Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for a new firewall since the existing one i have (zonealarm pro) slows down my PC a ton. is there any that have good protection AND performance?

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Comodo. IMO its the best. By alot.

That said, installing anything more than a free antivirus is overkill IMO.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
when behind a gateway/router.

direct connection to the net would need a software firewall.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
I'm behind a router with an SPI firewall, but also have Comodo installed as an added layer of defense :heh:

Its good, but sometimes it can be really annoying when it asks for your permission for REALLY petty things even though the application initiating them is marked as trusted. But once you've trained it a little, its pretty good.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just went to install comodo after restarting and when i start the installer, it comes up with a blank window titled "comodo internet security installer" and when i click next, it does nothing. i've checked that it's the correct version (x32 since i'm running xp 32 bit) but nothing is happening.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Just like every other time this topic comes up, I give the same answer: Sygate. It lets me control what program gets a connection - what else does one need?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I use Cfosspeed's built-in 'firewall'. I never liked being bugged if this program should be allowed on the internet, and such. Cfosspeed to stealth my ports, and Antivir to pick up any bad backdoor programs

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
I'm using the Eset firewall (along with the antivirus), and so far it's been working great.

We got a firewall on the router, but since I don't trust anyone's computer skills (but mine), I'm using firewall+antivirus on both my desktop and laptop. Not having any files shared and denying access to my comp via LAN works great too :D

If it's been only me with the internet access from the router, I don't think I'd be arsed installing anti virus and/or firewall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.