move in the menus is almost perfect (it lasts too long)

For Chrono Cross, the best spu plugin is Iori 1.471 because it plays almost all sounds, indeed with Pete Dsound, it lacks for example the elevator sound at the beginning, and the sound before the beginning of a fight.

So I think that Pete DSound plugin sounds like the PSX, but it lacks some features, and Iori plugin plays all sounds, but some don't sound correctly.
So, if we can have the best of both plugins in one plugin, I think there would be a almost perfect SPU (I hope that Pete works on his SPU plugin)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by firestarter
Whatever happened to Null2? :(
Discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
AFAIK,null2 has been helping almost everyone in SPU plugins production,so he has already helped the ePSXe team,now if you say that he is in charge of the SPU plugin of ePSXe,it's a different thing,and I really don't know anything about that.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by Adair

What setting do you use? I never thought about using the 10k effects thingy in ePSXe. Maybe I'll try it, but I think Iori's would still sound better.
Yep loris is better all right. The only game I can't get to sound right is FF9 (the cursor sound really bugs me) Hence I use the internal one for that. Oh and the ironic thing is that it sounds best using the ff7pc eax setting on the launcher. The reverb is perfect. (They mustn't have changed the cursor effect since then)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax
Yep loris is better all right. The only game I can't get to sound right is FF9 (the cursor sound really bugs me) Hence I use the internal one for that. Oh and the ironic thing is that it sounds best using the ff7pc eax setting on the launcher. The reverb is perfect. (They mustn't have changed the cursor effect since then)
Ok. I'll just stick with Iori's, but thanks for the idea.

S

·
0 Posts
Rumors are fine gunblade99 as long as you are prepared to accept the fact that they may not be entirely correct. Who knows where your friend heard it? He may have heard form a very authoritative source and it could very well turn out to be true. I hope so, because this would improve the internal SPU of ePSXe greatly. Thanks for sharing this.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Another SPU to use

For those inquiring about Null2....around June 26th..PSXemu posted news of a SPU plugin called Prodigy SPU that was supposed to be based on Null2...We tested it and it works great on some games (Particularly FF8).....There is no website of the author..it just surfaced...It can still be downloaded here
http://www.psxemu.com/psemu/plugins/win32/spu/spuProdigy.zip

Other then that we use Iori / Pete Dsound...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts