Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to play FF7. When i was with W95 i had a set of choices that made the game look really nice, but now i have W2K and couldnt find a good settings. Could someone help me?

My config:

AMD Athlon 1Ghz - 128Mb Ram
ATI All in Wonder RadeOn 32Mb with the latest drivers... (im not at home right now, but i think its version 5.1.3162. if u guys need to know the version tell it in a post and when im home i check it again)
Creative SoundBlaster 128 PCI
Windows 2000 with Direct X 8.0a

Im used to use Pete's OpenGL drivers + Epsxe Sound Core, but even them that made about 90fps on W95 only makes 20 fps on W2K, i could do a setting with D3D that made about 40fps with lots of glitchs.

Anyone also having this problem? :(

[]'s

Tenchi Muyou

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
I havent got an all in wonder radeon but I have the 64ddr version radeon I use the omega drivers from http://209.145.56.247/ they work great for me , better than ati's official crap.
I dont know why you favour open gl as I allways use petes d3d as it looks better imo.
Im running xp pro.I dont have FF7 so I cant run it on mine sorry.
I cant see why your getting such a bad drop in fps in w2k all I can say is make sure your not running with full vram turned on ,put frame buffer to black ,check if fsaa is on as that could slow you down and give the omega drivers a try.

·
Registered
121 Posts
thanks for the link, :)

ATI drivers seems to give me unecessary frame rate drops ... even after I've updated the driver from ATI ... I'll give Omega driver a try. :)

Update DirectX to 8.1 may also help, especially for P4 machines (XP comes with DirectX 8.1).

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i have 8.0, but ill update it soon, right now im preparing things to reboot my system to finish installing the omega drivers....
hope they r as better as ppl say. At least my original cd drivers are here on my side so if anything goes wrong i can go back. After installing these is that im going to get direct x 8.1 and give it a try.

BTW, let me ask you something. Have you noted some slowdown when you open the TV program?

[]'s

Tenchi Muyou

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by JAZ
I havent got an all in wonder radeon but I have the 64ddr version radeon I use the omega drivers from http://209.145.56.247/ they work great for me , better than ati's official crap.
I dont know why you favour open gl as I allways use petes d3d as it looks better imo.
Im running xp pro.I dont have FF7 so I cant run it on mine sorry.
I cant see why your getting such a bad drop in fps in w2k all I can say is make sure your not running with full vram turned on ,put frame buffer to black ,check if fsaa is on as that could slow you down and give the omega drivers a try.
i prefer opengl for just one reason. On W98 it was hell faster than D3D. the graphics were about the same, but in matter of speed... i can only say: WOW!

btw, mine is same than yours except for the RAM, i have 32mb and you 64.

[]'s

Tenchi Muyou

·
Registered
36 Posts
You know, I've been encountering the same problem with my AIW Radeon. For the record, I have an Athlon TBird 900, a SB Live! and 512MB of memory running W2K.

My performance in General has been a bit less than spectacular. Hearing about these new drivers is giving me new hope.

Incidentally, I DO experience a slowdown when using my TV program. I think it has to do with the caption decoder because once I "broke" it, it sped up considerably. Also, the caption decoder was having trouble, occasionally "repeating tttters", skipping 2 and replacing with the next 2. Sounds like the caption system needs a speedup.

PS. Do the Omegadrive drivers support palettized textures?

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
btw, mine is same than yours except for the RAM, i have 32mb and you 64.
No I dont have an all in wonder radeon I have a 64ddr vivo...
The obvious differences are mines clocked at 183/183 before I overclock it and I dont have a Tv tuner built in.
Therefore I dont experiance this tv slowdown thing as my card doesnt have it.
PS. Do the Omegadrive drivers support palettized textures?
I expect so as Omega just takes the fastest/best looking d3d driver and the fastest/best looking OGL driver and mixes them together..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Omega works well.

not sure if it's the DirectX 8.1 or the Omega driver, but the texture blending looks very nice with Pete's OGL now. :)

I haven't tried overclocking the ATI GPU yet ...

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
a thought or two

Greetings,

As it just so happens, I have an AiW Radeon myself. I personally have never had any problems with ATI's drivers, UNTIL I tried switching my OS to winXP (and consequently switched back to win98SE).

I have always tried to keep up on hardware and the latest benchmark scores, and what it boils down to is that the ATI drivers take a remarkable performance hit when running anything excpet win98. Im talking anywhere from 5 to 20 %...while this doesnt explain the huge gap you were facing, I think it is one of the issues.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt ePSXe run slower under win2K to begin with? I thought I heard that somewhere...

Its interesting that you chose the OpenGL over the Direct3D...could it possibly have to do with the version of DirectX you were running under 95? I ask because for me eveything happen almost opposite to you. Direct3D is much faster, while OpenGL regularly gives me flaws.

But I will say this...using the latest ATI drivers, win98, and petes D3D, I was able to run chrono cross with texture filtering on BOTH plug-in and video card drivers, and 4X anti-aliasing @ 1600X1200 resolution. The only sacrafice I had to make was to turn off FVP and set the Framebuffer to black...no fancy battle intros, but well worth the look of the polys once in actual battle.

I never played FF7 on ePSXe, but with 9 I can usually run texture filtering, 4X anti-aliasing, and all the goodies except FVP at 1024X768 with no slow-downs or problems whatsoever. You shouldnt have any problems with slowdowns playing FF7.

Anyway, just some thoughts that occured to me in my delirious-been-awake-too-long state. Damned finals.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

1Ghz Athlon-C, ABITKT7A-RAID MoBo, 512MB PC150 RAM, AiW Radeon, Game TheaterXP, IBM 307030 HD, 4-pt. surround w/sub, 19"flatscreen monitor, GravisGamePadPRoUSB X2

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
oh oh oh oh

Hey, I just remembered something!

This could possibly be your problem...go into the advanced settings of your card, go to both the OpenGL and the Direct3D settings, and change the alpha blending to the second option down on the sroll list. If either of these was set to the first option, it will DRASTICALLY slow down your system, particularly when running ePSXe. I dun know why, but it definetly does.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
Registered
121 Posts
hmm ... I'm running Radeon 7200 64 DDR on Win98 SE.

after all these tweaking, Omega driver, directX8.1, setting adjustments etc.

OGL runs about 20% faster than D3D.

my major complaint about OGL right now is that in many games, notable front mission 3, some scene suffers from a HUGE refreshment problems (I can actually see the screen flashing badly in triangluar patterns, :( )

Wonder anyone have the same problem?
(it's using Pete's OGL 1.55)

·
Registered
121 Posts
for those of you that run D3D fast. can you attach screenshots of your ATI advanced settings and the D3D setting?

thx. :)

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
for those of you that run D3D fast. can you attach screenshots of your ATI advanced settings and the D3D setting?
I use a proggy called tweaker 5.1 from humus....
With this u can set all the d3d and ogl extensions to what u like and overclock your card etc...
I find the best setting is to use the built in profile called hyper z on which just turns on all parts of hyper z and allows the game you are using to choose other settings it needs...

ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/threedee/tweakfiles/video/Tweaker5.1.zip

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cool, think I'll give it a try ...

I actually have that program, just never got around to test it.

thx.

BTW: do you encounter the screen refresh problem I mentioned earlier?

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
BTW: do you encounter the screen refresh problem I mentioned earlier?
Well I tried 2 games in OGL (ridge racer high spec edition/rollcage) and I didnt experiance what you described....

·
Registered
36 Posts
A word of caution to those who try the Omegadrive drivers with an All-in-Wonder Radeon. Don't expect your TV to work. I haven't gotten it to run at all since using those drivers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
agreed.

Further more I just found out the Omega driver does funny things with ATI settings as well.

Some of the games actually runs 30% slower after I replaced the newest ATI dirver with the Omega driver ... :(

This maybe is caused by Omega driver is not optimized for directX 8.1 which the newest ATI driver does address.

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
If your changing ati driver sets I recomend u follow these steps to get the best from them>
1). Uninstall your current ATI display driver. Do this by going into your control panel and running add/remove programs. ATI Display Driver should be one of the first few on your list. Choose yes when it asks if you would like to uninstall. Choose no when it asks to reboot.

2). Remove all leftover .inf files. Windows will use these to reinstall drivers (or at least try) without giving you an option for a clean install. To do this, you'll want to do a find all files/search, which can be accessed via the start menu. Windows ME has it labelled as search, and I believe Windows 9x has it labelled as find. In the search window, you'll want to enter ati*.inf as the target file. Don't bother making it search your whole hard disk, instead, under the look in field, type in C:\Windows\Inf, and make sure look in sub-folders is checked. Now your set, click find/search. Delete all files which it reports (make sure the location is c:\windows\inf or c:\windows\inf\other, do not delete ati*.inf files in other directories, just in case you chose to search your entire hard drive). Once you've completed the .inf flush, you're now ready to move on.

3). Reboot your computer. Windows will load with a default VGA adapter driver, which the ATI uninstall conveniently installs for you. Little do we know, ATI forgot to take out all the registry settings, ack! Here's what you need to do...

4). Run regedit. To do this, hit Start, click Run, and type regedit in the field and press Enter or hit OK. The windows registry entry will pop up. There are two sections you'll need to delete garbage from, the first one being the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. Click the plus next to software and in the directory tree below it you will see a key labelled ATI Technologies, simply highlight this key and hit the delete key on your keyboard. Click yes to confirm removal when Windows prompts you. That will fix all previous tweaks you may have done, so you can ensure a fresh driver install at default settings. Now, on to the next key(s) you'll want to delete. WARNING! The following keys which I recommend you delete automatically assume you are using only one display adapter(video card) in your system. If you are using more than one, I will assume you are literate enough to know which keys can safely be deleted without mucking up your secondary adapter. Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\DISPLAY, click the plus next to DISPLAY and you will see at least one sub key, normally labelled 0000. If your registry is dirty, you will likely see multiple keys, such as 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on. If you have only one video card in your system, it is now safe to delete every sub key of DISPLAY, including 0000. To do this highlight each key respectively and hit the delete key on your keyboard, click yes when Windows asks if you wish to remove the entry. Once you have deleted all keys, it is now time to close the regedit program and move on to the next step.

5). You will now need to go into your system device manager, which can be accessed in two ways. One, by right clicking on My Computer, clicking Properties, and then Device Manager in the following window, or you can access the device manager in your system Control Panel and double clicking on the System icon, and clicking Device Manager in the following window. Under Device Manager click the plus symbol next to Display Adapters, you will now see the Standard PCI adapter listed below. Highlight it and hit the delete key on your keyboard and click yes to confirm when Windows prompts you. It will then ask you to reboot your computer to finish removing the device, click no. Next step.

6). Extract/Unzip/Decompress your Radeon drivers of choice to a location which you will remember (I use C:\Windows\Desktop\Radeon). Once you have extracted the drivers, you can now reboot your computer to manually install them. I do NOT recommend using the ATI setup program to install drivers. When you reboot your computer, Windows will detect new hardware and ask if you wish for it to search for drivers. I always tell Windows where to search, and do not recommend you let Windows search automatically. Since Windows 9x and Windows ME vary slightly in this driver install process, I will assume you are familiar with basic driver installation and can handle pointing Windows to the directory which you extracted the drivers (i.e. C:\Windows\Desktop\Radeon for 7041 whql or C:\Windows\Desktop\Radeon\ATIDrive for all other driver packages). From here you may proceed to let Windows search the specified directories for the .inf file containing the driver install information, and the rest should be fairly self explanatory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts