Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... either PEOpS Soft plugin with Scale3x or HQ3X (or another of your preference), or Pete's OGL2 with some nice scaling shader.
Hmm I have the 1.78 OPEN GL one from peops and also the latest one from Pete. What is this Scale3x and HQ3X thing, where can I get it ?

Also on what resolution is the best to play 2d games on, in your opinion ?

·
クロスエクス
4,890 Posts
Pete's OGL is not one I would recomend for 2D games. As said, just PEOpS Soft
for any card, or Pete's OGL2 if your card can handle the scaling shaders.

Latest PEOpS Soft already have those filters under "Stretching". For OGL2, you would
need the appropriate shader, like the ones from Guest's shader pack.

As for resolution, it depends on the filter you intend to use. For example, if the original
resolution is 320x240 and wanting to use Scale2x, you would better use the double
resolution like 640x480, and analog for other filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah thx ye i got it now, I was confused that there was the option to configure the soft plugin even though I had the normal one selected.

So what are the main differences between Scale3x or HQ3X ? What should I use on a 800x600 resolution (window mode) and should I use it with stretching or without.

·
クロスエクス
4,890 Posts
That configuration for PEOpS Soft is available since you can now (since ePSXe v1.7.0)
switch while "ingame" to that plugin by pressing F7. Pressing the key again, will switch
back to the selected plugin.

As for the scaling filter, try them and see for yourself, since "best" is very subjective.
Although, you should use the "stretched" versions for the following:

Suppose the game has two resolutions, 320x240 while playing and 640x480 on menus.
If you use a 3x scaling filter, the resolutions will be: 960x720 and 1920x1440 respectively.
Therefore, without scaling, you will only see what your resolution can show, which is
a fraction of the full image.

Also, if you're going to use 800x600, a 2x scaling filter is more than enough.
No matter what kind of filter you apply, you won't be able to turn it into HD content.
(and then you'll need a higher resolution of course! :x3:)
(that smiley is so funny)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That configuration for PEOpS Soft is available since you can now (since ePSXe v1.7.0)
switch while "ingame" to that plugin by pressing F7. Pressing the key again, will switch
back to the selected plugin.

As for the scaling filter, try them and see for yourself, since "best" is very subjective.
Although, you should use the "stretched" versions for the following:

Suppose the game has two resolutions, 320x240 while playing and 640x480 on menus.
If you use a 3x scaling filter, the resolutions will be: 960x720 and 1920x1440 respectively.
Therefore, without scaling, you will only see what your resolution can show, which is
a fraction of the full image.

Also, if you're going to use 800x600, a 2x scaling filter is more than enough.
No matter what kind of filter you apply, you won't be able to turn it into HD content.
(and then you'll need a higher resolution of course! :x3:)
(that smiley is so funny)
One more question m8, what does Dithering do and on what do you recommend me to have it ?

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
this should be fine, also enable 2xsai for 2d is great
ogl2 i use it for everything

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 1440x900 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: *~

- Filtering: 2
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 512 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 1/3
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.